Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Murphy TD gorging at the trough?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Some cheek of Leo to be coming out saying 'I'll have a word with him' as if this scandal was news to him. Murphy spent his time in Brussels as a campaign manager for the European Peoples Party of which FG are a member. He didnt just wander over there and take that position without FG HQ knowing about it. Pretty two faced of Leo knowing full well that a TD in his party was double jobbing and then when he is caught to act like he didnt know what was going on at all.

Also notable that you dont hear TDs calling for the one time entry fob system to be replaced with a clock in clock out system. With CCTV and fingerprint recognition bolted on too because they are just not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Some cheek of Leo to be coming out saying 'I'll have a word with him' as if this scandal was news to him. Murphy spent his time in Brussels as a campaign manager for the European Peoples Party of which FG are a member. He didnt just wander over there and take that position without FG HQ knowing about it. Pretty two faced of Leo knowing full well that a TD in his party was double jobbing and then when he is caught to act like he didnt know what was going on at all.

Also notable that you dont hear TDs calling for the one time entry fob system to be replaced with a clock in clock out system. With CCTV and fingerprint recognition bolted on too because they are just not to be trusted.

This is worth a read..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-compo-culture-shock-as-fine-gael-suffers-backlash-injury-1.4105016

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Good article. The public need to see that Fine Gael are taking the absolute piss. How anyone can vote for these self serving muppets is utterly beyond me.

Dara Murphy is simply laughing at the taxpayer and Leo/Simon condone it.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Muahahaha wrote: »

That would be New Politics and Fine Gael only talk about that. It was all a nonsense.

• Advertisement

Murphy getting a roasting on the Tonight Show.

Leo's inaction too. The whole Dail knows he was double jobbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Accountability to the taxpayer ?

There simply is none.

I don't see the disctinction between social welfare fraud and this case myself. But someone managed to draw the lines. The TD's. Voting for each other in the chambers, not even in the country on a long term basis on an agreed job representing FG interests, rather than the constituents who voted them into public office. Who would be an electorate !

I assume he got the EU job on the basis of his CV, which to my mind is now tainted. Tonight Show claims he will be entitled to half a mill in walking away between pensions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As unacceptable as SW fraud is (and it certainly is), this is an order of magnitude worse. It happened presumably under the nose of the FG parliamentary party and the tacit approval of the Taoiseach. Did it never occur to him to say 'wait a second, where's my TD for Cork North-Central'?

Reminds me of the 'no-show' union jobs in mob movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Seamai wrote: »
    I was only saying the same this morning to a friend, if she got a roasting for her behaviour he deserves to be burnt to a crisp. He lives less than a mile from me and I've not seen him once in the the almost 9 years since he became a TD.

You have to wonder how on earth hes still getting elected. People just dont realise how important it is to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You have to wonder how on earth hes still getting elected. People just dont realise how important it is to vote.

Michael Lowry had the biggest car to answer to the taxpayer yet is returned to of the poll every election.
    Mick Wallace fleeced the vat man for a million quod and more yet has been sent to Europe.
    Not a whisper about Healy rae clocking in early just to make sure to get to a funeral in Kerry. I guess he'll get to of the poll too next election.

So it's all good folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

is_that_so wrote: »
    The rules seem to say he and others can so you change the rules so they can't. Need a good audit of what he claimed.

The terms and conditions in any employment I've been in have always included a clause precluding outside employment that would interfere with my responsibilities to my employer.

If you look at publicjobs.ie the current public service temporary clerical officer position information booklet for candidates has a similar condition

Outside Employment
    The position will be whole time and you may not engage in private practice or be connected with any outside business which would interfere with the performance of official duties.

Yet our politicians see nothing wrong with absenting themselves from their elected position, claiming their full salary, expenses and attendance allowances while being and being paid to do another job elsewhere.

It's about time our politicians, of all political persuasions and nine, held themselves to the same standards as everyone else in the country is held to.

Is it any wonder the turnout in the recent by elections was so low in the face of such systematic and cynical hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/doublejobbing-murphy-cannot-be-investigated-after-his-resignation-38755854.html

Looks like Dara Murphy has made a mug out of Leo. Murphy resigning puts him out of reach of any potential sanctions. Not only did he not represent his voters for two years but he pocketed almost 105,000 euros in expenses in that time. Further more he walks with pension and severance package of 500,000 euro.
    These people are laughing at the electorate.
    Leo is in a spot of bother now as he fully backed Murphy and defended him .
    Begs a question why have a TD for FG in Cork when with Leo's permission he was allowed spend two years working full time in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Leo is fine, this will blow over

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he gamed the system. there's a lot of it about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did Leo really not know what Double jobber Murphy was up to/not up to? If not that makes him incompetent.

Or did he know, but turn a blind eye? If so, that makes him complicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how does he get a severance package, apart form pension entitlements you walk out of a job you get your wages and thats it surely.

great little country

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Welfare cheats cheat us all, am I right.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wibbling wonder

There isn't a hope in hell of any meaningful reform amongst that lot. Massive pensions, golden parachutes if they lose their seat, unvouched expenses and god knows what else.

Would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas thinking they'll stop lining their pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

FG have a nice problem now. Yer man may be out of reach of Dáil procedural accountability but cutting and running to Brussels doesn’t mean he can’t be made to answer. If the post he has gone to needs political sanction from FG they can withdraw it; if it doesn’t they can look at other party based procedures.

But they won’t. Landlords party will just hunker down and think about the electorate: who else can they vote for?

Will the electorate prove the Landlords Party right?

Ahhh. Another FG bashing thread. What a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged and title changed to make it clear who is being discussed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Did Leo really not know what Double jobber Murphy was up to/not up to? If not that makes him incompetent.

Or did he know, but turn a blind eye? If so, that makes him complicit.

According to the articles I've read, linked elsewhere on boards, (Times and Independent) Leo most certainly did know. It's apparently been an 'open secret' so to speak, for the past two years.

I genuinely wonder have these people - the likes of Dara Murphy - have no moral compass whatsoever. Did he (and those who turned a blind eye) really not think there was anything wrong with what he was doing? It's a sad reflection on the government, in my opinion, if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Do you think FG as a party handled this correctly over the past two years up to and including Tuesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Feel free to chip in and counter anything in the thread, anytime you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Varadkar stood up in the Dail and said Murphy would cooperate fully with any enquiry seeking to investigate him and holding him to account, knowing full well that as an ex TD, no Dail committee can hold him to account. It’s dishonest, cynical politics from the prince of spin Varadkar yet again. He has become an electorate liability to his party.
    Interesting that the past three FG leaders have been such poor leaders their images were rarely used on election posters.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Varadkar stood up in the Dail and said Murphy would cooperate fully with any enquiry seeking to investigate him and holding him to account, knowing full well that as an ex TD, no Dail committee can hold him to account. It’s dishonest, cynical politics from the prince of spin Varadkar yet again. He has become an electorate liability to his party.
    Interesting that the past three FG leaders have been such poor leaders their images were rarely used on election posters.

Leo would say that he didn't know Murphy was going to resign. I wouldn't believe this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know if Murphy's resignation will trigger another by-election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

This is why I don’t vote in General Elections and only vote in Referenda.

Too many useless eaters in the Dail (do we really need so many TDS) and in the Seanad (should have been abolished).

Worse still. Useless eaters with huge egos and little talent.

But go ahead and keep voting for them sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Kareem Obedient Wool

Just listening to the radio now. This is the same knut that called the gardai for a lift to the airport, having refused a taxi. I'd completely forgotten this one. Lower than dogshyte on a shoe.

Wasn’t he the one when he was the mayor of cork he got his wife a lord mayoress job as well ....she used to pop up in every photo opp he was in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wasn’t he the one when he was the mayor of cork he got his wife a lord mayoress job as well ....she used to pop up in every photo opp he was in

The original Shane Ross :):):)

Advertisement