Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Murphy TD gorging at the trough?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Thanks that’s what I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Thanks that’s what I thought.

Any thoughts on Murphy's behaviour for the two years? Or is it ok with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Depends on your definition.
    What do you call turning up just to clock in and claim salary plus expenses, neglecting the people elected you while double jobbing in Europe and your party being fully aware for years yet taking no action? All tax payer money mind. Being a bit of a card?

I wonder are they chasing Enda too? Unlikely.

I don’t think anyone approves of someone being elected to a parliament, claiming salary and expenses, but not turning up to vote. Do you approve of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dara has been reported to the ethics committee.

This being the same ethics committee that another FG TD had to resign from chairing because, swing gate and was found to have made thousands of euros of "ineligible" expenses claims which she had to return.

There's a very distinct pattern emerging of FG party members being caught up in scandals involving obtaining cash, via expenses or questionable insurance claims.

This being the same ethics committee that another FG TD had to resign from chairing because, swing gate and was found to have made thousands of euros of "ineligible" expenses claims which she had to return.

There's a very distinct pattern emerging of FG party members being caught up in scandals involving obtaining cash, via expenses or questionable insurance claims.

What exactly would you be happy with? A public caning?

• Advertisement

What exactly would you be happy with? A public caning?

See below.

Seeing as it now appears that D.M could only be working for the EPP with approval from senior members of FG, and according to reports he was being paid €10k per month from the EPP, on top of his FG TD salary (and expenses)

Can FG be forced to repay the money taxpayers paid Murphy for the job he was being paid (but wasn't doing) on top of his EPP payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's the Bertie Ahern defense, he didn't do anything illegal and as he's one of ours, nothing to see here. Two cheeks of the same arse indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

It would seem, based on their actions, that FG stands or Fraud and Greed.

ABFG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

He has the lowest attendance record of all 158 TDs.

However, Mr Murphy has been recorded as being present in Leinster House on 55 non-sitting days – among the highest of all TDs.

Most of these days have been Mondays and Fridays, when he was en route to, or returning from, Brussels or other European cities. The 55 days includes 12 days in August.

Does anyone believe that Dara drove from Cork into Dublin City Centre to 'fob' in and then continued to the airport for his Brussels flight?
    Does anyone believe that Dara drove from the Airport into Dublin City Centre to 'fob' in before going home to Cork?

Anyone? Even amongst the Fine Gael diehards?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Does anyone believe that Dara drove from Cork into Dublin City Centre to 'fob' in and then continued to the airport for his Brussels flight?
    Does anyone believe that Dara drove from the Airport into Dublin City Centre to 'fob' in before going home to Cork?

Anyone? Even amongst the Fine Gael diehards?

My guess and I wouldn't say he's alone, is there's some junior aide tasked with that sorta thing.

After all, if they can brazenly vote for others in the chamber, that's a triviality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Leo Varadkar on Radio1 now trying to deflect from Dara Murphy and Verona Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

zell12 wrote: »

By talking about the great work Eoghan Murphy is doing?:P

I wonder if they had Slab Murphy running for them would be be doing any more damage to the party brand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    My guess and I wouldn't say he's alone, is there's some junior aide tasked with that sorta thing.

After all, if they can brazenly vote for others in the chamber, that's a triviality.

Thats the crux of it, Healy Rae caught at the same thing, fobbed in Dublin while at a funeral in Kerry. I would imagine it is widespread, its why it should be by fingerprint only and they should have to clock in and clock out. That would put an end to their chicanery once and for all. Its also noticeable that none of them are calling for reform of a system that clearly is being abused.

zell12 wrote: »

I felt Leo has checked out. His fight/interest is waning.
    I actually think he might leave politics within the next few years.

Looks like there is more to the story of the young boy with the orange, just like there was more to the story of Margaret Cash and more to the story of Jonathon Corrie.

As you yourself have pointed to, Fine Gael is the party most trusted by the electorate, so maybe you should take a lead from them and put some trust in the Taoiseach.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Looks like there is more to the story of the young boy with the orange, just like there was more to the story of Margaret Cash and more to the story of Jonathon Corrie.

As you yourself have pointed to, Fine Gael is the party most trusted by the electorate, so maybe you should take a lead from them and put some trust in the Taoiseach.

What about the greens.

Bastard's voting no confidence in the housing minister. :mad:

blanch152 wrote: »

I never said FG is the most trusted party by the electorate so please do not attribute your lies to me. What I have said is the electorate does not trust either FF or FG to govern on their own.
    On another note seriously for an individual that claims they are a Green supporter you spend an inordinate amount of time shilling for FG and noticeable by your absence on the climate change threads I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Varadkar is acting like he is not leader of the party that Dara Murphy is a member of

I never said FG is the most trusted party by the electorate so please do not attribute your lies to me. What I have said is the electorate does not trust either FF or FG to govern on their own.
    On another note seriously for an individual that claims they are a Green supporter you spend an inordinate amount of time shilling for FG and noticeable by your absence on the climate change threads I follow.

You conclude that the electorate do not trust FG or FF to govern on their own because they don't give them an overall majority. I accept that.

However, I also notice that the electorate gave FG the highest vote in the last election and FF the second highest vote. By your criteria, and they are yours, not mine, the only logical conclusion is that the electorate trust FG more than they trust other parties, because they give them more votes.

So when I say that you have concluded that the electorate trust FG the most, that is the logical truth. Not my problem that you didn't think out your original comment to its logical conclusion.

As for the shilling remark, didn't really expect any better from you, but I just call it as I see it. This place is full of angry little people who rant and rave about the government, but are full of illogical conclusions and mad unworkable ideas. I enjoy pointing that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I wonder are they chasing Enda too? Unlikely.

Don't forget Michael Noonan, he's still a TD. Dara Murphy had the lowest attendance record in the Dail but could still claim the allowances. Noonan and Kenny must be clocking in enough times to do the same.

Noonan has even been eligible for a ministerial pension on top of the TD cash for a few years now.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/noonan-set-to-get-2000-a-week-pension-154458.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Varadkar is acting like he is not leader of the party that Dara Murphy is a member of
    Nothing to defend about this individual but there seems to be no set of rules either internally in FG or within the Houses of the Oireachtas to deal with this. It's a real GUBU!

nc6000 wrote: »
    Don't forget Michael Noonan, he's still a TD. Dara Murphy had the lowest attendance record in the Dail but could still claim the allowances. Noonan and Kenny must be clocking in enough times to do the same.

Noonan has even been eligible for a ministerial pension on top of the TD cash for a few years now.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/noonan-set-to-get-2000-a-week-pension-154458.html

Always amazed me that the people of Limerick could vote for that odious creature after the manner in which he behaved during the Hep C scandal.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blood-scandal-tv-drama-puts-noonan-on-defensive-26061489.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/noonan-has-long-way-to-go-in-assuaging-doubts-over-brigid-mccole-case-1.279406

nc6000 wrote: »

Oh I'm not. I expect revelations about Noonan to come out. I would not be at all surprised if the words 'fraud' and 'gross negligence' pop up either.
    To be clear, I think he's rotten and there is a lot more to be revealed, likely criminal too IMO, or what passes for criminally 'inappropriate behaviour'.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Nothing to defend about this individual but there seems to be no set of rules either internally in FG or within the Houses of the Oireachtas to deal with this. It's a real GUBU!

Varadkar is not being truthful if he is trying to claim he knew nothing about Murphy. He seems smart enough to dodge that while talking on what can be done. It's disgusting how he's trying to give the illusion that had only he known..something something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I sometimes wonder when a member of the media will google Fianna Fail's Justice Spokesman - big Jimbo O'Callaghan SC - see how often he was appearing in the High Court while the Dáil was in session and then check whether he claimed Dail attendance money for such days.

Oddly enough, while affecting to be shocked and appalled by his fellow Corkonian's misconduct, Meehawl Martin hasn't ever said a word about his Party's learned Justice Spokesman's double jobbing! So perhaps there's nothing to worry about!

Varadkar is not being truthful if he is trying to claim he knew nothing about Murphy. He seems smart enough to dodge that while talking on what can be done. It's disgusting how he's trying to give the illusion that had only he known..something something.
    The bits I've heard him say is that he was aware but powerless to an extent as the chap wasn't breaking any known rules.

The bits I've heard him say is that he was aware but powerless to an extent as the chap wasn't breaking any known rules.

He wasn't, but as party leader he could have told him to step down, asked him to pick a job, looked at his expenses, told him not to sign in if working in Europe etc. etc.

He wasn't, but as party leader he could have replaced him, asked him to pick a job, looked at his expenses, told him not to sign in if working in Europe etc. etc.
    Given that nobody can lay a finger on him for any form of investigation I'd say most of this is moot. Expenses are the purview of the House itself not individual parties. He fobbed in and out enough for expenses so those rules need to change.

Given that nobody can lay a finger on him for any form of investigation I'd say most of this is moot. Expenses are the purview of the House itself not individual parties. He fobbed in and out enough for expenses so those rules need to change.

Pointless now yet for optics Leo Varadkar persists, therefore he is a chancer who did nothing when he could have. That's my point.

• Advertisement

Ah now...it's highly probable that someone fobbed in for him when he was on the M50 on the way to Dublin airport from Cork. He hardly went into Leinster House on Monday mornings to admire the artwork.

Advertisement