Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Murphy TD gorging at the trough?

Options
  • 30-11-2019 12:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fg-s-dara-murphy-based-in-brussels-for-two-years-but-claiming-4-300-monthly-d%C3%A1il-allowance-1.4098598
    Cork North Central TD Dara Murphy has claimed his full parliamentary and travel allowances of €4,300 per month despite not having spoken in the Dáil for almost two years.
    Mr Murphy is expected to take up a new post as deputy head of cabinet for Bulgarian EU commissioner Mariya Gabriel in December. If he is appointed to the position he will be required to resign from the Dáil.
    He has the lowest attendance record of all 158 TDs.
    However, Mr Murphy has been recorded as being present in Leinster House on 55 non-sitting days – among the highest of all TDs.
    Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan has said that his party colleague Dara Murphy has "a number of questions to answer" about his Dáil attendance record, and the expenses he claimed, over the past two years.
    Speaking on RTÉ, Mr Flanagan said it is "incumbent" on the former Minister of State for European Affairs to answer those questions.

Are there any FG TDs working for their constuents and the good of the country or are they all milking the system or trying to get on the EU gravy train?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

His tweet feed is mainly retweeting Joseph Daul
    https://twitter.com/daramurphyfg?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

As one of his constituents, I think it's a good thing that he's been so absent. He's so useless, we're actually better off without him there even though it means we've been short a TD for our area.

He certainly won't be missed.

I'll never forget his performance on Vincent Browne trying to explain the difference between GDP and GNP (Hint: he completely fcuked up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEcUBXI4ZX8

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

To my mind, that's out and out fraud. AGS should be involved. How many dole cheats add up to a single Dara Murphy? Anyone care to do the sums? A TD's salary plus tax free expenses and he hasn't been doing the job in years.

I'm not typically one for outrage, but this guy's head should be on a metaphorical pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

As one of his constituents, I think it's a good thing that he's been so absent. He's so useless, we're actually better off without him there even though it means we've been short a TD for our area.

I'll never forget his performance on Vincent Browne trying to explain the difference between GDP and GNP (Hint: he completely fcuked up).

Jesus that’s an eye opener of a video. What an arrogant incompetent buffoon. Vincent Browne tore him to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-td-dara-murphy-formally-resigns-from-the-dil-38753209.html

If Varadkar had any moral compass , he should demand all monies that Murphy claimed from the State be reimbursed . He should also "Un-appoint" him from his cushy number in Europe . Is this the standard of person Ireland wishes to be represented by . And they take a homeless child to court for stealing a bottle of Fizz . What times we live in .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The VB video - yep, I remember it well.

But piggytroughnose Dara would be only taking the lead from his dear leader, Leo the lion.
    He was also well known for not having a fcking clue about anything and was exposed regularly on VB as being absolutely vacant of ideas or comprehension about virtually any question asked yet he's now the Taoiseach.

It appears Dara wobbled into the Dail last night, voted to save the Minister for REITS then promptly tendered his resignation thereby according to the rules reported, avoiding any inquiry into his alleged fraudulent conduct.
    Oh and he immediately steps into a 150k job in Europe (the one he's being doing for the past 2 years but claiming expenses for attending the Dail)
    So double jobbing, alleged fraud in Dail expenses, hasn't represented his constituents in over 2 years and resigns thereby likely costing another expensive by-election in poor old CNC which had one only last week.

Never change, Ireland of the troughs...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yurt! wrote: »
    To my mind, that's out and out fraud. AGS should be involved. How many dole cheats add up to a single Dara Murphy? Anyone care to do the sums? A TD's salary plus tax free expenses and he hasn't been doing the job in years.

I'm not typically one for outrage, but this guy's head should be on a metaphorical pike.
    Seemingly not against the rules but not in the spirit of good behaviour. It's not a crime but they should take a good look at his "expenses".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mountai wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-td-dara-murphy-formally-resigns-from-the-dil-38753209.html

If Varadkar had any moral compass ,
    he should demand all monies that Murphy claimed from the State be reimbursed . He should also "Un-appoint" him from his cushy number in Europe . Is this the standard of person Ireland wishes to be represented by . And they take a homeless child to court for stealing a bottle of Fizz . What times we live in .

Hahaha he couldnt give 2 ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hahaha he couldnt give 2 ****s

he should , there will be a very fine margin between FF and FG in this upcoming election. He cant introduce another budget between now and then, so he should be doing everything in his power, to give his part the best chance of winning more seats that FF...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The VB video - yep, I remember it well.

But piggytroughnose Dara would be only taking the lead from his dear leader, Leo the lion.
    He was also well known for not having a fcking clue about anything and was exposed regularly on VB as being absolutely vacant of ideas or comprehension about virtually any question asked yet he's now the Taoiseach.

It appears Dara wobbled into the Dail last night, voted to save the Minister for REITS then promptly tendered his resignation thereby according to the rules reported, avoiding any inquiry into his alleged fraudulent conduct.
    Oh and he immediately steps into a 150k job in Europe (the one he's being doing for the past 2 years but claiming expenses for attending the Dail)
    So double jobbing, alleged fraud in Dail expenses, hasn't represented his constituents in over 2 years and resigns thereby likely costing another expensive by-election in poor old CNC which had one only last week.

Never change, Ireland of the troughs...

You're right, it's actually disgusting what Dara Murphy was allowed get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Idbatterim wrote: »
    he should , there will be a very fine margin between FF and FG in this upcoming election. He cant introduce another budget between now and then, so he should be doing everything in his power, to give his part the best chance of winning more seats that FF...

Its very obvious from the way he talks to anyone questioning him, he couldnt give a ****!

Maria Bailey got ravaged over the past 6 months and deservedly so but to me what Dara Murphy has been doing is much worse.

No doubt Bailey showed an incredible lack of self awareness and entitlement and was correctly removed from the FG ticket.

But for me Dara Murphy should be considered a criminal for what he's been doing. What he feels justifies his arrogant is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maria Bailey got ravaged over the past 6 months and deservedly so but to me what Dara Murphy has been doing is much worse.

No doubt Bailey showed an incredible lack of self awareness and entitlement and was correctly removed from the FG ticket.

But for me Dara Murphy should be considered a criminal for what he's been doing. What he feels justifies his arrogant is beyond me.
    The rules seem to say he and others can so you change the rules so they can't. Need a good audit of what he claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The journals story - see the bottom:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dara-murphy-4917764-Dec2019/

Comments are closed due to the extremely high number of flagged comments

Fg spin machine out in full force!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Idbatterim wrote: »

I'm not sure FG have the same burning drive to stay top dog that FF would have in their position. If it becomes clear that the next government can only be formed by another arrangement of some sort between FF and FG, I suspect many in FG would be quite happy, in their heart of hearts, to return the favour FF have been doing them and support a minority FF government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I was only saying the same this morning to a friend, if she got a roasting for her behaviour he deserves to be burnt to a crisp. He lives less than a mile from me and I've not seen him once in the the almost 9 years since he became a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I miss Vincent ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Just read about FFs Brian Crowley who was at the exact same think and not a peep about it.

There is definitely a concentrated effort to finish FG off for good.

Time will tell if it’s a good thing.

Just read about FFs Brian Crowley who was at the exact same think and not a peep about it.

Crowley's case was slightly different as his absence was due to illness compared to Murphy's double-jobbing.

Still he too should have resigned his seat when it was clear he wouldn't be able to carry out his duties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

4,300 a month that's two salaries of €25,800 a year, nice one...

The mind boggles, reminds me of that Spitting image sketch of John Major going around to constituents before an election, telling everyone at their doors they're stupid...

It's something else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

mountai wrote: »

If Varadkar had any moral compass , he should demand all monies that Murphy claimed from the State be reimbursed . He should also "Un-appoint" him from his cushy number in Europe . Is this the standard of person Ireland wishes to be represented by . And they take a homeless child to court for stealing a bottle of Fizz . What times we live in .

This isn't news to Leo. Lord in the Irish Times suggests it's a known running joke for years like with Enda Kenny. They turn up just enough to claim expenses and such, but sure "welfare cheats cheat us all". Hypocrites and shysters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What with Farrell, and Bailey at the old insurance claim shenanigans, then later at the expense shenanigans too, (along with others in the party might I add), now Darragh Double Jobbing Murphy, I gotta ask this........

Is it coming from within the party itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What with Farrell, and Bailey at the old insurance claim shenanigans, then later at the expense shenanigans too, (along with others in the party might I add), now Darragh Double Jobbing Murphy, I gotta ask this........

Is it coming from within the party itself?

Something at play alright or it’s just the era where everything is now found out due to social media and phones.

No one gets away with anything anymore.

Which is a good thing.

Many a scandal buried and lost in the past as things were a lot different.

I think FG get confused and the wheels come off when they find themselves in charge for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Something at play alright or it’s just the era where everything is now found out due to social media and phones.

No one gets away with anything anymore.

Which is a good thing.

Many a scandal buried and lost in the past as things were a lot different.

Pretty much - I put it down to Wiffy. Wiffy is everywhere now, and it's so easy to upload your downloads to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think FG get confused and the wheels come off when they find themselves in charge for too long.

Actually, it is just that FG don't resort to the same recklessness that FF do.

Can anyone imagine a Bertie Ahern government running a €1.5 bn surplus the year before an election?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1203/1096750-donohoe-eyes-0-4-budget-surplus-on-corporate-tax-boom/

blanch152 wrote: »
    Actually, it is just that FG don't resort to the same recklessness that FF do.

Can anyone imagine a Bertie Ahern government running a €1.5 bn surplus the year before an election?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1203/1096750-donohoe-eyes-0-4-budget-surplus-on-corporate-tax-boom/

This is just whataboutery. Did you see the thread title?

Have you a comment on the potentially fraudulent expense claims by Dara Murphy over the last few years? €4,300 per month

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dara-murphy-has-to-explain-expenses-says-fine-gael-minister-1.4103262
    “I haven’t had a chance to meet Dara Murphy, I will today. I will find out what way or how he came to log in for expenses, was it to do with his job as a TD. I’m told his office was open, he was providing a service, he was still doing his job as a TD. But I will meet him and discuss that with him,” Mr English said.

“I do believe he has to explain and he will explain whether the money was put to good use because that expenses is to run your office, run your service and provide a service to the people you represent which I believe he was still doing.”
    English said: “Dara Murphy has to explain why he feels he’s entitled to keep the expenses.”

A party riddled with corrupt self serving TDs.

Murphy isn't fraudulent. For that to be the case the government would need working real life restrictions that Murphy didn't follow. Murphy, like Kenny is gaming the system. It's all nice and above board like. Going on for years and every one in FG knows about it. Dishonorable and lacking ethics, but not illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just listening to the radio now. This is the same knut that called the gardai for a lift to the airport, having refused a taxi. I'd completely forgotten this one. Lower than dogshyte on a shoe.

Advertisement