Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch controller question

Options
  • 30-11-2019 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I'm getting a Switch for Christmas, mainly to play multiplayer Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Mario Party but also for a bit of Zelda and Mario Oddessy.

The controller situation is confusing me. If I buy another set of joy cons (bringing total to 4) will I be able to play 4 player Mario Kart and Smash Bros comfortably? They look too small to play properly. It would be far too expensive to buy 3 sets of joycons (€80 for each set!).

Is it worth getting something like this to make them more comfortable? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725Z5WJC?

And do the joycon sets come with one of these or do you have to buy it separately? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Comfort-Black/dp/B01MS7YUA7

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Tusky wrote: »
    Howdy folks,

I'm getting a Switch for Christmas, mainly to play multiplayer Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Mario Party but also for a bit of Zelda and Mario Oddessy.

The controller situation is confusing me. If I buy another set of joy cons (bringing total to 4) will I be able to play 4 player Mario Kart and Smash Bros comfortably? They look too small to play properly. It would be far too expensive to buy 3 sets of joycons (€80 for each set!).

Is it worth getting something like this to make them more comfortable? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725Z5WJC?

And do the joycon sets come with one of these or do you have to buy it separately? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Comfort-Black/dp/B01MS7YUA7

Cheers!

Mario party for some stupid dumb reason requires single joycon per player. Why Nintendo? Why?

The other games do not.

Indeed, joycons are really a convenience for mobile 2 player games. They are awkward , small, fiddly, expensive and break/drift ...2 in a joycon grip is ok.

Just get pro controllers. Either Nintendo ones in a sale or 3rd party eg 8bitdo ones. 8bitdo seem to get highest recs for 3rd party and much cheaper than Nintendo pro. Eg sn30 pro+. There are loads of 3rd party controllers. I'm sure you'll get recs on here. I think the Nintendo pro controller is great, but it's expensive. If you see it less than 60 quid then that's a good price.

You'll want one with good motion control for first person shooters and breath of the wild.

You can even connect wiiu, PS4 and Xbox controllers with a 20 quid device called a magic-ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

conormario wrote: »
    You can even connect wiiu, PS4 and Xbox controllers with a 20 quid device called a magic-ns.

Really?! That would be extremely handy as I already own 4 PS4 controllers. Does it work well? If so I could just buy that and one set of extra joy cons for Mario Party and portable gaming.

Really?! That would be extremely handy as I already own 4 PS4 controllers. Does it work well? If so I could just buy that and one set of extra joy cons for Mario Party and portable gaming.

I have one with a Wii u pro controller and it's absolutely fine. No motion control .. but the only game I need that for is BOTW. But for that you can use they joycon controllers in a grip.

AFAIK PS4 controllers work really well including motion control ... But you need 1 magic NS per controller and I am not sure how 4 might work as there are 3 usb ports on switch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9x7rlu/magic_ns_adapter_or_8bitdo_for_ps4_controller/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

But plenty of options

Also 8bitdo device that works similarly.

Here, loads of info and good reviews here on Amazon com
    https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Magic-NS-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B079B5KHWQ

You might need to update it ... And a pc (not Mac) is the easiest way. I didn't have to for Wii u controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

conormario wrote: »
    I have one with a Wii u pro controller and it's absolutely fine. No motion control .. but the only game I need that for is BOTW. But for that you can use they joycon controllers in a grip.

AFAIK PS4 controllers work really well including motion control ... But you need 1 magic NS per controller and I am not sure how 4 might work as there are 3 usb ports on switch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9x7rlu/magic_ns_adapter_or_8bitdo_for_ps4_controller/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

But plenty of options

Also 8bitdo device that works similarly.

Oh. I thought one magic NS would allow you to use 4 PS4 controllers. That could work out quite expensive if you need 4 adaptors.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to buy one extra set of joycons, x2 8bitdo controllers, and one extra grip. This would allow 4 player with either 1 joycon each, or 2 people playing on 8bitdo and 2 with joycon/grip setup.

Switches are expensive!

• Advertisement

Oh. I thought one magic NS would allow you to use 4 PS4 controllers. That could work out quite expensive if you need 4 adaptors.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to buy one extra set of joycons, x2 8bitdo controllers, and one extra grip. This would allow 4 player with either 1 joycon each, or 2 people playing on 8bitdo and 2 with joycon/grip setup.

Switches are expensive!

Or just forget about Mario party ... It's not that good AFAIK , Amazon.de have it for 99 quid inc. a set of joycons. Postage extra. If you really want it.

If you can forget it, then it's 60 quid extra for 3 magic NSs. Do some research to make sure 3 will work ok.

Edit ... Buy one magic NS first and see how you get on :)

First world problems :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Switches are expensive!

If you happen to already have Gamecube controllers, you can get a 4-way USb-to-GC adapter for ~£20, based off the one that Nintendo released with Smash Bros. No motion control obviously and at least one person needs to use Joycons for navigating menus etc, but I've found it works fine for stuff like Mario Kart multiplayer etc.

Alternatively I have found the Beboncool PXN wireless controller a very decent 3rd party wireless pro controller, and it's on Amazon for £25. The only non-obvious aspect of it is that you have to turn on wired pro cobtroller detection on for it to pair initially over its USB cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Hi guys setting up two switches for my two boys , one switch has MARIO cart included the other is a normal switch with labo pack, I setup one account but I am confused how to setup, can I share 1 game or do I need another, I then bought a MARIO cart plus family membership for 1 year also but it won’t except code because MARIO cart was redeemed on account first, it’s a pain to set up online , any advice, thanks

Advertisement