Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making things difficult for an employer

Options
  • 28-11-2019 10:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭

A friend of mine works for one of the large IFSC financial sweat shops. He has been put under enormous pressure to meet deadlines that are unreasonable. He is extremely stressed with errors that are essentially down to staff shortages being laid at his door. Long story short he believes management are looking for a scapegoat and wants to put him on a PIP.

He is looking to now make things difficult for his employer so they will offer him reasonable redundancy (this has occurred for some others before but the company is slow to offer now due to cost cutting).

One idea he has is to request all data on him mentioned under GDPR. Will this include any and all emails that mention him - particularly any that would have discussed his performance by senior management?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Tell your friend to look for a different job with less stress and more reasonable deadlines where he will be happier rather than the extra stress of building up a case against his employer, which isn't going to work in his favour anyway because these big companies know how to cover their a%%. Doing this kind of crap, looking up laws, trying to stay one step ahead of a company that is willing to put such pressure on their workers, is only going to make him go slowly mad with the stress, is it worth it?

Life is short, tell him to move on for his own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

A friend of mine works for one of the large IFSC financial sweat shops. He has been put under enormous pressure to meet deadlines that are unreasonable. He is extremely stressed with errors that are essentially down to staff shortages being laid at his door. Long story short he believes management are looking for a scapegoat and wants to put him on a PIP.

He is looking to now make things difficult for his employer so they will offer him reasonable redundancy (this has occurred for some others before but the company is slow to offer now due to cost cutting).

One idea he has is to request all data on him mentioned under GDPR. Will this include any and all emails that mention him - particularly any that would have discussed his performance by senior management?

Tell your mate to leave, just leave. Doing that will not end well for him.

As for the GDPR thing lol key part of those emails that mention him will be the @ part which they own. And I am 100% sure they have a GDPR policy and he agreed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

dreamers75 wrote: »

As for the GDPR thing lol key part of those emails that mention him will be the @ part which they own. And I am 100% sure they have a GDPR policy and he agreed to it.

I agree that his friend should leave, especially as he is not likely to receive redundancy as long as the position exists, but you can't absolve yourself of your GDPR responsibilities contractually. If the company has discussed the friend via email in any respect, there is no lawful manner to refrain from providing those emails in a response to a DSAR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

dreamers75 wrote: »

If he is mentioned by name then there won’t be @ in the body of the email rather his name. My question is can he ask for all these emails under GDPR as he feels these will reveal a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If he is mentioned by name then there won’t be @ in the body of the email rather his name. My question is can he ask for all these emails under GDPR as he feels these will reveal a lot

Oh he is looking for emails about him.

He can ask for them but again its end of the line for him.

As to what would happen next he would be furnished with his HR file with any or none disciplinaries/training records/ contract status/emergency contact form.

I do not know the GDPR policy the company has but without legal consul, you aint getting those emails which most likely dont exist ;)

IT dont just google internally his name and a load of stuff pops up.

Before he does this stupid thing he needs to read and understand what GDPR is and what is the company policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

"your friend" needs to grow up

just leave if you he isnt up to the job

"your friend" needs to grow up

just leave if you he isnt up to the job

He wants to leave but not without the standard redundancy package which is approx 100k. So that’s his main consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Positions get made redundant rather than people, he/she might receive a redundancy payment if the laid off because the position no longer is required/exists. Doesn’t sound like it’s a position being scrapped if he/she/you are really busy and staff numbers are short. By trying to force redundancy/making things difficult he/she/you may well be confirming to them what they want to show in a PIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This sort of obstructive behaviour is likely to end in a discipline quicker than their bad performance.

Start looking for a new job ASAP when there is some chance of getting out with your mind intact, although given the line of query in the first post I’d fear things are on a slippery slope already.

I’ve seen employees, manufacturing not finance, drag their heels and make life difficult for management. Pretty much all of them were identified and successfully disciplined some even “managed out” in short space of time. Even co workers hate that sort of behaviour because it inevitably has blow back on them.

Just choose, either do your job or get a new job and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He wants to leave but not without the standard redundancy package which is approx 100k. So that’s his main consideration.

So, this is a shakedown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

HR simply ignore gdpr requests and you have no way to obtain the real info they have on you. Hr management justify it by withholding info due to confidentiality of other employees or confidential business processes. They'll print a simple record about you, but you won't see anything about reports or investigations.

There'll be no mention of how your current pip relates to a company policy to reduce headcount while there's a freeze on offering redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While the employee is in employment, the company may be entitled to withhold or redact some of the more recent emails if they relate to internal processes or contain other information.

That is, if there's a discussion about his performance or, e.g. a question on whether to transfer him, they may be entitled to withhold that information from a GDPR request until a decision has been made.

As the man says above, your friend is also not going to uncover any illegal or nefarious activities. Anything in emails which has nothing to do with him, will be redacted from the SAR.

Anyway, as others say, your mate just needs to go find another job. If he makes things difficult now he's burning his bridges and the employer can make it difficult to find something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

forget the GDPR data request. most of the incriminating stuff wont be written down.

life is too short to work for these companies.... tell your friend to move on asap.

Phoebas wrote: »
    So, this is a shakedown?

You could describe it as such I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You could describe it as such I suppose.
    Your friend could have a problem then if they've been using the work computer to ask questions on forums, send emails to friends, use Whatsapp web or have otherwise been admitting via the internet to wanting to extort redundancy from their employer.

seamus wrote: »
    Your friend could have a problem then if they've been using the work computer to ask questions on forums, send emails to friends, use Whatsapp web or have otherwise been admitting via the internet to wanting to extort redundancy from their employer.

He earns over 100k per annum. He’s not a dope. Just been unfairly put in a difficult position and being set up as fall guy for issues emanating from excessive outsourcing.

Extorting is how you might see it. He’s looking to get what others have got. Essentially paid off to go quietly. It happens a lot more often that you’d think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I agree that his friend should leave, especially as he is not likely to receive redundancy as long as the position exists, but you can't absolve yourself of your GDPR responsibilities contractually. If the company has discussed the friend via email in any respect, there is no lawful manner to refrain from providing those emails in a response to a DSAR.

Actually there is, you cannot obtain anything under the GDPR that would normally require a discovery order from the courts.

He earns over 100k per annum. He’s not a dope.

Well he may not be a dope, but he certainly is not very bright in the ways of the world... the financial services industry is a small world and trying to shakedown a company could end up ensuring he has a very difficult time in finding his next position.

I have not worked in the financial services sector in Dublin in over thirty years, but I have no problem in getting the low down on anyone from there that I'd consider employing. Dublin is such an key player that we all have colleagues in Dublin and if we can check up on someone from abroad, I expect it is much easier if you are local.

Just move on, is the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

If they want to put him on a PIP there is 100% no chance of him getting redundancy!

Jim2007 wrote: »

Actually there is, you cannot obtain anything under the GDPR that would normally require a discovery order from the courts.

What makes you think that? Unless subject to legal privilege, any data held about you must be made available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭griffin100

He can make a data access request to his employer - https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/individuals/know-your-rights/right-access-information

It's a good way to p!ss off your employer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I can tell you, if it were the case that senior management were discussing the likes of engineering your friend's resignation or letting him go, they would not be so utterly stupid as to put it all down in emails. This would all be discussed verbally behind closed doors. No minutes or record. You'd be a complete fool to keep a paper trail of how you were plotting a constructive dismissal against an employee.

I think what is more likely is that your friend is in a delusion that there is some sort of grand conspiracy against him. Is your friend's surname Corr by any change?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He earns over 100k per annum. He’s not a dope. Just been unfairly put in a difficult position and being set up as fall guy for issues emanating from excessive outsourcing.

Extorting is how you might see it. He’s looking to get what others have got. Essentially paid off to go quietly. It happens a lot more often that you’d think.

There is always the mature option of talking them and asking for redundancy in a polite professional manner and if they dose not work out looking for another job.

What makes you think that? Unless subject to legal privilege, any data held about you must be made available.

You are not obliged to provide any information that could later be used in a court case against your or form part of your defence. You can to use the GDPR to circumvent the laws of evidence, that is not it's purpose.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You are not obliged to provide any information that could later be used in a court case against your or form part of your defence. You can to use the GDPR to circumvent the laws of evidence, that is not it's purpose.

What on Earth makes you believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd be disinclined to burn bridges with employers. It's a small country and I've stayed in (more or less) the same evolved space. I've found myself reconnecting with previous employers as a client and as overflow for when I'm inundated or need speciality work. (or work that I'm just not interested in doing)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

Genuinely always amazed at how easily people are willing to be bent over by their employer. Embarrassing tbh.

If there is potentially 100k on the table he would be nuts to leave and simply go find another job. Out in the gdpr request and take it from there. Very likely nothing interesting will come of it but at least it sets a clear signal that he is not done lightweight mug who will easily back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,544 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think your friend needs to get professional advice from a solicitor with experience in employment law and the concept of 'constructive dismissal' e.g. if they think they are being made a scapegoat \ setup to take the fall.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/dismissal/constructive_dismissal.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Leave, take a small career break... refocus, re-energize and get back into a job working for a researched good responsible employer. An employer who facilitates a professional, caring, fair and competently managed organization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

A highly paid job will normally carry a significant amount of stress, alternatively you can go for a smaller job and be happy with a 9-5 commitment and a lower salary. The higher up you go with your career the more dysfunctional and toxic the work environment becomes, big jobs are not for everyone

Advertisement