Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1m+ Evergreen with colour

Options
  • 29-11-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Could anyone suggest an evergreen which can reach at least 1 metre in height and has some colour to it throughout the year (other than green)?

I had considered Pyracantha (which has red berries), but now that I fully realise that the spikes on it are potentially dangerous (if children are near), I'd prefer to consider some other option.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Smythe wrote: »
    Could anyone suggest an evergreen which can reach at least 1 metre in height and has some colour to it throughout the year (other than green)?

I had considered Pyracantha, but now that I full realise that the spikes on it are potentially dangerous (if children are near), I'd prefer to consider some other option.

Thanks!

I like pittosporum silver queen and there are a few other varieties of it with nice green and white variegated leaves that are evergreen. I also have a purple leaved one but it seems a bit slower growing. Also photinia red robin has nice evergreen leaves which are different colours at different stages of their development and at different times of the year. Pieris forest flame is also a good one for different colours over the year and has nice flowers. There is also an interesting purple variegated leaved hebe that is shown in the linked clip and it seems to have some interesting colour all year round.

Camellia maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Ros1234

Portuguese laurel is a nice dark green in winter and the new growth in spring is a lighter shade of green. It also has white flowers in spring but they'd nearly go unnoticed on the hedge I planted 3 years ago. Nice and thick hedge though with only 1 pruning required a year.
    We hummed and hawed alot over which hedge to go with but we're very happy with our choice. Each to their own though, just another option to ponder over. Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Viburnum tinus is lovely too. White flowers from winter to spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Choisya ternata sundance

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

Photenia Red Robin. I keep.mine at a meter high. The red leaves fade to green in winter but we're in December now and still plenty of red there.
    I got them bare root and they shot up.

Advertisement