Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents found guilty of mutilating one year daughters genitals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It should be mandatory 20 year sentence for that barbarity. Send a message.

Incidentally, FGM has nothing to do with religion; it's a cultural ritual. It predates Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Why were these people allowed into this country in the first place and then allowed to practice this barbarity , when released from jail (which will be shortly)deported back to their country of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

terenc wrote: »
    Why were these people allowed into this country in the first place and then allowed to practice this barbarity , when released from jail (which will be shortly)deported back to their country of origin.

It’s become in excess of a hundred million euro per year industry. All paid for by us. I don’t understand why the government allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It should be mandatory 20 year sentence for that barbarity. Send a message.

Incidentally, FGM has nothing to do with religion; it's a cultural ritual. It predates Islam.

Sadly its become interrwined with it and some african minority religions. Non EU migrants really need to be heavily screened for Beliefs on FGM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The lack of ability to deport is a consequence of handing out citizenship after too short a time.
    Should be much, much longer.

Circumcision for cultural reasons shouldn't be allowed either in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Sadly its become interrwined with it and some african minority religions. Non EU migrants really need to be heavily screened for Beliefs on FGM

You'd think they'd face a test or an interview on entry to see if potential irish citizens or asylum seekers are compatible with irish laws and customs along with a training course if necessary to educate these animals on why fgm and other barbaric beliefs and acts are not tolerated in Ireland.

I'm happy with the sentences today but i wouldn't object to sticking on another 5 years to send a message to any other sub human scum who might think it's acceptable to mutilate little girls, I'd also have no problem with them being surgically steralised before they enter back into society

why did the father get a longer sentence ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Patriarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The not cooperating with the guards probably the why behind the long sentences. Good enough for them but feel something like this should result in expulsion.

Not sure where that would be though as they are only saying African country in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why is their country of origin not being released? East Africa is not a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

While its welcome that the parents are going to serve a sentence what is going to happen to the poor child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This is the 1st legal case of it's kind in Ireland.
    Yet there is very likely hundreds of FGM incidents similar to this each, and every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

tdf7187 wrote: »
    While its welcome that the parents are going to serve a sentence what is going to happen to the poor child?

Likely they will be given to foster parents suitable to look after a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

its difficult not to see (medically unnecessary) circumcision of baby boys as the thin end of the wedge when it comes to FGM.

If you tolerate this...

what?

This is the 1st legal case of it's kind in Ireland.
    Yet there is very likely hundreds of FGM incidents similar to this each, and every year.

About 2,000 in 2013, I'd imagine that number is higher now...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/parenting/to-cut-or-not-to-cut-239186.html

In 2011, more than 2,000 paediatric circumcisions were performed in acute public hospitals in Ireland. The procedure is available in most public hospitals and, if carried out in such a setting, there’s no cost to parents. If performed privately, parents can pay in around €900. The majority of male paediatric circumcisions carried out here are culturally motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

FGM isn't circumcision, look it up in a dictionary.

Guesstimate it's hundreds per year (similar to this FGM), performed in back yard unregistered doctors yards, garden sheds and so on. Yet only one single conviction so far.

Obvs can't be performed in a proper hospital, as it simply isn't legal.
    The hospitals pick up the pieces, and fix the botched operations when presented at A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

About 2,000 in 2013, I'd imagine that number is higher now...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/parenting/to-cut-or-not-to-cut-239186.html

In 2011, more than 2,000 paediatric circumcisions were performed in acute public hospitals in Ireland. The procedure is available in most public hospitals and, if carried out in such a setting, there’s no cost to parents. If performed privately, parents can pay in around €900. The majority of male paediatric circumcisions carried out here are culturally motivated.

Should be illegal. Unless medically necessary.

I’d like to think it’s in light of his abject failure to do the one thing the lowlife is supposed to do as a father above all else - protect his child.

Scumbags, the pair of them. I hope they get the sheite bet out of them in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,753 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What kind of savage looks at their poor little baby girl and thinks it’s time to take a blade to it ?? This needs a severe sentence to discourage it being established in our new Irish community

The blade should be used on the parents, sometimes prison is too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Likely they will be given to foster parents suitable to look after a child.

The RTE news reported that she was now with her mothers sister (aunt)!

Is she safe now?

• Advertisement

Pronto63 wrote: »
    The RTE news reported that she was now with her mothers sister (aunt)!

Is she safe now?

Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

The gender sentencing gap. Men receive longer sentences than women for the same crimes.

It's larger than the racial sentencing gap.

JayZeus wrote: »
    his abject failure to do the one thing the lowlife is supposed to do as a father above all else - protect his child.

Do you think a woman should be held to account less than a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do you think a woman should be held to account less than a man?

Maybe there are circumstances in this particular case but it would seem our courts hold some to account less than a man.

Such a blatant discrepancy should require an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IIRC in this case the father was deemed to have been the one in the driving seat, who instigated the mutilation and the cover up afterwards. In his defence he also claimed that he was a leading anti-FGM campaigner, which indicates an active and malicious awareness that what they did was legally and morally wrong.

I'm not saying I agree with the disparity in sentencing, but this might be the explanation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    In his defence he also claimed that he was a leading anti-FGM campaigner
    :eek: Right, well it seems science has found a material harder than diamond, his neck.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

RTÉ haven’t put it on their Facebook either.

We all know who RTE will sympathize with here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭garyskeepers

what WERE the sentences?

what WERE the sentences?

4 years 9 months for her and 5.5 years for him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe he organised it? I don't know. What I do know is a female child has been butchered and it is sickening that the usual suspects here try to somehow use that to play the 'poor men' card and bash women again. You and others really need to take a look at yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement