Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Murphy TD gorging at the trough?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

And in your world that makes fraud acceptable?

Nevermind about Dara's fully sanctioned and authorized skulduggery...

Look at this >>>

And in your world that makes fraud acceptable?

If you have proof of fraud, take it to the Gardai. In every job there are chancers and those who work the system. This is no different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If you have proof of fraud, take it to the Gardai. In every job there are chancers and those who work the system. This is no different.

Wow those blinkers are so good. Actually you don't wear blinkers anymore, you are blindfolded.

You think Murphy and Delaney should not suffer any consequences for their actions?

Wow those blinkers are so good. Actually you don't wear blinkers anymore, you are blindfolded.

You think Murphy and Delaney should not suffer any consequences for their actions?

Of course anyone guilty of wrongdoing should suffer the consequences. Again, I suggest that you forward your proof to the Gardai.

• Advertisement

That’s HER opinion. She’s entitled to it. Same as you and I. It’s based on her political leanings. Same as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That’s HER opinion. She’s entitled to it. Same as you and I. It’s based on her political leanings. Same as us.

She also offered hard figures to back up her piece. Maybe deal with the figures she referenced instead of the tactic of attacking the player instead of the ball.
    Puts the report you have been spamming on several threads into perspective though.
    23 per cent of the workforce on lowpay , only Lativa and Romania with higher figures. Most expensive country of the 28 EU countries to run a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You have put that up here twice.

She quotes from Tasc - a body with Mike Jennings, Frank Ross, David Begg and other trade union luminaries on its board.

She then references Social Justice Ireland - Sean Healy's organisation - as further support.

Will all due respect to her, those are not independent bodies and every single publication has a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

As one of his constituents, I think it's a good thing that he's been so absent. He's so useless, we're actually better off without him there even though it means we've been short a TD for our area.

He certainly won't be missed.

I'll never forget his performance on Vincent Browne trying to explain the difference between GDP and GNP (Hint: he completely fcuked up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEcUBXI4ZX8

I would have thought that the yearning for his economics degree (handed to him on a plate by UCC when compared to rules applied to most students) would have meant he could give any current affairs presenter a run for their money....
    Maybe he needed the degree for his big job ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yurt! wrote: »
    To my mind, that's out and out fraud. AGS should be involved. How many dole cheats add up to a single Dara Murphy? Anyone care to do the sums? A TD's salary plus tax free expenses and he hasn't been doing the job in years.

I'm not typically one for outrage, but this guy's head should be on a metaphorical pike.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/12/long-lunch-spanish-civil-servant-skips-work-for-years-without-anyone-noticing

Is this not reasonably similar? The electorate gave him his mandate. He, without superior sanction, abused that in a calculated fashion.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    You have put that up here twice.

She quotes from Tasc - a body with Mike Jennings, Frank Ross, David Begg and other trade union luminaries on its board.

She then references Social Justice Ireland - Sean Healy's organisation - as further support.

Will all due respect to her, those are not independent bodies and every single publication has a twist.

No I have put it up on this thread once. I also put it up on another thread to counter an article that has been 'spammed' over several threads. Funny you have no issue with that article. I still note you don't examine Collette's figures you just dismiss the source.

Despite the bluster of Leo ( although I suspect it was an act) and the same of several other FG ministers looks like Murphy will not have to answer for his expenses and double jobbing, the same double jobbing done with the full knowledge of Leo and co. Journal link below.

Dáil clerk has 'no jurisdiction' to investigate Dara Murphy complaints https://jrnl.ie/4924628

She also offered hard figures to back up her piece. Maybe deal with the figures she referenced instead of the tactic of attacking the player instead of the ball.
    Puts the report you have been spamming on several threads into perspective though.
    23 per cent of the workforce on lowpay , only Lativa and Romania with higher figures. Most expensive country of the 28 EU countries to run a home.

That one figure just shows the poverty of her argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_minimum_wage

The minimum wage in Latvia is €2.48 per hour. In Lithuania it is €3.72. Only France and Luxembourg have higher EU minimum wages than Ireland.

Let's look at average wages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

On a net PPP basis, which takes account of taxes and cost of living, Ireland is doing remarkably well. We are 9th, with the likes of Luxembourg, Switzerland, Norway and San Marino ahead of us for obvious reasons, and only Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands of other EU countries just ahead of us.

What does this mean? Firstly, it shows up the nonsense pontificated by the likes of TASC and Social Justice Ireland who are only looking at relative poverty within Ireland. On any comparative basis with other EU countries, we are very well off, and that includes those identified as being below the poverty line.

blanch152 wrote: »
    That one figure just shows the poverty of her argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_minimum_wage

The minimum wage in Latvia is €2.48 per hour. In Lithuania it is €3.72. Only France and Luxembourg have higher EU minimum wages than Ireland.

Let's look at average wages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

On a net PPP basis, which takes account of taxes and cost of living, Ireland is doing remarkably well. We are 9th, with the likes of Luxembourg, Switzerland, Norway and San Marino ahead of us for obvious reasons, and only Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands of other EU countries just ahead of us.

What does this mean? Firstly, it shows up the nonsense pontificated by the likes of TASC and Social Justice Ireland who are only looking at relative poverty within Ireland. On any comparative basis with other EU countries, we are very well off, and that includes those identified as being below the poverty line.

Average wage means absolutely nothing as high earners cause distortion of the figures.

Average wage means absolutely nothing as high earners causes distortion.

Ok, median income.

https://www.finfacts-blog.com/2019/04/irish-median-income-at-13th-in-europe.html

13th out of 31, 7.8% above the average. Slightly worse performance, but still showing the nonsense put forward by the poverty industry. Ireland is a good place to live, with those in work enjoying above average income by EU standards and those on social welfare enjoying well above average income by EU standards.

Them's the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Of course anyone guilty of wrongdoing should suffer the consequences. Again, I suggest that you forward your proof to the Gardai.
    theres wrong doing and theres illegality, what some has done might not be illegal doesn't mean it isn't wrong and need to address at some level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Murphy was a chancer who gamed the system. If you want to whinge about Margret Cash, you should be just as upset, if not more so about Murphy. If you are in any way genuine.
    Murphy was employed to represent people and by all accounts he was busy over in Europe, but not too busy to miss clocking in or claiming expenses.

I'm sure that you will point them in the right direction.

Nah Mary why would I? happy to see FG flail about. I wouldn't have allowed the situation in the first place, (You don't get away with that crap in private business) as Leo shouldn't have allowed it to continue. Also FG party of government for the last eight years ,only now they want to tackle the expenses regime. Horse and gate spring to mind.

• Advertisement

What's your own thoughts on Dara Murphys antics, seeing as it's extremely unlikely Leo didn't know full well what he was up to Maryanne?

Complete chancers themselves. It's about the road not the destination. They want to be seen to be outraged and looking at it. It's common knowledge it was let happen and also known nothing can be done. He got the money legally and that's it.
    A party of chislers trying to keep the pretense of law and order party. Hilarious if it wasn't our money.

Complete chancers themselves. It's about the road not the destination. They want to be seen to be outraged and looking at it. It's common knowledge it was let happen and also known nothing can be done. He got the money legally and that's it.
    A party of chislers trying to keep the pretense of law and order party. Hilarious if it wasn't our money.

Legal and moral are not mutually exclusive. Although I guess i'm being naive to expect a politician to have morals and do the right thing. Murphy if he had sense of decency would pay back a substantial amount of money he took from the taxpayer if only for optics and to save his former friends more embrassement.

You'll find the wrongdoing is in the newspapers

https://www.thejournal.ie/dara-murphy-expenses-simon-harris-4924166-Dec2019/
    Simon Harris says former TD Dara Murphy should pay back some of his expenses

What has your party Fine Gael done about reclaiming these expenses?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dara-murphy-eligible-for-24k-council-gratuity-969488.html

A very large 2 fingers to the taxpayer.
    Former Fine Gael TD Dara Murphy has been entitled to a €24,000 gratuity since last week, relating to his time as a Cork City councillor.

This is in addition to his €500,000 severance and pension package from his time in the Oireachtas, which has kicked in since his resignation as a member of Dáil Éireann last week.

The revelation comes as Health Minister Simon Harris raised the prospect of Mr Murphy’s expenses being audited and called on his former colleague to pay back some of the expenses he claimed since 2017, when his lack of attendance was criticised.

What's your own thoughts on Dara Murphys antics, seeing as it's extremely unlikely Leo didn't know full well what he was up to Maryanne?

I think that his expenses should be paid back. I also think that expenses should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

This is a genuine question.

Is it a case he didn’t technically do anything illegal except that he took the piss?

Is it a case he didn’t technically do anything illegal except that he took the piss?

Taking the piss? He took almost 300k for not representing the people that voted for him. It's ok its only taxpayers money and we all know how free and easy with our money FG are.

Depends on your definition.
    What do you call turning up just to clock in and claim salary plus expenses, neglecting the people elected you while double jobbing in Europe and your party being fully aware for years yet taking no action? All tax payer money mind. Being a bit of a card?

I wonder are they chasing Enda too? Unlikely.

• Advertisement

I think that his expenses should be paid back. I also think that expenses should be scrapped.

Thanks for that, but I would be of the opinion that it runs a little deeper than just expenses.

Advertisement