Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card question

Options
  • 29-11-2019 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have a 5 year old rig with Geforce 750 graphics card.
    Struggling to play new games now as keep getting message about low VRAM.
    I was wondering could I just upgrade graphics card to Geforce gtx 950.
    Would that alone solve problems of games crashing and low vram??
    Or do I have to get something else with card. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Get second hand Rx 480 or 580 or even a Rx 470 or 570 would be a massive upgrade.

• Site Banned Posts: 35 joejoggs

What processor do you have and Ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

joejoggs wrote: »
    What processor do you have and Ram?
    Will this help. Total novice when it comes to this so any help much appreciated. Just want to be able to play neww games without crashing and freezing. When i tried to play new game it told me i was out of VRAM.
    Thanks

Upgrade the CPU to a Xeon X5660 or a X5675. They are cheap and massive upgrade to the 950 you currently have. What motherboard do you have?

Upgrade the CPU to a Xeon X5660 or a X5675. They are cheap and massive upgrade to the 950 you currently have. What motherboard do you have?
    Just spoke to guy who built pc for me. He reckons it would be too expensive to upgrade as i would have to upgrade other bits too.
    Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

They are like 20 euro on ebay. 6 core 12 threads 32nm vs your 4 core 8 thread 45nm CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The i7-950 is still able to get through many new games. it is obviously the 750 is the major hold-back. As long as you have 8gb ram, just buy a gtx1650 for £130 and job done, it's about 3 or 4 times faster than the 750.

Homelander wrote: »
    The i7-950 is still able to get through many new games. it is obviously the 750 is the major hold-back. As long as you have 8gb ram, just buy a gtx1650 for £130 and job done, it's about 3 or 4 times faster than the 750.
    Could anyone tell me if following specs are good for gaming pc? Thanks

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS H81M-E
    PROCESSOR - Intel Core i7-4790 Quad Core, 8 of threads, 3.60GHz Base, 4.00GHz Turbo
    CPU COOLER - ABATAP CPU Cooler Blue LED
    RAM - 16GB DDR3
    GRAPHICS CARD - ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1070 8GB OC Edition with Aura Sync RGB GDDR5
    SSD STORAGE - 120GB Patriot Burst SATA III
    HDDs STORAGE - 1TB 7200rpm
    DVD OPTICAL DRIVE - none
    PSU - 600W EVGA 80 PLUS CERTIFIED POWER SUPPLY
    CASE - Aero Cool Streak Gaming Case - Black
    OS - Win 10 PRO 64bit- FRESH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Fine but depends on the price. At 500 would be a decent deal for a 2nd hand PC. Anything higher not really. You would build a faster brand new one for about 700.

Homelander wrote: »
    Fine but depends on the price. At 500 would be a decent deal for a 2nd hand PC. Anything higher not really. You would build a faster brand new one for about 700.
    Guy building it for me brand new charging 700 euro. What you think

Guy building it for me brand new charging 700 euro. What you think

For 700 get a brand new(as in hardware that is actually released this year or last year and not 5 or 6 years ago)

Your wasting your time on old hardware for that price. Who is this guy as you keep posting different specs and he seems to have stock piled old hardware and trying to get rid of it as nobody wants it.

edit: The 1070 is decent but it is miss matched paired with old CPU's.

Advertisement