Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mediocrity and Late, Late Toyshow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

FTA69 wrote: »
    Most of the kids on it look like they need a good bullying to be fair.

Whatever you think about RTE or Ryan Tubridy, or even the Show itself; hat a hateful thing fo say about the children.

You'd want a heart of stone not to be moved by little Sophie's
    reaction to getting a trip to London to lift the spirits (even for a short while) of a family struggling to cope with a 5 year old little boy in Crumlin Hospital with Leukaemia.

The kids on the show demonstrated a lot more bravery, resilience and respect than some of the poison whingers on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

didn't watch the show but was informed that there was a transgender 8 year old on. (somebody correct me here if im completely wrong)
    Its really sad that RTE are promoting this kind of abusive brainwashing, clearly that mother needs help and the child needs supervision, not for it to be put on the national stage and paraded as a good thing. RTE's desire for diversity should never trump the wellbeing and safety of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m so glad I didn’t endure this show

Hardly any toys
    Way way Too much attention seeking by the suspiciously frantic and manic “star” Tubridy
    Too many Generic non Christmas related performances

Trust RTÉ to completely eff up a winning formula and ruin what was once a nice feel good show for the beginning of the Christmas season.

As uncle Gaybo would say well done, well done ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

didn't watch the show but was informed that there was a transgender 8 year old on. (somebody correct me here if im completely wrong)

You're not wrong.

It wasn't explicitly spelled out, and neither should it have to be. Just an 8 year old kid with gender issues, no big deal made out of it. She was talking about being bullied for being different, her haircut etc. I thought it was great to see, or amusing at least, I'm not sure where exactly i fall on that. The only concern I'd have about her being on would be it could lead to further bullying...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and a piece in the Indo to boot.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/toy-show-sensation-sophia-is-an-inspirational-joy-says-grandfather-38742140.html

How would that little girl have been selected for the show?
    After all, there are tens of thousands of kids being bullied every day, how come Sophia got on the LLTS to tell the nation about it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Tubs is a creep on the toy show. I only saw 10 mins and had to turn off. It is all about him.

The toy show needs to be presented by a woman. Preferably one that has and likes children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The toy show needs to be presented by a woman. Preferably one that has and likes children.

what ever happened to Mary Kingston?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,358 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I must be D only one who felt the Sophia gender segment was ridiculously contrived, and so out of place...?

I felt nothing watching it. And I am not someone who wouldn’t feel for anyone who is suffering..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tubs is a creep on the toy show. I only saw 10 mins and had to turn off. It is all about him.

Tubs has kids, and I think he appears more at ease in the company of kids than adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,358 ✭✭✭✭walshb

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tubs has kids, and I think he appears more at ease in the company of kids than adults.

I think he’s better with kids than adults, but still Sh1t!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’m so glad I didn’t endure this show

Hardly any toys
    Way way Too much attention seeking by the suspiciously frantic and manic “star” Tubridy
    Too many Generic non Christmas related performances

Trust RTÉ to completely eff up a winning formula and ruin what was once a nice feel good show for the beginning of the Christmas season.

As uncle Gaybo would say well done, well done ....

How would you know if you didn’t ‘endure’ it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

what ever happened to Mary Kingston?

Ah Mary would be great!!

In fact most decent children's TV hosts would nail it no problem.

Tubridy just has to make such an effort and it's plain as day, he behaves like a manic hyperactive child himself, but it's so fake and put on.

Didn't think much of this years show, pity as it's been good viewing most years even with Tubridy at the helm.

Rte trying too hard to be all woke and tearjerking emotional segments. Not much in the way of toys and kids playing with the toys and the fun that goes with that.

As much as I feel for that girl Sophia and no child should ever be bullied it just felt a bit cringy to me and I don't think it will do her any favours. I don't think it was right to put her out there like that, she's just a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Emmett Stocky Selenium

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and a piece in the Indo to boot.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/toy-show-sensation-sophia-is-an-inspirational-joy-says-grandfather-38742140.html

How would that little girl have been selected for the show?
    After all, there are tens of thousands of kids being bullied every day, how come Sophia got on the LLTS to tell the nation about it?

its the hot topic...once they heard that, shot up the queue from say someone being bullied for say wearing glasses/ginger etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Let’s be honest here, the Toy Show is not about kids at all - it’s definitely aimed at adults. The kids who grew up with Gay presenting it are now adults themselves with their own children. They’re the ones who are getting the wine in of a Friday for the show and live tweet about it (or post on boards.ie) in an ironic way, or starting this ridiculous thing of doing up Toy Show boxes for their kids with new PJs and sweets and goodies. Could you imagine grown adults back in the day, whether they had kids or not, tweeting about it (if such a thing existed) or talking about the highlights in work on Monday. Adults barely cared about it in the 80s. Kids don’t need a programme these days showing them what the big toys are for Christmas - sure the know them all, and probably already have some of them. That’s why the actually toy content seems so much less these days.

The Late Late learned 10 years ago with John Joe that if you find an interesting kid, they will soon go viral in this digital age, with memes, tweets, Facebook posts, etc. From then on they had a formula and they pretty much stick with it. It’s all about getting moments to go viral, and making it event TV, so they can charge more in ad revenue. Sadly by doing so, it lost it’s soul. It became far too polished and contrived. They had quotas to fill each year for X type of kid, and pushed political agendas way too far.

Having said that though, and because of the above, I expected this year to be the biggest woke-fest ever, which I don’t think it actually was. Can’t remember if it was last year or the year before, but Tubs nearly mentioned the homeless in each section of the show. I thought this year there’d be kids from direct provision, as this seems to be the topic du jour, but no.

Yes there was Sophia talking about getting bullied, but I can’t help but think that due to what tragically happened Ana Kriegel, can it really do any harm to remind kids that bullying is not ok.

All the kids were lovely and I got the feels on quite a few occasions. Tubridy said one of the themes was nostalgia. I hope he means bringing the show back to basics so that it’s truer to it’s roots, as I really thought it was this year for the most part.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yes there was Sophia talking about getting bullied, but I can’t help but think that due to what tragically happened Ana Kriegel, can it really do any harm to remind kids that bullying is not ok.

To a lot of people on this site, yes this is a massive problem because they don’t like being told what is and what isn’t ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Its really sad that RTE are promoting this kind of abusive brainwashing, clearly that mother needs help and the child needs supervision, not for it to be put on the national stage and paraded as a good thing. RTE's desire for diversity should never trump the wellbeing and safety of children.

It was a bit odd alright. I get it that it was an anti-bullying segment most of all and I would feel truly sorry for the kid, but RTE can make that point in a much more broader way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The show itself though is in some ways awful. The production was terrible as was the camera work. You would think for biggest Late Late show of the year it would be a bit more polished, but it just tries to hard. Too many kids and is it me or are many of the performers not that good. There are still some good ones with talent but they are the exception. The poster above is right though, its aimed at adults, not kids. Kids today will nt really be looking at the Toy Show for inspiration about asking something from Santa, they will have youtube for that.

Very commerical and OTT. Also, there was not 1 christmas song played! LOL.
    But we lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

markodaly wrote: »
    It was a bit odd alright. I get it that it was an anti-bullying segment most of all and I would feel truly sorry for the kid, but RTE can make that point in a much more broader way.

How?

Kids don't watch RTE anymore.

Making the "point" when kids were actually watching seems like a sensible idea.

It is beyond weird certain people are annoyed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mary Kenny and a much needed return to the traditional toy show next year RTÉ !!!

One can dream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Faugheen wrote: »
    To a lot of people on this site, yes this is a massive problem because they don’t like being told what is and what isn’t ok.

You don’t like being told that others don’t agree with you.
    And you don’t get to tell others “what is and isn’t ok”.
    I have no idea why you think that you can, because you can’t.
    And I have no idea either why someone hasn’t told you this already. But you’ve been told now.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    You don’t like being told that others don’t agree with you.
    And you don’t get to tell others “what is and isn’t ok”.
    I have no idea why you think that you can, because you can’t.
    And I have no idea either why someone hasn’t told you this already. But you’ve been told now.

:pac:

Boggles wrote: »
    :pac:

Yeah, my mistake boggles. Imagine an adult not wanting to be told by another adult how to think feel or act. And imagine verbalising that.
    What a ridiculous notion to have, just mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I’ve this theory that Irish people are amongst the most suggestible breed of people on the planet.
    (I don’t want to say fickle or easily led but that’s what I mean really).

Explains why the catholic church was so powerful here for so long... :)

FTA69 wrote: »
    Most of the kids on it look like they need a good bullying to be fair.

What a complete arseholey thing to say.

So you didn't even watch it but wanted to express your outrage anyway. :rolleyes: :pac:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

When Tubridy calls the studio audience vultures he is only pretending to be joking.

ac:

Yes it explains that, and the grip the British had on us before that, and the current total capitulation to the “woke” left liberal regime that is currently in power.
    I just don’t think the current masters will last as long as the other two did , the people being easily led, but just not that stupid or uneducated any more.

When Tubridy calls the studio audience vultures he is only pretending to be joking.

And it’s not as if he’s a greedy money grabbing bastard himself...

And it’s not as if he’s a greedy money grabbing bastard himself...
    Actually he has achieved an amazing amount considering all he has had to overcome.

What a complete arseholey thing to say.

So you didn't even watch it but wanted to express your outrage anyway. :rolleyes: :pac:

You're wasting your time engaging with the Irish losers association.

Yeah, my mistake boggles. Imagine an adult not wanting to be told by another adult how to think feel or act. And imagine verbalising that.

And then telling that adult how to act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm glad that child has a loving and supportive family since the world seems to be full of armchair psychologists like yourself. Let her be herself, if she wanted to be on the show to tell her story then great. Absolutely no reason not to highlight bullying, even with a less common case as this.

Abusive brainwashing. Wise up.

Advertisement