Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Murphy TD gorging at the trough?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Wasn’t he the one when he was the mayor of cork he got his wife a lord mayoress job as well ....she used to pop up in every photo opp he was in

Yeah, she was being sponsored by some peroxide company.

Anyone know if Murphy's resignation will trigger another by-election?

We're be told not as it's too close to a general election, so we here in CNC have three TD's and not four until then (not that Murphy was active on the ground). Goin back quite a while he was involved in some european capacity which which meant he was back and forth to Europe quite a lot, that's not what people in this constituency elected him for (well I personally did not vote for him), as far as I'm concerned that a job for an MEP, NOT a TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Yurt! wrote: »
    To my mind, that's out and out fraud. AGS should be involved. How many dole cheats add up to a single Dara Murphy? Anyone care to do the sums? A TD's salary plus tax free expenses and he hasn't been doing the job in years.

I'm not typically one for outrage, but this guy's head should be on a metaphorical pike.

In my humble opinion, it doesn't really matter whether Murphy was the best TD in the Dáil or a complete waster like so many of them are; the cost to the taxpayer would have been exactly the same!

In addition he'll save the taxpayers some money by quitting, because his seat will be empty for the next few months, so no-one will be drawing a salary or expenses! So by resigning, Dara the European Statesman, will save us all a few bob!

His constituents are entitled to be a bit put out if his inaction has caused them any actual damage or financial loss, but other than that, this is just another example of people getting wound up about not very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Did Leo really not know what Double jobber Murphy was up to/not up to? If not that makes him incompetent.

Or did he know, but turn a blind eye? If so, that makes him complicit.

He knew full well. It was a running joke in the Dail.
    Ahhh. Another FG bashing thread. What a surprise.

If they keep supplying the moles they will get a whacked.
    You know they are in government right? You go on and start a PBP thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Seamai wrote: »
    We're be told not as it's too close to a general election, so we here in CNC have three TD's and not four until then (not that Murphy was active on the ground). Goin back quite a while he was involved in some european capacity which which meant he was back and forth to Europe quite a lot, that's not what people in this constituency elected him for (well I personally did not vote for him), as far as I'm concerned that a job for an MEP, NOT a TD.

Not forgetting of course that Munster voters had the sensational Brian Crowley MEP acting in their best interests in the European Parliament for the past twenty years or more!

Maybe Dara was selflessly helping to carry out Crowley's workload in Brussels! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He knew full well. It was a running joke in the Dail.

If they keep supplying the moles they will get a whacked.
    You know they are in government right? You go on and start a PBP thread ;)

Yes, we have a few posters not suited to more than whack-a-mole.

God forbid they should attempt to debate policy and provide links to back up policy arguments.

Feel free to chip in and counter anything in the thread, anytime you feel like it.

You’re grand. I’m enjoying the faux outrage. Anyway, work calls. Have to keep the hard earned roof over my head for another while.

You’re grand. I’m enjoying the faux outrage. Anyway, work calls. Have to keep the hard earned roof over my head for another while.

Why would it be faux? You're just here to throw a spanner in. Plenty in FG ;)
    If you're cool with Leo allowing FG TD'S game the tax payer good on you.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, we have a few posters not suited to more than whack-a-mole.

God forbid they should attempt to debate policy and provide links to back up policy arguments.

The irony Blanch. Do you not see the irony?
    For the love of god look at the Irony! :rolleyes:

We are discussing Dara Murphy and what he did. Yourself and maryanne are the ones trying to divert and get off the topic.

Murphy did the minimum to claim wages and expenses for two years and Leo knew all about it. Discuss:
    Likely any opinion you may have will not make it's way here.

171170 wrote: »
    Not forgetting of course that Munster voters had the sensational Brian Crowley MEP acting in their best interests in the European Parliament for the past twenty years or more!

Maybe Dara was selflessly helping to carry out Crowley's workload in Brussels! :D

We're blessed down here with the caliber of public representative he have, NOT!

I didn't vote for either of the f*ckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭nagel

In the examiner today
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dara-murphy-entitled-to-over-500k-after-resignation-968563.html

I now realise what the TD's mean when they talk about the ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,781 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasn’t he the one when he was the mayor of cork he got his wife a lord mayoress job as well ....she used to pop up in every photo opp he was in

I believe so, shady gangsta from the get go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1205/1097212-dara-murphy-politics/
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said former Fine Gael TD for Cork North Central Dara Murphy should pay back expenses he claimed if it is found that he broke the rules.

Speaking in Dublin Castle, Mr Varadkar said the Clerk of the Dáil could carry out an investigation into Mr Murphy who resigned as a TD yesterday.

Mr Varadkar said he agrees an investigation should be carried out.

Should be? Order it Leo FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds pointless though, as - just with the ridiculously generous package - what he did is within the rules as I understand it.

The fact that these rules are written and modified by those who benefit from them is a different matter.

Seems like Leo trying to spin attention elsewhere by calling for an investigation that:

a) will never happen, or the results never published
    b) will find that no rules were broken

Anything else would likely implicate far more than Dara.

Like everything else, it's grand though - it's only taxpayer's money!

Tomorrow's challenge for Leo: Which side to pit against another to distract from this latest outrage? Place your bets now on Welfare vs employed, public vs private, Dublin vs the country.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So the only record of TD's clocking in is that they clocked in on that particular day. No record or time in or out. Bit of a joke....

dinneenp wrote: »
    So the only record of TD's clocking in is that they clocked in on that particular day. No record or time in or out. Bit of a joke....

I have a feeling that Leo will be heaving a sigh of relief that this already seems to be getting sidelined by the FAI imploding.

As bad as that particular story is as well, it's a triviality compared to what this one represents - an institutional sense of entitlement across the aisle to taxpayer's money with only the flimsiest notion of justification, accountability or audit trail.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Leo will be heaving a sigh of relief that this already seems to be getting sidelined by the FAI imploding.

As bad as that particular story is as well, it's a triviality compared to what this one represents - an institutional sense of entitlement across the aisle to taxpayer's money with only the flimsiest notion of justification, accountability or audit trail.

I would suggest everyone in the Dail knew the FAI was red rotten for at least 10 years. Delaney has always been a crook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seeing as it now appears that D.M could only be working for the EPP with approval from senior members of FG, and according to reports he was being paid €10k per month from the EPP, on top of his FG TD salary (and expenses)

Can FG be forced to repay the money taxpayers paid Murphy for the job he was being paid (but wasn't doing) on top of his EPP payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I would suggest everyone in the Dail knew the FAI was red rotten for at least 10 years. Delaney has always been a crook.

He sorted them with tickets though, so he was grand.

• Advertisement

capefear wrote: »

The ridiculous amount of taxpayer's money TD's are able to claim from the system they setup and administer for themselves is ridiculous. No wonder you see stuff like this when they are elected...

... It's like winning the Lotto!

Leo was partly right.. We're being cheated alright, but welfare scams are the least of our problems.

So is this gombeen TD going to get clean away with it? Another one?

Are Leo and Simon&Simon running this country or are they standing idly by?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

The John Delaney / FAI scandal is coming to light at a very convenient time for Dara.

The John Delaney / FAI scandal is coming to light at a very convenient time for Dara.

Correct. They are both crooks and should pay back a lot of their unearned monies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Two chancers and these revelations will only encourage more cute hoorism as John and Dara will face no sanction or repercussions. They knew the public they were dealing with very well indeed.

Best little country in the world to be a corrupt, cheating, lazy hoor in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The ridiculous amount of taxpayer's money TD's are able to claim from the system they setup and administer for themselves is ridiculous.

It's like putting a load of 6-year olds in charge of a sweetshop.

We need to get rid of the allowances and have a basic TD salary - I'm fine with this being reasonably generous - I think generous pay prevents corruption or at least minimises it.

The other issue is the number of representatives. India has 545 members of parliament in a country of 1.35 billion. At that level of representation we should have less than 2 TDs. Why do we need 160 TDs at the trough?

Lads like Dara double job would scoff at any notion it's only 3rd I reckon.

Also, you've posted the same link over various threads multiple times, is that = to spamming?

• Advertisement

And in your world that makes fraud acceptable?

Advertisement