Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mediocrity and Late, Late Toyshow

Options
  • 29-11-2019 11:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Tells you so much. From RTÉs desparation to keep the licensing fee grift going for another year so as to keep their mundane 'stars' in huge salaries for another year, to the sheer weirdness of banal Irish adults getting wine and being spellbound by Chinese sweat shop junk.

Everything rubbish about being Irish in that two hours right there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It must be terribly hard to have a positive outlook on life for people like you.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It must be terribly hard to have a positive outlook on life for people like you.

Imagine being that bitter on a Friday morning with a weekend ahead of you?

Must be tough alright.

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Tells you so much. From RTÉs desparation to keep the licensing fee grift going for another year so as to keep their mundane 'stars' in huge salaries for another year, to the sheer weirdness of banal Irish adults getting wine and being spellbound by Chinese sweat shop junk.

Everything rubbish about being Irish in that two hours right there.

Strangely enough I enjoy the Late Late Toy Show. I'm in my early 40s and without Children. It's true that is a very Irish show to watch... which is why I watch it each year since I'm usually abroad.

You need to get out of Ireland for a while to gain some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's a feature length ad for Smyth's Toys.

Thought it was great back in the day, with the exception of the universally hated Billy Barrys, but see though the commercial aspect of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Takes real effort to be that miserable so early in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tonight's the night the Billy Barry clan go rogue, spraying the audience with bullets and adorning the studio Christmas tree with Tubs' decapitated skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Have a pint you absolute loser, imagine waking up fuming about licence fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I like the misery of watching the RTÉ Late Late toy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I've been watching it since I was a small child. I'm now 28 and still look forward to it. It's part of Christmas for us in my home. The tree is going up today too.

Just don't watch it if you have issues with it. I wouldn't like to have such a gloomy outlook on life. Sounds very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hopefully the kids will be able to do stay up and watch it this year. Love the toy show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's a feature length ad for Smyth's Toys.

Thought it was great back in the day, with the exception of the universally hated Billy Barrys, but see though the commercial aspect of it now.

Because all toys were free back then?

Boggles wrote: »
    Because all toys were free back then?

Because I was a child, duh.

OP you'd be great as the villain in the panto. Bah humbug.
    Actually..

Talk to Joe.

Because I was a child, duh.

Were your parents kids?

Or were you raised by Peter Pan?

Were your parents kids?

Or were you raised by Peter Pan?

Ok you can stop talking through your hole now.
    There's a good lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

A two hour long infomercial for toy manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Christmas Toy Show edition of the LLS is one of the big pay days for the station, 1.5m viewers at least and an ad rate card to reflect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The only LLS I will watch and look forward to watching. Music, kids having fun and no f**king misery slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The only LLS I will watch and look forward to watching. Music, kids having fun and no f**king misery slot.

Oh don't worry there will be a misery reminder.
    This is RTE 2019 so there has to be some mention of one of their pet projects and most especially asylum seekers and refugees.

How much is anyone willing to bet there won't be some kid on it whose parents fled to this country within the last 10/15 years ?

It will be milked for all it is worth and what better time to get the narrative across.

Hell they could even have a special guest that has just arrived from the East.

RTE are plugging this program like there is no tomorrow as they try make themselves relevant.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    This is RTE 2019 so there has to be some mention of one of their pet projects and most especially asylum seekers and refugees.

Jaysus, not even in a thread about the toy show could you leave those misfortune people alone.

It must be exhausting to be that fúcking racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

jmayo wrote: »

How much is anyone willing to bet there won't be some kid on it whose parents fled to this country within the last 10/15 years ?

It will be milked for all it is worth and what better time to get the narrative across.

Hell they could even have a special guest that has just arrived from the East.

RTE are plugging this program like there is no tomorrow as they try make themselves relevant.

Good jaysus that's bitter, even from here.

You one of Gemmas fellow travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Odhinn wrote: »

Has to be, probably a patreon or whatever way money is being transferred to fund negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’ve not got any small kids living with me right now. I enjoyed me grand nephew the whole day last Sunday.
    Can any of the Toy Show enthusiasts here tell me why I should watch it tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Be grateful for the LL TS, otherwise you be paying triple your license fee

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

osarusan wrote: »
    Tonight's the night the Billy Barry clan go rogue, spraying the audience with bullets and adorning the studio Christmas tree with Tubs' decapitated skull.

Now that, I would watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I just... don't watch it. :confused:
    splinter65 wrote: »
    Can any of the Toy Show enthusiasts here tell me why I should watch it tonight?
    Why on earth would you need to be told that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think what jmayo said is absolutely right and it's not his fault that what he said is probably true.

I stopped completely watching all RTE weekend chats shows this seasons for their obvious policy of having a misery slot which is basically making entertainment out of misery. If I were being really cynical I'd say not only are they doing that but also for some reason they want the viewer to fell bad as well for having life so good or some other reason I don't even want to know.

Anyway, yeah the Toy Show was good in the 80's when no one had eff all money but as far as I can see kids these days have iPhones and all sorts we never had so I really don't understand the hype around it - it seems to be for the adults actually. Which makes sense as they are the ones doing the spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I just... don't watch it. :confused:

Why on earth would you need to be told that?

I don’t know why you’re “confused”. I’m asking posters to tell me why they like the LLTS. It’s really not that complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysus, not even in a thread about the toy show could you leave those misfortune people alone.

It must be exhausting to be that fúcking racist.

Ahhh go ....

It must be exhausting to be forever making excuses for chancers.
    Oh wait with the amount of posting you do it is evident it must be your actual living.

Why is it racist to now call out chancers?
    I don't give two fooks where you come from, be it down the road a half a mile, Western Africa, the Balkans, if you are a chancer you are a chancer.

And RTE like a lot of the vested industry around here are forever pushing chancers.
    Odhinn wrote: »

You know what you and gemma can do ...

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

splinter65 wrote: »
    I don’t know why you’re “confused”. I’m asking posters to tell me why they like the LLTS. It’s really not that complicated.

It's more nostalgia to when it was a good show.

These days it resembles more of a kids talent show. They throw in the kid who has cancer or is blind or has spinda bifida for the misery slot

I wouldn't waste your time to be honest

Advertisement