Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Murphy TD gorging at the trough?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Ah now...it's highly probable that someone fobbed in for him when he was on the M50 on the way to Dublin airport from Cork. He hardly went into Leinster House on Monday mornings to admire the artwork.

I'd hazard a guess that he wasn't the only one! Hence I suspect that there's no real desire in quite a few TD's offices for a thorough investigation to be commenced.

The only TDs clamouring for it are the ones with a clear conscience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Once these people get elected to the Dail, they hop onboard the gravy train and dont give a flying F*** about the people that voted for them.

Td's are grossly overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Dara Murphy sues Irish Mail over ‘double jobbing’ claim https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dara-murphy-sues-irish-mail-over-double-jobbing-claim-hllktlq75

don't have copy of article to see how exactly the worded it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am starting to wonder what TDs actually achieve in between elections. Most of them don't seem to do much of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I am starting to wonder what TDs actually achieve in between elections. Most of them don't seem to do much of anything.

Make up the numbers at funerals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The protocols around this badly need to change. If Noonan Kenny are grazing in the back field while picking up a TDs salary, the aught to be forced to resign from their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I can't wait for the election and the knock on the door from the FG canvassers.

Fair question would be if I vote for a FG candidate and they get elected how do I know they'll turn up in the Dáil other than to check in so they maximise the cash they get?

nc6000 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the election and the knock on the door from the FG canvassers.

Fair question would be if I vote for a FG candidate and they get elected how do I know they'll turn up in the Dáil other than to check in so they maximise the cash they get?

Canvassers of all parties should be asked this.

Canvassers of all parties should be asked this.

Who else from what other party/independent was taking the proverbial like Dara double job Murphy may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who else from what other party/independent was taking the proverbial like Dara double job Murphy may I ask?

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/members/registerOfMembersInterests/dail/2019/2019-02-13_register-of-members-interests-dail-eireann_en.pdf

Have a look at the Register of Members Interests and you will see that quite a few of them have other jobs, quite a few more have company directorships.

I am not sure how much you can trust it for a full account of interests though. Mick Wallace is listed as having zero interests, yet we have heard in court recently about the properties he still owns. I am sure there are others who have less than a full declaration.

• Advertisement

Any one who had someone else vote while they, themselves were elsewhere. https://www.newstalk.com/news/almost-half-tds-surveyed-newstalk-admit-voting-behalf-another-td-916919

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Any one who had someone else vote while they, themselves were elsewhere. https://www.newstalk.com/news/almost-half-tds-surveyed-newstalk-admit-voting-behalf-another-td-916919

Also reprehensible but not the same as the question posed tbh.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/members/registerOfMembersInterests/dail/2019/2019-02-13_register-of-members-interests-dail-eireann_en.pdf

Have a look at the Register of Members Interests and you will see that quite a few of them have other jobs, quite a few more have company directorships.

I am not sure how much you can trust it for a full account of interests though. Mick Wallace is listed as having zero interests, yet we have heard in court recently about the properties he still owns. I am sure there are others who have less than a full declaration.

I never asked who had other jobs/directorships, I asked who else was taking the proverbial (that's a polite way of saying ripping the piss)

You're answering a question that was never asked, and besides we have all agreed that the in/out of the chamber is irrelevant, but carry-on with the deflection attempt anyway, I expected little else.

I never asked who had other jobs/directorships, I asked who else was taking the proverbial (that's a polite way of saying ripping the piss)

You're answering a question that was never asked, and besides we have all agreed that the in/out of the chamber is irrelevant, but carry-on with the deflection attempt anyway, I expected little else.

Quite a few actually when you read the list.

Even though they have stopped Oireachtas members from claiming Oireachtas pensions, there is one TD claiming a pension from the Northern Assembly, another claiming a pension as a teacher, and a third claiming a private pension, all while still a TD. Cross-party by the way.

There are the Healy-Raes with their numerous businesses, there is the FF hotelier in Glendalough, barristers all over the place, just have a read.

What is left out is also interesting, most don't even list their own home. Of the party leaders, only Varadkar appears to be able to own his own home, neither Martin, McDonald, Howlin or Ryan list theirs.

Also reprehensible but not the same as the question posed tbh.

Absolutely. But it DOES show that there are issues across the board and not just the hated FG.

Absolutely. But it DOES show that there are issues across the board and not just the hated FG.

So what issue is similar to the behaviour of Dara Murphy?
    The people of his consistency had no TD respresenting them despite voting for him to do so in the Dail.

Just found this, so Murphy did have an impact on the bye election for FG's candidate according to the candidate himself.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dara-murphy-controversy-had-impact-on-byelection-says-burke-968513.html

The people of his consistency had no TD respresenting them despite voting for him to do so in the Dail.

That applies to anyone who lists another job on the Members' Interests.

When Gerry Adams the author is off writing somewhere, who is looking after the people of his constituency? When Kevin Boxer Moran is managing his company, who is looking after the people of his constituency? And so on and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

When Gerry Adams the author is off writing somewhere, who is looking after the people of his constituency? When Kevin Boxer Moran is managing his company, who is looking after the people of his constituency? And so on and so on.

Are you defending Dara Murphy? It sounds like you are. Are you suggesting the 1 in 4 TD's that are landlords should quit or is your argument 'ah sure loads are at it nothing to see here'?
    All the dishonest whataboutery in the world doesn't excuse what he did and the fact that FG allowed it.
    Murphy had two jobs not even in the same country.
    I know we frown on parish pump politics, but Murphy wasn't even in the country ffs.

• Advertisement

Are you defending Dara Murphy? It sounds like you are. Are you suggesting the 1 in 4 TD's that are landlords should quit or is your argument as sure loads are at it nothing to see here?
    All the dishonest whataboutery in the world doesn't excuse what he did and the fact that FG allowed it.
    Murphy had two jobs not even in the same country.
    I know we from on parish pump politics, but Murphy wasn't even in the country ffs.

I am not excusing anyone, I am just suggesting that the baying mob apply the same rules to everyone.

I am not excusing anyone, I am just suggesting that the baying mob apply the same rules to everyone.

Who says it doesn't? And why are people calling out Murphy a 'baying mob'? Are you suggesting we keep quiet like good boys and girls? Sorry, no.
    You sell it like there's nothing to see here and call those critical a 'baying mob'. Is this the Green Party perspective? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Who says it doesn't? And why are people calling out Murphy a 'baying mob'? Are you suggesting we keep quiet like good boys and girls? Sorry, no.
    You sell it like there's nothing to see here and call those critical a 'baying mob'. Is this the Green Party perspective? I think not.

This whole Green Party persona is getting increasingly closer to " Hit me now with the child in my arms":rolleyes:

charlie14 wrote: »
    This whole Green Party persona is getting increasingly closer to " Hit me now with the child in my arms":rolleyes:

The Green thing is an irrelevance at this stage. We've all our own opinions out there. Well most of us.

Michael Martin missed a fair few days too, it seems. More than Dara Murphy.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dara-murphy-leo-varadkar-4939556-Dec2019/

“ Fianna Fáil Leader Micheál Martin today asked the Taosieach if would be willing to return the money that Fine Gael received to support Murphy in is work as a TD.

In response, Leo Varadkar said:

“I think an impression is being created that we was totally absent from the Dáil for two years – that of course isn’t true. In fact, he was present for more votes in this calendar year than deputy [Micheál] Martin was and the same number as deputy Martin was since the middle of July.””

“ Fianna Fáil Leader Micheál Martin today asked the Taosieach if would be willing to return the money that Fine Gael received to support Murphy in is work as a TD.

“I think an impression is being created that we was totally absent from the Dáil for two years – that of course isn’t true. In fact, he was present for more votes in this calendar year than deputy [Micheál] Martin was and the same number as deputy Martin was since the middle of July.””

TBF, can we trust he was 'there' for votes? By FG logic he might have been on face-time from Brussels telling someone to do him a solid.
    The only people putting FF up as being worth anything are their supply and govern partners in Fine Gael.
    The back and forth is all pre-election show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

TBF, can we trust he was 'there' for votes? By FG logic he might have been on face-time from Brussels telling someone to do him a solid.

Surely you meant "by Matt Barret logic"?

Because, by and large FG and FF both exist in the real world, rather than on Planet Matt - to paraphrase John Gormless.

171170 wrote: »
    Surely you meant "by Matt Barret logic"?

Because, by and large FG and FF both exist in the real world, rather than on Planet Matt - to paraphrase John Gormless.

I'd assumed you'd heard about the folk voting for each other. It was in all the papers.
    Now you go on outside and play the ball not the man.

Your usual deflection and nonsense. What about...what about.

• Advertisement

Again can you answer the question asked?

Advertisement