Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home energy monitor

• 28-11-2019 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I was looking for a home energy monitor. It looks like SSEAirtricity used to do one, but no longer.
    Amazon.co.uk have a lot of them but i was just wondering if there is anything specific about the Irish electricity supply that means that they would not work here?
    Does anybody use them, and any recommendations?
    Note, i am not talking about the energy monitor connected to a particular socket, but one that has a transmitter beside the meter and a receiver in the house that shows how much energy the whole house is using.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

we had an "owl" energy monitor, works as you said, sensor connects to the cable at the meter, you wrap a strap around one of the cable, assume its magnetic or something, and then theres a wireless panel in the house,
    worked fine, dont use it anymore, so its quite a short term investment but if you were more diligent with it im sure you could knock more use out of it than we did

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Had an ‘owl’ it worked for about 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭CarPark2

Thanks for replies.
    BryanF wrote: »
    Had an ‘owl’ it worked for about 2 years

....and then it stopped working? That doesn't seem very reliable.

When it was working, was it useful and did it seem to be accurate?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.

....and then it stopped working? That doesn't seem very reliable.

When it was working, was it useful and did it seem to be accurate?

Yes as accurate as you’ll need it for. you’ll have gleamed what need from it, by the time it breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Have an owl, used it to give me a guide for SolarPV. Going to install Solar in next few weeks so will be selling it on if interested? will cost a fortune of course :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I got a different energy monitor when owl started to charge for their service. It stores to an SD card and I have the LCD display in front of me. I sent it back to get the software upgraded to cater for my PV and for the extra tails. It was one of the few that ticked all my boxes. google eco-eye.com if you want to check them out.

Advertisement