Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double insulated item

Options
  • 28-11-2019 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

I was looking at buying a second hand double insulated CD player made in France. Unit is 240V AC 50Hz.

Would this work fine here if connected up to an AV receiver that uses an earthed 3 pin plug.

The photo attached is from the CD player. Any problem plugging this in using an adapter as in attached photo.

496434.jpg

2 pin to 3 pin adapter

496435.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Agreed no problem. 3Amp fuses often fail even with no fault. Suggest that you use a 5 Amp fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

adrian92 wrote: »
    Agreed no problem. 3Amp fuses often fail even with no fault. Suggest that you use a 5 Amp fuse

A 3A fuse won't rupture without reason. In fact BS 1362 only recognises 3A and 13A fuses as preferred ratings. That's why all other ratings (including 5A) are black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    A 3A fuse won't rupture without reason. In fact BS 1362 only recognises 3A and 13A fuses as preferred ratings. That's why all other ratings (including 5A) are black.

So it's not possible for a fuse to fail if not overloaded?

Bruthal wrote: »
    So it's not possible for a fuse to fail if not overloaded?

I never suggested that. I pointed out it won't rupture without reason. There are very few applications where a 3A fuse needs to be substituted for a non-standard 5A fuse, notwithstanding where the rating of the appliance requires it.

But to imply that a 3A fuse will somehow just get bored and give up is frankly a nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I haven't seen a permanent adapter like that before. It's a much better job than an adapter socket. Where are they available?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I haven't seen a permanent adapter like that before. It's a much better job than an adapter socket. Where are they available?

https://www.freetv.ie/converter-plug/

I never suggested that. I pointed out it won't rupture without reason. There are very few applications where a 3A fuse needs to be substituted for a non-standard 5A fuse, notwithstanding where the rating of the appliance requires it.

But to imply that a 3A fuse will somehow just get bored and give up is frankly a nonsense.

So the poster who said a fuse can fail without fault, was incorrect?

I'm just curious. I would think its possible.

So the poster who said a fuse can fail without fault, was incorrect?

I'm just curious. I would think its possible.

He stated that they "often fail without fault".

That simply isn't true.

Selecting an inappropriate fuse rating isn't it failing without fault - it's failing because of an overcurrent.

You really are a ridiculous person at times.

Ever hear of thermal stresses or loadings on fuses that are inside their rated capacity, particularly if the load is varying.

Ever hear of manufacturing tolerances?

So I ask again, yes or no, can a fuse fail without being overloaded?

Post number 6 you seem to say one thing at the start of it, then disagree with yourself at the end.

• Advertisement

Ever hear of thermal stresses or loadings on fuses that are inside their rated capacity, particularly if the load is varying.

Ever hear of manufacturing tolerances?

So I ask again, yes or no, can a fuse fail without being overloaded?

Post number 6 you seem to say one thing at the start of it, then disagree with yourself at the end.

I never "disagreed with myself". I pointed out that they do not frequently fail without fault. I didn't suggest that it could never happen in certain circumstances.

It's really very basic comprehension which most pre-school children could appreciate.

It's really very basic comprehension which most pre-school children could appreciate.
    More than one irony there.

I never "disagreed with myself"

In one post you said a 3A fuse won't fail without reason. This was in response to a poster saying they fail without fault.

In another you said they don't get lazy and simply give up. Then you said you agree they can fail without overload.

Then you say it's because it's overloaded.....
    "Selecting an inappropriate fuse rating isn't it failing without fault - it's failing because of an overcurrent."

So..., which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I raised the issue of 3 Amp fuses failing
    (I did not think that it would result in personal things being said about a poster - this forum can criticize the argument- not the person. I think we Moderater would agree)

Regarding 3 Amp fuses, perhaps I could clarify;
    I have found numerous times when they fail with no electrical fault.
    I do not say that they fail for no reason.

(It seems strange that fuses are in plug tops anyway - serve no useful purpose- but, I suppose that is a separate points)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

@Risteard81, as per the forum charter this is a place to share knowledge, it is not for insulting other posters. Please keep it civil, if you don't moderators will be forced to take action.

Thank you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Now, back on topic :)

Fuses can fail at currents below their rating, everybody has seen this, to suggest otherwise is simply incorrect. This can be due to:

1) The load profile, cyclical loading of the fuse can cause thermal stressing of the element due to repetitive expansion and contracting as it heats and cools.

2) Harmonic distortion of currents. This is caused by non-linear loads such as switched mode power supplies, variable speed drives, UPS.This can cause heating which can contribute to thermal stressing of the fuse element. Even neutral conductors have been know to melt as a result of high harmonic currents. This is more likely to be an issue in industrial installations.

3) Fuses exposed to vibrations during transit can also weaken fuse elements.

4) Issues with quality control during manufacturing, say no more :)

Modern fuse manufacturers such as Bussmann carefully select materials for fuse elements that have a low coefficient of expansion and high melting point in order to improve the reliability. They make some very fancy high end fuses that work to very exacting tolerances with prices to match. However I would not expect a comparable level of resilience / reliability from a 20 cent BS1363 plug top fuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

What kind of plug is that on the right in the first picture?

It sure isn't a standard type c, so it won't fit into a type C to type G adapter.

Looks like the unit itself has a standard C7/8 connector (left in first photo), why not just get a new lead?
    They're very, very common (most of us will have at least a few sitting in a drawer) and there would be no need to
    fuss about with adapters.

Advertisement