Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much in debt are you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I can't afford to be in debt.

This! We could do with changing one of our cars (13 years old) but can’t afford the interest and depreciation at present. We have a mortgage and childcare bills to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thankfully no debts, extremely unusual for my age group, feel very sorry for those heavily indebted, just to get access to life's most critical of needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

13k against 13k in shares with credit union for remaining balance of a wedding and a second car. Hopefully we will see some of the money back from the wedding and everyone doesn't buy us a toaster and waffle maker

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

Besides mortgage, about 1k left off a €3k credit union loan towards a car. It will be paid off in full next February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I drive a debt free 11 year old car. A nice way to deflate someone driving a shiny new 192 or soon, a 201 is not to say “oh I see you got a new car” but “oh I see you got a new loan”.

But why would you feel the need to “deflate” someone? I really don’t understand that begrudger attitude.

I m looking forward to my new car, because that’s my thing. And I won’t owe one cent on it,

• Advertisement

No debt whatsoever. Income? €80k+

What about yourself OP?

Nobody asked about income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

You better read the op again

It’s asked in the very first post.

I only read the titles. Too busy generating income and being great for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

joejoggs wrote: »
    How much in debt are you and your current income. Would be interesting to see. Not taking mortgages into account.

I despair at the inability of some people to read and comprehend a basic question.

Any response from the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I don't believe in going into debt to fund purchases of depreciating assets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Never been in debt. Dont buy anything I cant afford. If I want it, I save for it.

Got slagged and brow beat about my 06 A4 (which I got rid of this year and got a company EV) for years by friends and some family while they've been driving big new cars. I earn more than all of them I assume but the A4 was mine, they're land rovers and land cruisers etc were all the banks.

I dont own a house yet but I have a good sum of money saved and will take my first loan ever shortly. It's actually giving me sleepless nights if I'm honest and I see so many people around me so quick and eager to jump into debt. I just cant understand it.

I looked at the mortgage and for a house worth 400k, I'll pay the bank a profit of 179k over the term. Almost half the value of the house. So for me to sell it and break even, it needs to increase in value by 50%. That's at the best mortgage rate in the country meaning I have to save more money to achieve that rate.

I by no means live frugal and not mean with money but my Grandfather always told me, the only loan anyone should take is a mortgage and I live by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have 19k left to pay off in a 69k loan for my birthday party but other than that, no debt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No debt. Income about 25k.
    Other than the house, I have never bought anything on credit.
    If I can't afford it I have to decide if I want to save for it or not.
    The nuns did a good job on my generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Nil with the exception of the mortgage which is shaping up to be paid off at least 15 years ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

221k or thereabouts.
    2 mortgages and a small personal loan.

I'm not surprised at the responses.
    Debt isn't as common as is made out.
    Equally I don't think anyone is going to admit they borrowed from the credit union for a once in a lifetime family trip to lapland to see Santa.

small car loan after the last one was on the way out
    not a new one. just new to me
    even that much is annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Currently just have a car loan that’s a fraction of what the car is worth will hopefully pay that off in the next 12 months. After that want to avoid all other debts apart from getting a mortgage on a house which should be in the next 2 years.

I do use a credit card for day to day expenses but clear it 100% every month so have never paid interest on it. Prefer to use a credit card as you have increased protection, also it keeps my current account clean looking with just one monthly transaction to pay it off each month. Rather than loads of transactions if I was using my debit card to buy everything.

LeBash wrote: »

I looked at the mortgage and for a house worth 400k, I'll pay the bank a profit of 179k over the term. Almost half the value of the house. So for me to sell it and break even, it needs to increase in value by 50%. That's at the best mortgage rate in the country meaning I have to save more money to achieve that rate.

Overpaying the mortgage is a good way to minimise interest payments..... Especially for folk who plan to save money.

In the spirit of diversification saving some, pensioning some & overpaying some is a good way to go for folk with decent income, a mortgage & a desire to set themselves up long-term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Why do some overpay the mortgage, I've often wondered why anyone would bother, i can't see any advantage to me paying off mine early

I work in finance and there are a lot more people in debt than this thread makes out.

Restructuring Overdrafts and Credit Cards into loans happens multiple times everyday of the week.

People of all salaries and age groups too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Car loan €3,000 remaining from 9,000€

Credit Card € 830

Savings for mortgage at the moment currently 13K

Plan on getting rid of both CC and Loan by March next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

25k on my shiny new 192 car that I make no excuses for having.
    2k on a credit card which I throw a few quid off a week.
    But I bought my house for cash so have no accommodation expenditure and I'm a stay at home parent so no child care costs.
    The debts we have I have made sure that even if our income was gone tomorrow and we had to sign on the dole we could still pay what we owe so for me it's acceptable debt.
    Taking the kids to Florida in the summer but I will and am saving like mad to pay for that.

Why do some overpay the mortgage, I've often wondered why anyone would bother, i can't see any advantage to me paying off mine early

I’m the same.

At ECB plus .5 percent, it’s the cheapest money I’ll ever get, so let it roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

I was 30 before entering any type of formal debt.

7,000 car loan, which I still owe 1,500 on.
    4,400 credit card loan (8% instead of 17%), I still owe 3,600 of that
    2,500 holiday loan I still owe 1,600 of.

So I'm 7,700 in the red.

Some bad choices there, but have lived and learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Don't owe anyone a single cent. If i can't afford it with cash i wont buy it simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It's a question of ability to pay and maths.

Let's say I have €1000 spare cash and have no need for it. I use this as overpayment.
    This can reduce the term or the monthly repayment. I go for the latter.

The €1000 overpayment reduces my monthly by €10 per month and that is a total reduction in repayments of €1300 over the remaining period of my mortgage. So my 1000 turns into 1300.

But.. if I return the reduced repayment amount into more overpayments then the effect compounds.

This makes perfect sense for me as I dont spend all my salary and have am lucky be able to afford overpayments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Equally I don't think anyone is going to admit they borrowed from the credit union for a once in a lifetime family trip to lapland to see Santa.

I does seem strange that people won't post about it compared to peeps out of debt, is there some strange social shame/stigma attached to debt???

Considering
    Ireland still has one of the highest per capita debt levels in the world. Central Statistics Office (CSO) figures, published on Friday, show it equates to €44,365 for every man, woman and child in the State or nearly €90,000 for every worker in the economy

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-s-debt-44-365-is-owed-by-every-man-woman-and-child-in-the-state-1.3954806

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

1k on the credit card which I will pay off this week and the mortgage which has 25 years left on it.

I put some money aside every week on a pension scheme and have a few bob saved in the bank as well.

Don't have any kids so any bit extra I spend on a holiday every year to see a bit of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Because it will save you a packet in interest over the life of the mortgage plus you'll be mortgage free a few years earlier.

I only overpay mine by 10% each month but all going to plan I will finish my term 3 or 4 years earlier which is worth roughly 35k - 45k.

It's a question of ability to pay and maths.

Let's say I have €1000 spare cash and have no need for it. I use this as overpayment.
    This can reduce the term or the monthly repayment. I go for the latter.

The €1000 overpayment reduces my monthly by €10 per month and that is a total reduction in repayments of €1300 over the remaining period of my mortgage. So my 1000 turns into 1300.

But.. if I return the reduced repayment amount into more overpayments then the effect compounds.

This makes perfect sense for me as I dont spend all my salary and have am lucky be able to afford overpayments.

Not worth overpaying for me. Or for anyone on a cheap tracker.

I leave my cheap mortgage repayments roll (interest is minimal) and put the would be overpayments into my pension. Chance for compound growth. The tax break is the real gain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Because it will save you a packet in interest over the life of the mortgage plus you'll be mortgage free a few years earlier.

I only overpay mine by 10% each month but all going to plan I will finish my term 3 or 4 years earlier which is worth roughly 35k - 45k.

Same here, started overpaying by 10% this time last year, it's easy to keep an eye on things and the option is there to back down if things start getting a bit tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Augeo wrote: »
    Overpaying the mortgage is a good way to minimise interest payments..... Especially for folk who plan to save money.

In the spirit of diversification saving some, pensioning some & overpaying some is a good way to go for folk with decent income, a mortgage & a desire to set themselves up long-term.

Agreed and understand but the thoughts of owing money for whatever reason feels wrong in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

About 25k in personal debt on top of the mortgage, all due to unfortunate timing.

Anything with a high interest rate is taken over the shortest time possible and is always paid off on time or early.

I don't understand the aversion some people have to debt, very few of us have large cash reserves. The huge advantage for me is a good credit rating - if I was unlucky enough for the boiler, washing machine and tumble dryer to give up the ghost in the morning I'd be able to replace them quickly.

I would always buy a quality version of something, and keep it until it was no longer economical to repair, rather than a cheap stopgap solution, so I do get my money's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

filled the car with diesel yesterday only to realize i had forgotten the wallet , so i owe the lady in the local filling station 55 e . I'll drop it in to her later and i'll be debt free then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

anewme wrote: »

I leave my cheap mortgage repayments roll (interest is minimal) and put the would be overpayments into my pension. Chance for compound growth. The tax break is the real gain though.

I over pay by 10%, I set that up because after paying 20% into my pension I could afford it and at an effective rate of 3% net of DIRT it’s the highest interest rate I could get for that amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

That's fair enough. I had thought of putting the spare cash in the pension but would not get access to it until I retire. But by overpaying the mortgage I get to use the cash much much earlier. I too am on a tracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Unlike the norm here , I’ve been up to my tits in debt from greed after wasting 10 years of my life I’m nearly free . Some of it luck coupled with hard work and no waste or luxury spending (not that I ever really blew money bar a car )

My advice to anyone do without it if u haven’t in your hand bar a mortgage maybe !

I aged 20 years over it , destroyed my life wrecked a marriage , missed my younglads growing up all over greed !

I’m happy with being debt free now , I feel I’m worth a million believe it or not

I was lucky in that my lost decade was 18-28 or so. I didn't have the imagination or access to credit to get myself into really bad debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Regardless of cheap interest you would still likely benefit from finishing the term earlier, those couple of years at the end that you will have to pay zero will still be worth thousands.

Some low risk invesment rates aren't great so overpaying the mortgage is a good return for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Why would anyone sign a mortgage contract they don’t understand?

I have saved €150k by paying mine off early.

Absolute nonsense. People like to enjoy life and part of that is buying and owning nice things.

This is madness. Happiness is not being surrounded by material things you bought for a dopamine hit but no longer want. I'm slowly reducing the amount of things I own and it making me happier. Happiness comes from doing things, not driving your 192 to the retail park.

Sounds pretty boring to me and to lots of others though (aside from owning your home). Most of the stuff on your list I get great enjoyment from and have a lot of interest in like new phones and tech, nice clothes, watches etc. I am also very interested in cars and they mean for more than just something to get from A to B.

Someone who was into cars wouldn't be getting into debt to buy a new Quasqai. They'd be getting something along these lines: https://oldcolonelcars.co.uk/listing/bmw-e31-8-series-840-sport/ and I'd say fair play to them.

I think those people are on Facebook rather than boards.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    25k on my shiny new 192 car that I make no excuses for having.
    2k on a credit card which I throw a few quid off a week.
    But I bought my house for cash so have no accommodation expenditure and I'm a stay at home parent so no child care costs.
    The debts we have I have made sure that even if our income was gone tomorrow and we had to sign on the dole we could still pay what we owe so for me it's acceptable debt.
    Taking the kids to Florida in the summer but I will and am saving like mad to pay for that.

This would seem to run contrary to the 'traditional' approach to debt, but I think you're winning at debt here. Higher rates of interest, but much shorter terms are likely to be less expensive than a mortgage. I'm going to be nosey and ask: what kind of car is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

McGaggs wrote: »
    This is madness. Happiness is not being surrounded by material things you bought for a dopamine hit but no longer want. I'm slowly reducing the amount of things I own and it making me happier. Happiness comes from doing things, not driving your 192 to the retail park.

Driving is a thing one does.

If you don't enjoy driving a nice car, that's fine. I don't enjoy skydiving or roller coasters. Or eating lobster. Why would I look down on you just wanted a dopamine hit from such a thing which retains absolutely zero practical value afterwards because you like something I don't?

I also overpay my mortgage a bit. Not by much. 2-4%. Doesn't sound like much, but my mortgage is one year into 30, and even a little now can be a notable guaranteed saving at the end and may help with an earlier retirement by not having that bill any more sooner. Go try an early repayment/ additional principal calculator online, you might be impressed by the values.

For folk with tracker mortgages there's not much point. So too terminally ill people etc.

Otherwise you save potentially thousands in interest..... Most folk don't know how much interest they are paying so they are oblivious to the potential savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The interest rate on a mortgage adds up to a considerable sum over the term. Hopefully mine will be paid by this time next year, I'd rather have that monthly payment in my account than in the banks.

Driving is a thing one does.

If you don't enjoy driving a nice car, that's fine. I don't enjoy skydiving or roller coasters. Or eating lobster. Why would I look down on you just wanted a dopamine hit from such a thing which retains absolutely zero practical value afterwards because you like something I don't?

I also overpay my mortgage a bit. Not by much. 2-4%. Doesn't sound like much, but my mortgage is one year into 30, and even a little now can be a notable guaranteed saving at the end and may help with an earlier retirement by not having that bill any more sooner. Go try an early repayment/ additional principal calculator online, you might be impressed by the values.

I was responding directly to the person who said they liked buying things. Owning things that you enjoy using, or even just having, is a good use of money (even though not everyone can understand the appeal of owning certain items that other people love). Enjoying buying things seems nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

McGaggs wrote: »

Doing things has become as soulless as owning stuff. Going to some corporate music event is just a new version of driving to the retail park. It's all consumption!! Corporations have long moved into the doing things industry, it's just more mindless consumption! At least we don't have to look at 50 social media posts from the person going to the shop to buy something.

Sitting in a field naked, no phone, no electricity and lashing back the liberty caps is the only true thing left :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement