Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mediocrity and Late, Late Toyshow

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Boggles wrote: »
    How?

Kids don't watch RTE anymore.

Making the "point" when kids were actually watching seems like a sensible idea.

It is beyond weird certain people are annoyed by it.

Em, this was my point but it seemed to have gone over your head, or perhaps under that high horse of yours.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

splinter65 wrote: »
    You don’t like being told that others don’t agree with you.
    And you don’t get to tell others “what is and isn’t ok”.
    I have no idea why you think that you can, because you can’t.
    And I have no idea either why someone hasn’t told you this already. But you’ve been told now.

Why can you tell me that what I said is not ok, but yet I’m not allowed to?

Why is it one rule for you and a different one for me?

You honestly don’t see how stupid that statement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

circadian wrote: »
    I'm glad that child has a loving and supportive family since the world seems to be full of armchair psychologists like yourself. Let her be herself, if she wanted to be on the show to tell her story then great. Absolutely no reason not to highlight bullying, even with a less common case as this.

Abusive brainwashing. Wise up.

You think an 8 year old is in a position to make life changing decisions like that ?

You think an 8 year old is in a position to make life changing decisions like that ?

Who are you to say otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Who says she wants to be a boy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

My understanding (per a Facebook post from the mother posted elsewhere) is that she told her mother she wanted to be a boy. Her mother let her cut her hair short, after which she was bullied at school for being boyish and having short hair.

I appreciate why RTE chose her for the show — but representing her as "transgender" isn't accurate. She's an 8-year-old prepubescent child. Lots of girls go through a tomboy phase, which often ends when puberty hits.

She hasn't made any "life-changing" decisions. Hair grows back. Kids' identities are highly malleable. For this girl, it's far too early to know what her sexual or gender identity will ultimately be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, It's like the Daily Mail comments section in here.

People falling over themselves to announce they never watched it but are experts on what actually happened.

Amazing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Actually he has achieved an amazing amount considering all he has had to overcome.

Yes certainly he hasnt let his total lack of any particular talent or ability hamper him in his efforts to secure 1/2 million a year from the public purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Boggles wrote: »
    And then telling that adult how to act.

You just don’t get it boggles. The concept of personal autonomy goes right over your pretty little head.

You just don’t get it boggles. The concept of personal autonomy goes right over your pretty little head.

No, you don’t get it.

You’re telling me that I can’t act a certain way, while also telling me that I can’t tell others how to act.

You’re either ignoring this or you actually don’t realise that you’re completely contradicting yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Let’s look at the LLTS:
    A live audience made up entirely of adults dressed as elves, no children allowed.
    Broadcast start 2 hours after most children’s bedtime.
    Hardly any “toys” featured.
    Some children brought on “perform” but continually talked over by suspiciously manic host.
    Host spends 3 hours ensuring that he, not any of the children, is front and centre of the show, this in the middle of a media storm over his vulgar 1/2 million salary.
    Host could have been one of many children’s program presenters, but no...
    The LLTS should be:
    Filmed and broadcast live on a Saturday morning in December in front of a live audience of children and parents hosted by an experienced children’s tv presenter featuring children demonstrating toys interspersed with some performances by children whose names have been pulled out of a hat.
    Toys and Christmas belong to children.
    There is enough tv scheduled for you my friend without having to tailor a kids programme to amuse you.

You're not my friend.

And how about you open your mind enough and not tighten your ar*ehole so much to realise different people like different things. I can see why others don't like it but don't berate them for it.

I'm sure you must watch something that I find absolute drivel too, but unlike you I don't really care what you like. Why do you care so much about what I watch.

Is it back to the "friend" thing (or lack of them) that you care about others viewing habits so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

My understanding (per a Facebook post from the mother posted elsewhere) is that she told her mother she wanted to be a boy. Her mother let her cut her hair short, after which she was bullied at school for being boyish and having short hair.

I appreciate why RTE chose her for the show — but representing her as "transgender" isn't accurate. She's an 8-year-old prepubescent child. Lots of girls go through a tomboy phase, which often ends when puberty hits.

She hasn't made any "life-changing" decisions. Hair grows back. Kids' identities are highly malleable. For this girl, it's far too early to know what her sexual or gender identity will ultimately be.

Yes, but now that segment been captured forever more on national television.

So, should she change her mind, then she might not be too happy about the decision to put her out there like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So, should she change her mind, then she might not be too happy about the decision to put her out there like that.

Yes bullying is wrong, yes she should be free to be who she likes but I just don't think it's fair to her future self.

If she changes her style later then so be it and I doubt this segment will be remembered (maybe by the outraged) for long.

I am still finding where her gender was discussed and she is trans or is it people jumping through hoops to make way more out of this then there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Yes bullying is wrong, yes she should be free to be who she likes but I just don't think it's fair to her future self.

I personally don't think the Late Late Toy Show was the time or the place to explore gender identity, transphobic bullying, environmental activism, homelessness, or any of the other social issues RTE managed to wedge into a show that should have been a lighthearted and fun occasion for kids to explore new toys. It turned kids into spokespeople for issues they don't necessarily understand. So the whole approach felt uncomfortable and a bit exploitative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Who says she wants to be a boy?

She has, through her mum, through a facebook post ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It turned kids into spokespeople for issues...

'wokespeople'

is that a word, it should be if it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I watched the toy show.
    It was only middleing if you ask me. I know they have a certain amount of things to get through but the whole show was too rushed trying to cover too many things.
    Most of the toys wouldn’t work and they hadn’t time to sort them out.
    The camera work was absolute sh1te with the camera missing most of the good stuff.
    Camera flickering over and back.
    Enough to give you the headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I personally don't think the Late Late Toy Show was the time or the place to explore gender identity, transphobic bullying, environmental activism, homelessness, or any of the other social issues RTE managed to wedge into a show that should have been a lighthearted and fun occasion for kids to explore new toys. It turned kids into spokespeople for issues they don't necessarily understand. So the whole approach felt uncomfortable and a bit exploitative.

They didn’t explore it though.
    They bounced off it in a rush job doing just enough to highlight the issue without doing anything about it.tick the box and next.clocks ticking folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

So how do you handle that one then? Either support the child on their journey or have a high risk of alienating them and damaging the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Let’s look at the LLTS:
    A live audience made up entirely of adults dressed as elves, no children allowed.
    Broadcast start 2 hours after most children’s bedtime.
    Hardly any “toys” featured.
    Some children brought on “perform” but continually talked over by suspiciously manic host.
    Host spends 3 hours ensuring that he, not any of the children, is front and centre of the show, this in the middle of a media storm over his vulgar 1/2 million salary.
    Host could have been one of many children’s program presenters, but no...
    The LLTS should be:
    Filmed and broadcast live on a Saturday morning in December in front of a live audience of children and parents hosted by an experienced children’s tv presenter featuring children demonstrating toys interspersed with some performances by children whose names have been pulled out of a hat.
    Toys and Christmas belong to children.
    There is enough tv scheduled for you my friend without having to tailor a kids programme to amuse you.

Some excellent ideas to improve it there. Think also it starts too late in the evening and absolutely let there be lots of children in the audience. Show needs a big revamp my kids weren’t smitten with it like other years. Maybe two presenters doing the show as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,358 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Sophia segment..

Nobody seems to have mentioned, or picked up on her claim that she was getting physically assaulted...

Name calling is one thing, and many many children do it. It’s natural..not saying it’s right, or nice, just part of childhood for so many...

But she also mentioned getting kicked. That is a little more sinister and nasty...

Ryan, the tool of an interviewer, seemed to let it go right over his head. Now, I am not saying he needed to grill her on it, but I certainly would have differentiated it, and emphasised it in comparison to the name calling...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just from talking to the general public yest and today sad to say there has indeed been verbal attacks and insults about the children.

Along with the height of abuse for tubridy himself but he gets well well paid for it. Including from ppl generally considered pillars of the community.

Not good:/

RTÉ are 100% to blame for setting up the children for ridicule and abuse from general society. Disgusting decision by the producers of the LLS

Advertisement