Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much in debt are you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Zero debt at the moment. Prior to saving for a mortgage I put a lot into stock and index funds, specific tax-deductible government approved investment fund* and company stock (at a 25% discount).

The last 6 months and next 8 or so I've had to build up my cash pile for the deposit instead. So all investments save for my pension and tax-deductible investment fund have been halted.

* I don't live in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Was never on the dole and never a day off work sick either.

Here, have a tiny medal.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Other than the mortgage, I have been debt free for years. I got rid of the credit card a few years ago, once I could clear the balance after a nice tax rebate came through. I only got a credit card because I was traveling and using your own bank card abroad was still very hit-and-miss at the time.

I have never been one for always tapping mates for a tenner or whatever; feels a bit scabby. I took a small business loan years ago when I was self-employed, but I wouldn’t see the point of taking out a loan to buy presents or something that would not give you a return on that loan amount.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

New mortage as we moved from.a 2 bed apartment to s 4 bed house a few months back.

Normally have a couple of hundred euros on the credit card each month but is cleared in full each month.

Need to sit down and go through xmas spends as it's a bit higher than normal but on track to clear everything with this months pay and we are pretty much done present wise.

Luckily both of us think the same way re money and dont like debt except for the mortgage.

Wife paid off a new iPhone with Argos 6 months interest free (why use your own money when you can use someone elses) but don't normally do HPs, small loans for holidays, car etc.

An conscious we are fortunate enough to be in this position, is very very easy to get into (non mortgage) debt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭CivilCybil

6k other than mortgage. Was on 26k a year and recently moved to 33k so hopefully will use the extra to repay the debt in 2020 and start building some savings.

Have been a single parent for a long time and sometimes debt has been necessary just to keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Just under €180K on the mortgage and €35K on a car loan.

The car loan is higher than I’d like but it’s an EV and if I’ve done the calculations right the fuel savings will match the depreciation over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

None thankfully. I had a car long for about 10 years that I kept topping up and changing car with, but cleared that about 5 years ago and haven’t had any debt since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

€1,333 on one term loan, €8,567 on another, €6,442 on another, €51,000 on another, about €8,500 on one credit card and €6,000 on another. Apart from those and the mortgage, completely debt free.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No debt...bar mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ignoring the mortgage, nothing. I pay for my cars in cash. What other things are people using debt for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Nothing just my mortgage and that will hopefully be paid off next year.

€230,000 left on my mortgage
    €4,000 left on my wedding
    €10,000 left between my and my wife’s cars

The heir to the overdraft as I call my son...

How much was the wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

About€107,000

Sure.... I'll be ok , nobody worry about me , I'll be fine...

McGaggs wrote: »
    Ignoring the mortgage, nothing. I pay for my cars in cash. What other things are people using debt for?

Business loans and property purchase. It’s much easier to finance property investment through multiple short term loans than through a mortgage. For the same amount of compared to term loans, the red tape around a mortgage is onerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Apart from the mortgage only loan about 6.5k left on car loan. It's a 0% rate and the car is worth about 14k so not overly worried about it. No credit card.

Hoping so clear mortgage in next year or two by selling and moving to a smaller property we plan on building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

2500 credit union loan, I pay it off and top up when i need money or have extra cash to pay it off, usually borrow up to 5 grand when i need it and pay it back asap, 250 a month on a finance loan and 180 a month for insurance, also gone 5 grand into my overdraft due to bad luck and bad weather

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

It’s interesting that people often use the term, ‘nothing, just the mortgage’. It’s like the guy with a €400,000 mortgage looking down on the guy with a €4,000 car loan. Debt is debt, interest is dead money, a house with a mortgage is a liability not an asset (unless it’s generating income above the mortgage re-payments).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

I'm in debt to my mam and dad. Always there to help me and my family out. Love ya Mam & Dad, you are the best!

HamSarris wrote: »
    It’s interesting that people often use the term, ‘nothing, just the mortgage’. It’s like the guy with a €400,000 mortgage looking down on the guy with a €4,000 car loan. Debt is debt, interest is dead money, a house with a mortgage is a liability not an asset (unless it’s generating income above the mortgage re-payments).

I suppose that's because virtually no one can buy a house without a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Chronically overdrawn to the bank of love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In fairness I don't think anybody is looking down on anybody else, but just answering the question asked. The OP did specifically say "not taking mortgages into account".

The vast majority of people of a certain age won't own a property outright so will either be paying rent or a mortgage. Stuff like car loans, credit card debt and so on are all more elective whereas we all have to live somewhere so it's understandable to partition this from normal debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

None fiscally, but plenty in life!

Good answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Barely anyone on AH has debt and Irish household debt stands at 137.5 billion euro

AH seems disconnected with Irish life as a whole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I owe a debt of gratitude ...

...to my parents for teaching me how to be happy and content with the things I can afford.

So, no debt here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Don't be ashamed by being in debt. There are stages of life where it is necessary such as going to college, mortgage, putting kids through school, putting food on the table and clothing the family.

What's important is that you know what you are borrowing and can manage the repayments. Very few people have cash in hand for every bill that appears before them. Going without necessities (as opposed to luxuries) is no life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

joejoggs wrote: »
    How much in debt are you and your current income. Would be interesting to see. Not taking mortgages into account.

How much in debt?
    About three fiddy
    Current Income?
    One million dollars.

Don't be ashamed by being in debt. There are stages of life where it is necessary such as going to college, mortgage, putting kids through school, putting food on the table and clothing the family.

What's important is that you know what you are borrowing and can manage the repayments. Very few people have cash in hand for every bill that appears before them. Going without necessities (as opposed to luxuries) is no life

Thank you for saying this. Some people have no choice but to get into debt to improve their lives. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

A house with a mortgage is not just a liability. A €500k house with a €100k mortgage is an asset of €400k. The house isn’t the liability. The mortgage is the liability.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Barely anyone on AH has debt and Irish household debt stands at 137.5 billion euro

But doesn't a national household debt figure include mortgages?

I don't think AH ever represented the population as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

What about you? Mr Rev Comm

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Indeed. It seems AH posters are much more responsible and affluent than the norm. Or else posters are coming on to this this thread to boast.
    Just two final payments in the yacht and then I'll be debt free.

A lot of their parents might be struggling with debt to be fair

I'd say the age profile here has a lot to do with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Ghosteen

1 million dollars!!!

No, it's because the OP specified debt other than mortgage debt.

A house with a mortgage is an asset and a liability. Banks only lending 80% of the value means they should net to an asset. A car, because of their depreciation profile, will likely always net off against the associated loan to a liability.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd say the age profile here has a lot to do with that

Correct, there are stages, or phases, in life when it is virtually impossible to avoid some level of debt. And that is perfectly sound financially, if you can service the debt. Working your way up a career ladder while on a low income, with young kids, house repairs or car trouble, for instance, can leave you needing to borrow.
    Very few people in the early years of marriage or while raising a family have gone debt free.

There are stages of life where it is necessary such as .... putting food on the table and clothing the family.

I'd hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

“Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it. He who doesn’t, pays it.” Albert Einstein

It took me far too long to understand this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

What I dont get about some peoples understanding about cars and debt....

My neighbor for instance is only working part time , his wife is on maternity leave with their 3rd child and she works seasonal mostly ... he goes to look for a car loan for 10k but says he cant get loan so he purchase brand new skoda Octavia on PCP and is paying €345 a month ..... his wife still has over 2 years loan on her car.

It's a bloody tin on wheels !!!!! Why hang a huge depreciating car around your neck .....

Buy a bloody cheap car and use another loan and go on a beautiful holiday somewhere hot if you want debt so badly!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

No debt whatsoever. Income? €80k+

What about yourself OP?

Maybe I’m confusing you with another Boardsie but I thought you were retired? Fair play and well done either way, wouldn’t mind a few life lessons from you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Boards has never been representative of Irish life as a whole, although it has become moreso since it was initially set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I can't afford to be in debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I can't afford to be in debt.

yep, i think people on low income or the dole are the one's who live most sensibly...they budget themselves to every last cent

its the one's on big salaries who spend all around them and then regret it when the credit card bill needs to be paid

My neighbor for instance is only working part time , his wife is on maternity leave with their 3rd child and she works seasonal mostly ... he goes to look for a car loan for 10k but says he cant get loan so he purchase brand new skoda Octavia on PCP and is paying €345 a month ..... his wife still has over 2 years loan on her car.

It's a bloody tin on wheels !!!!! Why hang a huge depreciating car around your neck .....

Buy a bloody cheap car and use another loan and go on a beautiful holiday somewhere hot if you want debt so badly!!!!!

Debt for a holiday are you mad? Holidays are a bit of a waste or money compared to most things but getting on debt for one so you can drive a heap of scrap tje other 51 weeks of the year? I think most would choose the new car over a week away long forgotten.

I never will get people’s issue with buying new cars or their fear of a car loan or pcp it’s all very bizarre.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    yep, i think people on low income or the dole are the one's who live most sensibly...they budget themselves to every last cent

its the one's on big salaries who spend all around them and then regret it when the credit card bill needs to be paid

Not sure about this. People on low income spend a much larger portion of their income on highly taxed vices like alcohol and tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Car loan, 8000 left to pay, some minor creditors for supplies on credit, but I'm good for it, nothing that won't be handled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

eviltwin wrote: »
    Thank you for saying this. Some people have no choice but to get into debt to improve their lives. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Unlike the norm here , I’ve been up to my tits in debt from greed after wasting 10 years of my life I’m nearly free . Some of it luck coupled with hard work and no waste or luxury spending (not that I ever really blew money bar a car )

My advice to anyone do without it if u haven’t in your hand bar a mortgage maybe !

I aged 20 years over it , destroyed my life wrecked a marriage , missed my younglads growing up all over greed !

I’m happy with being debt free now , I feel I’m worth a million believe it or not

I drive a debt free 11 year old car. A nice way to deflate someone driving a shiny new 192 or soon, a 201 is not to say “oh I see you got a new car” but “oh I see you got a new loan”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nothing. Love my credit card though. Put everything on it. If any month is tight just leave it and pay the few quid interest. Peoples' phobias to cards is gas. A massive tool to manage and spread the years expenditure. Also have a car on PCP. Absolutely the best thing I ever did. What a car and don't notice the repayments one way or the other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement