Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Murphy TD gorging at the trough?

Options

Comments

Again can you answer the question asked?

So, it’s being pointed out that more than one TD hasn’t been pulling their weight. Isn’t that what this thread is about? Or are We to just stick to cutting FG TDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So, it’s being pointed out that more than one TD hasn’t been pulling their weight. Isn’t that what this thread is about? Or are We to just stick to cutting FG TDs?
    The thread is about Dara Murphy not fulfilling his electoral mandate.

Indeed, it is. Just in the interest of fairness and balance, I’ve pointed out that he’s not alone in playing the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Also his double jobbing and claiming expenses. Now we've Varadkar pretending he's not impressed, like he only found out with the rest of us.
    Indeed, it is. Just in the interest of fairness and balance, I’ve pointed out that he’s not alone in playing the system.

In the interest of balance you'd need speak on Murphy first and cite similar behaviour surely?

Really? So can you enlighten me as to which other TD went off to Europe for two years and failed to represent the people who voted for them, but still managed to draw a full Dail wage and full expenses? Just for balance. As an aside most of the days Murphy signed in for to qualify for expenses were non sitting days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Enda Kenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

As an aside most of the days Murphy signed in for to qualify for expenses were non sitting days.

Yet he still managed to vote more often than the leader of the Fianna Fail - the man who is very likely to be the next Taoiseach - something about which you aren't in the least concerned.

Are you mentally challenged or merely a complete hypocrite?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

171170 wrote: »
    Yet he still managed to vote more often than the leader of the Fianna Fail - the man who is very likely to be the next Taoiseach - something about which you aren't in the least concerned.

He did:confused:

Really? So can you enlighten me as to which other TD went off to Europe for two years and failed to represent the people who voted for them, but still managed to draw a full Dail wage and full expenses? Just for balance. As an aside most of the days Murphy signed in for to qualify for expenses were non sitting days.

A touch of the green eyed monster, eh? Did you vote for him, by any chance? There are rotten apples in every job. He’s gone now. You never know, he might just be the perfect person for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A touch of the green eyed monster, eh? Did you vote for him, by any chance? There are rotten apples in every job. He’s gone now. You never know, he might just be the perfect person for the job.

He should have been gone two years ago when he told Varadkar he was taking the Euro gig.
    A gig according to Varadkar he didn`t sanction him to take.
    Didn`t stop him congratulating him on getting it though.

Better to keep him hanging around sucking at the taxpayers teat and give him a shout should you need him in a no confidence vote than give a hoot about him representing his constituents Maryanne ?

I really do not know which of Varadkar or Murphy was worse. A toss of a coin between either.

• Advertisement

Feel free to start a thread about FF if you want comments about that party. To the best of my knowledge though Martin was stil representing the people who voted for him or have you information to the contrary?

You think I would be jealous of someonee claiming a wage for a position they are not fulfilling? Do you assume everyone has the same level as dishonesty as Murphy. I work in the private sector where behaviour like this would end in dismissal.

charlie14 wrote: »
    He should have been gone two years ago when he told Varadkar he was taking the Euro gig.
    A gig according to Varadkar he didn`t sanction him to take.
    Didn`t stop him congratulating him on getting it though.

Better to keep him hanging around sucking at the taxpayers teat and give him a shout should you need him in a no confidence vote than give a hoot about him representing his constituents Maryanne ?

I really do not know which of Varadkar or Murphy was worse. A toss of a coin between either.

All TDs have a team behind them. His constituents weren’t abandoned.

I know that I’m giving my age away here, but back in the day, there was a sitcom called “Yes, Minister”, followed by “Yes, Prime Minister”. It showed a side of political life that just might possibly ring true. No ministers or indeed the Prime Minister had any say in the running of either their department or country! Their civil servants did.

Are you mentally challenged

What a pathetic attack to make. If you have an issue with my comments deal with them, leave out the personal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I sometimes wonder when a member of the media will google Fianna Fail's Justice Spokesman - big Jimbo O'Callaghan SC - see how often he was appearing in the High Court while the Dáil was in session and then check whether he claimed Dail attendance money for such days.

Oddly enough, while affecting to be shocked and appalled by his fellow Corkonian's misconduct, Meehawl Martin hasn't ever said a word about his Party's learned Justice Spokesman's double jobbing! So perhaps there's nothing to worry about!

Not only is Jim O'Callaghan double jobbing as a barrister (and a very busy one at that) he even attacked the principle of parliamentary privilege when he represented Denis o'Brien in a High Court case against the Dail. It was over Catherine Murphy revealing O'Briens dodgy dealings with Siteserve under privledge in the Dail. O'Callaghan definitely has two mouths to speak out of, he enjoys the benefit of Dail privledge in Kildare Street and then he goes up to the Four Courts to argue against it.

I know that I’m giving my age away here, but back in the day, there was a sitcom called “Yes, Minister”, followed by “Yes, Prime Minister”. It showed a side of political life that just might possibly ring true. No ministers or indeed the Prime Minister had any say in the running of either their department or country! Their civil servants did.

Senator Burke (FG) who campaigned in the bye election in Cork believes Murphy's lack of representation had an affect on his vote. I linked the Examiner article earlier.

Senator Burke (FG) who campaigned in the bye election in Cork believes Murphy's lack of representation had an affect on his vote. I linked the Examiner article earlier.

Sour grapes on his part.

Sour grapes on his part.

It was an issue on the doorsteps according to the Senator, are you suggesting he's a liar?

Feel free to start a thread about FF if you want comments about that party. To the best of my knowledge though Martin was stil representing the people who voted for him or have you information to the contrary?

Define "representing the people who voted for him" - feel free to use crayons if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

In the one FF here thread the usual posters started blaming FG and dragging it to their level.

It’s not worth starring a thread for the same to happen by the usual posters.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not only is Jim O'Callaghan double jobbing as a barrister (and a very busy one at that) he even attacked the principle of parliamentary privilege when he represented Denis o'Brien in a High Court case against the Dail. It was over Catherine Murphy revealing O'Briens dodgy dealings with Siteserve under privledge in the Dail. O'Callaghan definitely has two mouths to speak out of, he enjoys the benefit of Dail privledge in Kildare Street and then he goes up to the Four Courts to argue against it.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the tunnel-visioned FG haters on this thread are cerebrally incapable of processing the concept of an opposition politician being guilty of any wrongdoing whatsoever!

Define "representing the people who voted for him" - feel free to use crayons if required.

Ah you're looking for an actionable response. Nice try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Thanks. Unfortunately, the tunnel-visioned FG haters on this thread are cerebrally incapable of processing the concept of an opposition politician being guilty of any wrongdoing whatsoever!

Yep.

It’s sad how their allowed keep it all about one party and PM each other like a tag team to keep it going.

No criticism of any other party.

What a pathetic attack to make. If you have an issue with my comments deal with them, leave out the personal stuff.

Fair enough. I'm happy to conclude that you're merely a hypocrite and are not intellectually challenged.

In the one FF here thread the usual posters started blaming FG and dragging it to their level.

It’s not worth starring a thread for the same to happen by the usual posters.

You mean the thread where a regular defender of FG mentioned Dara Murphy.

So it would be grand and dandy for every politician to get elected and then swan off leaving his office staff to look out for his constituents or would that only apply to FG ?

I can see where you are going with "Yes Prime Minister". This government is getting daily close to a farce as well.

Muahahaha wrote: »

I do not know about you, but if I had a barrister representing me I would want one representing my opinion rather than his own.

Just trying to establish whether there's any intellectual substance at all to be found beneath that thick coating of toxic biliousness. Thus far, there's not much evidence to analyse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Dara gives a middle finger to the Irish tax payers.

Dara Murphy refuses scrutiny of D expenses
    Fine Gael’s former double-jobbing TD, Dara Murphy, is refusing to have his D attendance and expenses records scrutinised by a committee, despite demands by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar for him to do so.

In the wake of the scandal over the former Cork North Central TD working a second job in Brussels, the Government is set to beef up ethics legislation for politicians so ex-TDs can be investigated in future.

Leo going all faux disappointed that Dara won't be cooperative, but surely it's a charade, because Leo knew full well what Dara was at, so it doesn't wash I'm afraid.
    Mr Varadkar said he had tried in recent days to persuade Mr Murphy to put his expenses and D records forward for examination, and he was “annoyed” that the former Fine Gael TD had refused to do so.

One Cabinet minister also told the Irish Examiner the controversy has caused “considerable damage” to Fine Gael and has triggered enormous anger.

Mr Varadkar will now overhaul inquiry regulations for former TDs and the D’s expenses regime.

“The one thing I think we need to do is make sure that we don’t have a repeat of the Dara Murphy affair,” said the Taoiseach. “What can we do about it? First of all, we can amend the Ethics and Public Office Act, so that it does apply to former members of the Oireachtas, not just current members.

• Advertisement

Seems Dara is going to cooperate after all, albeit with an 'independent' inquiry.

Dara Murphy says will co-operate with ‘independent’ inquiry
    Former Fine Gael TD Dara Murphy has said he will co-operate with any Oireachtas inquiry into his attendance record.

“It remains my intention to establish that I have not broken any rules with respect to my attendance or related expenses paid to me during me time as a TD and vice president and campaign director of the EPP (European People’s Party). I believe it will be possible to find an independent person or process to facilitate this ,” he said in a statement on Monday evening.

However don't bank on leo pursuing it too ardently. As I was saying above, about him (Leo) being fully aware of Murphy double jobbing.....
    “Secondly I would like to reiterate and clarify that I have had, from the very beginning of my time in the role of leading the campaign for Europe’s largest political grouping, the full and unqualified support of Fine Gael.

“I am also happy to provide evidence of this to the agreed appropriate body. I will contact the Ceann Comhairle and Clerk of the D to see how best to progress this very early in the new year.”

Another thorn in Leo's side.

Advertisement