Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD's shame after child A&E visit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »
    You are forgetting that Kenny had a Tánaiste, a Labour Party Tánaiste.
    It was a coalition government and Labour were never going to take out the knife and cut/reform the HSE as their paymasters in SIPTU would have given them a quick slap across the face.

It sure would have been interesting though had FG an overall majority.

What's the bollocks excuse for doing fup all these days, Brexit?

P.S: Neither myself nor the public forgot Labour's part. They paid the price. Your chiselers are still there passing the buck. After the generational debt was taken on was the time Kenny bottled it or more likely rubbed his little grubby hands together and got to work on the IW quango.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What's the bollocks excuse for doing fup all these days, Brexit?

In case you have not noticed, FG is in minority government. Any attempt to take the knife to the HSE unilaterally will end up in an election. Besides, there is the great white hope of SlainteCare.

Is Slaintecare something you back, or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

shesty wrote: »
    My reaction was that she was a bit late to the party on this.
    I have spent a few hours in Temple St A&E with children.Never anything very serious thankfully, so I pretty much end up apologising to staff every time.At least 2 of the times have been simply because it was a Friday/Saturday night, DDoc had a 6-8 hour wait for appointments and they told.me go.to Temple st because the child was small.Receptionist in Temple St throws her eyes to heaven when you tell her that, but sure she knows as well as me the whole system is a farce.You could spend up to 8 hours sitting in the waiting room there, it's chaos.Last time I was there, they had to monitor my 1 year old for a couple of hours.There was no.bed in a&e -not a huge problem in itself, but it was late at night and he was very tired and there were just a few hard seats along a staff desk in A&E for me to sit on with him.It was along the side of a walk.through area for trolleys and staff.Not ideal.

The system is a shambles.No way should private practice be allowed in public hospitals.No way should private patients be taking up public beds.In fact we should either have an entirely private or an entirely public system (funded by more taxes obviously).Far more money needs to be put into the system but the spending also needs to be managed properly.I don't think it's rocket science myself but it needs a commitment to see it through.I am not holding my breath though.

Little use in pumping in even more funding into a shambolic system. No government here will have the courage - or indeed the mandate - to do what is necessary to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

In a word, no.

The time to have done that would have been when the Troika were here. That was the time to make the savage cuts necessary to the HSE Admin Monster.

Now is too late and I really can't see it getting any better as the population grows.

I always thought that if gps were givin more power, would that offset pressure in hospitals.
    Would this work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been in 3 different hospitals the last 2 weeks, with both parents and a visit myself, the number one thing that struck me was the amount of foreign nationals, there's way too many people here for the health system that's in place,

You do realise that most of the foreign nationals you see in Irish hospitals are staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The election must be coming in the new year, sure she thinks something like this might get her a few more votes.

She can well afford to go private unlike most people who have no choice but to stick it out in public hospitals.

Went to A&E myself a few years ago at 9.30pm and waited until 8am next morning to be seen.

The Brits complain about the NHS but it's a dream compared with the clusterfook that the HSE is, and it's not a lack of money seeing as the health spend is nearly 16 billion a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TD in "how the other half actually live" shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

I posted this before, but anyway
    A mate of my oul lads worked for a skip hire company in the height of the recession.
    He went to the local hospital to collect one of the big roll off skips. He copped it was full of the steel beds still in the wrappers.
    Assuming someone had made a mistake he eventually found someone in the hospital n told them of the mistake. He was told the hospital had a budget every year n if it wasn't spent it'd be cut next year! No mistake, take them away.

Around the same time locals we're protest marching that services were being cut from the hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

My child was in crumlin ED at the same time and was seen in about 30 minutes.

If your child was sick enough to warrant being in an emergency department then they were seen, if not then you were told to wait.

Coughs and colds are not emergencies (apart from in the very young).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Stan27 wrote: »
    I always thought that if gps were givin more power, would that offset pressure in hospitals.
    Would this work ?

If you gave GPs more power, and essentially more work, you'll have to pay them more.

The problem is not with front line staffing.

The problem is with the HSE which is packed full of Middle Management on huge salaries and bonuses that really are not fixing the current system at all.

The Irish Health System was better when it was the old Health Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

If you gave GPs more power, and essentially more work, you'll have to pay them more.

The problem is not with front line staffing.

The problem is with the HSE which is packed full of Middle Management on huge salaries and bonuses that really are not fixing the current system at all.

The Irish Health System was better when it was the old Health Boards.

Put are the people who visit them not paying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

sdanseo wrote:
    It's very simple maths. Population increases, build more hospitals.
    There are already staff shortages in many hospital departments across the country.

No point in building hospitals with no one to staff them.

In case you have not noticed, FG is in minority government. Any attempt to take the knife to the HSE unilaterally will end up in an election. Besides, there is the great white hope of SlainteCare.

Is Slaintecare something you back, or not?

More baloney. Kenny had the chance and opted for a quango and looking after 'our own'. FG are happy to do nothing and they've Mr. Do nothing at the helm. All Varadkar did was bitch about every department but his own now he's a waste and a shyster of a public representative over seeing worsening crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

mountai wrote: »

Yes how unfair to pick on homeopathy, acupuncture, keto diets and prevent them to claim they cure cancer. Let's listen to an accountant on how we should allow quacks to take advantage of vulnerable and desperate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes how unfair to pick on homeopathy, acupuncture, keto diets and prevent them to claim they cure cancer. Let's listen to an accountant on how we should allow quacks to take advantage of vulnerable and desperate people.[/QUOTE

Einstein, who in 1905 added substantially to our early knowledge of quantum physics observed that “if at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”.

I suppose YOU must be cleverer than Einstein so .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Nobody is stopping you to cure your own cancer with keto diet but promoting something as a cure for deadly disease without supporting research is wrong wrong wrong. It's let's not vaccinate because the child will catch autism type of wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

More baloney. Kenny had the chance and opted for a quango and looking after 'our own'. FG are happy to do nothing and they've Mr. Do nothing at the helm. All Varadkar did was bitch about every department but his own now he's a waste and a shyster of a public representative over seeing worsening crises.

What quango in health did Kenny set up?
    When did Enda Kenny have an overall majority?
    Do you back Slaintecare?

Easy questions for you Matt, but I suspect you will answer none of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I think that would work too. The unions and bloated management block all chance of reform.
    .....its easy to target the backroom staff but the entire system would close down within hours if you arbitrarily sacked them all. Who do you think actually operates the buildings / gets the medical equipment and materials in/feeds people/makes up the rosters/administers the vast mountain of paperwork generated and the million other tasks a national medical system generates. Doctors and nurses don't. Consultants don't. Ordinary PAYE workers do, who earn considerably less than most doctors and nurses and suffer a lot of the abuse from the ignorant public. Doctors and nurses are highly unionised and will throw other grades under the bus when it suits them. Consultants will throw anyone below them under the bus, even their junior colleagues, to get what they want. When you have a system designed around the needs and wants of the consultant class, then you have a failed sytem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Stovepipe wrote: »
    .....its easy to target the backroom staff but the entire system would close down within hours if you arbitrarily sacked them all. Who do you think actually operates the buildings / gets the medical equipment and materials in/feeds people/makes up the rosters/administers the vast mountain of paperwork generated and the million other tasks a national medical system generates. Doctors and nurses don't. Consultants don't. Ordinary PAYE workers do, who earn considerably less than most doctors and nurses and suffer a lot of the abuse from the ignorant public. Doctors and nurses are highly unionised and will throw other grades under the bus when it suits them. Consultants will throw anyone below them under the bus, even their junior colleagues, to get what they want. When you have a system designed around the needs and wants of the consultant class, then you have a failed sytem.
    What??

Nobody said All the admin staff need to go. However the HSE is still horribly overstaffed in the wrong areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

I was in Tallaght A & E over the weekend and the place is also a shambles, I went in at 2 pm and there were people there since 11 pm the night before!

then I got seen at about 18:30 and was home for 8 pm, now that was with a broken leg, but surely the woman there since 11 pm should have been seen hours before me!!

Not sure what was wrong with her, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

F*ck her. She stepped out of her ivory tower and now she's crying crocodile tears.

You're on the health committee. Do your job, you Dot Cotton rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I have been to Tallaght children’s A&E on a few occasions and whoever is running it should be put in charge of the whole HSE

It works

I have found this too (the adult A&E is another thing). The children's A&E in Tallaght is fantastic.

I really feel for the staff, imagine day after day facing of queues of sick frustrated patients, it must be a living nightmare. I know I couldn't do it, the burn out rate must be massive.

Truth is there are people clogging up A&E departments nationwide who do not need to be there. Until we have a properly structured primary care set up with a publicly accessible intermediary care tier something along the lines of clinics inbetween the GP and the hospital (maybe a bit like swiftcare clinics) then this will continue.

Not to mention the whole medical card system should be completely overhauled.

I waited 14 hours in A&E with a very ill relative recently, sent there on the instruction of his GP who was adamant he go straight to hospital. When you are ill it's the worst place in earth to spend hours and hours waiting. He left at 3am having not been seen, he was too tired and too ill to wait any longer. The place was packed and it was clear there were some well seasoned A&E visitors there.

Tragically you could die in A&E and nobody would notice, and this is something that has actually happened here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

What??

Nobody said All the admin staff need to go. However the HSE is still horribly overstaffed in the wrong areas.

Investment in excellent IT systems in many hospitals would reduce the need for many of the admin staff.

What quango in health did Kenny set up?
    When did Enda Kenny have an overall majority?
    Do you back Slaintecare?

Easy questions for you Matt, but I suspect you will answer none of them.

You got caught lying, take it on the chin.

Irish Water. Never specified health.
    Not an excuse as discussed, that's your excuse. I never said they had nor needed it.
    See how it goes, on the fence.

Don't judge others by your own shenanigans. Go on to dodge by answering questions with questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

You got caught lying, take it on the chin.

Your lack of self awareness is hilarious, you could do with taking this advice the next time you make up something like "FG didn't pay any tax for 9 years".

christy c wrote: »
    Your lack of self awareness is hilarious, you could do with taking this advice the next time you make up something like "FG didn't pay any tax for 9 years".
    Fine Gael admits tax evasion over period of 9 years

Mr Noonan claimed the party disclosed the payments voluntarily to the Revenue Commissioners in 1999. However, in a statement the party admitted that the Revenue Commissioners dispute this, and say they had begun to investigate Fine Gael before the party revealed the payments.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/fine-gael-admits-tax-evasion-over-period-of-9-years-1.307406

You must be floating around with a little note pad of digs, 'That one will get Matt good!' underlined. Grand life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

They didn't.
    You must be floating around with a little note pad of digs, 'That one will get Matt good!' underlined. Grand life ;)

So are you back to pretending that FG didn't pay any tax? Why are you still lying? Especially after telling someone to take it on the chin.

No notepad, that's just your imagination again.

christy c wrote: »
    So are you back to pretending that FG didn't pay any tax? Why are you still lying? Especially after telling someone to take it on the chin.

No notepad, that's just your imagination again.

You raised it, I posted the facts on it. Jog on Christy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The whole culture of consultants having both a private and public clinic is where the issue lies.

Heres my story.
    Daughter diagnosed with scoliosis in December 2018. Contacted Crumlin Childrens hospital and was told she`d be put on the waiting list and we`d be contacted with an appointment.

Roll on August this year and still nothing so I asked which consultant she would be seeing. Found out he holds a private clinic in Santry Monday to Friday. I get an appointment within 2 days to see him in his private rooms. Shes seen and is now waiting on surgery. So my question is why can a consultant who has a clinic in Our Ladys hospital Monday to Friday still be able to have a private clinic also Monday to Friday?

Ill tell you why--Its because he doesn't show up half the time for his public clinics. Prefers to take his 300.00 euros for 15 minutes work. He just decides hes not going and his "team" will handle it.
    This is one of the issues that must cause frontline staff serious heartache.

The absolute ****ing idiot that is our health minister cant even be bothered returning any of my emails or letters as to why its allowed to happen.
    There should be a wholly public contract for consultants -- at least then you might get them working a 9 - 5 clinic. That one change would in my opinion solve a serious amount of the waiting list issues.

Its not the admin staff that should be slated--they really are doing their best. But how can they do their job when the only person that can make a decision on a sick persons treatment doesn't even bother his hole to show up for clinics.

I was even told by a nurse to arrive into A+E with my daughter and sit there until she saw her consultant..She not even that bad but why should I tie up the A+E when a more serious person needs it.

Its a cultural change that's needed from the top down.

Sorry for a rant but my blood is boiling with our health service.. Oh and for whats it worth I offered to pay in cash(by financing a loan on my house) for the surgery to get my daughter seen to quickly but the procedure isn't even done on private insurance policies. So Im stuck waiting with the public system. I even asked about travelling to the UK or Europe but that cant be approved until shes on a waiting list for 2+ years!!!!

Oh yeah and also there are 2 operating theatres in Crumlin that carry this surgery out.
    One of them isn't even operating (excuse the pun) and the other one is only working 3 days a week instead of 5 like it should be.

The waiting list for my daughter is about 18 months now. Imagine being a 13/14 year old girl with a curved spine. Never mind what it does for your physical appearance--imagine what it does for her confidence at that age.

Im ****ing fuming with the state that these successive governments have done to our health service.

Sorry rant over/

Advertisement