Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €3,000 per month luxury welfare apartments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Please tell me who is ? Fg? Ff? Lol

I already made tried to make my points but who do you think are the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The issue isn't that they overpaid, they couldn't buy it and it is almost the most expensive residential space in Ireland
    Well I'd rather have the social housing spread out more evenly than having it all in the same place so it's a necessray evil. The alternative is the elite get to stay miles away from the motorbikes and the quads and the decent folk barely able to afford a mortgage have to carry the burden again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's as plain as the nose on your face that someone in the decision making process for this stands to earn off the back of it. Nobody could know anything about Irish public life and not see that for what it is. The brass balls of it is just par for the course. If anyone from the current government darkens your door and doesn't hear about this you're not doing your duty as a citizen.

It's as plain as the nose on your face that someone in the decision making process for this stands to earn off the back of it. Nobody could know anything about Irish public life and not see that for what it is. The brass balls of it is just par for the course. If anyone from the current government darkens your door and doesn't hear about this you're not doing your duty as a citizen.
    where do you live?

I'm sure if you work out the average cost of social housing in dundrum Vs the cost of social housing in tallaght or coolock dundrum will be cheaper. Maybe not as many people getting housed but still cheaper and you should count your blessing for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

iamtony wrote: »
    Well I'd rather have the social housing spread out more evenly than having it all in the same place so it's a necessray evil. The alternative is the elite get to stay miles away from the motorbikes and the quads and the decent folk barely able to afford a mortgage have to carry the burden again.

Exactly.
    Policy makers are screwed regardless of what decision they make in this situation.

If they spread out social housing so every area gets its fair share, people will shout about social tenants getting houses worth 600k+ in places like D6 or D4, how wasteful this is and how they would get better value for money on cheaper land.

But the cheaper land is in social housing areas and if they build here people will give out about concentrated social housing and the problems that go with it and are still very visible in some areas.

I'm not one of the elite so am in favor of spreading the load throughout all areas, even if it costs more in some to house social tenants. It's the lesser of the two evils. Spread the load, one shouldn't be able to avoid government policy because they earn more.

The invisible pink elephant in the room is why antisocial behavior is tolerated in areas of high social housing concentration. If the regular old law was enforced everywhere, there wouldn't be bad areas.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Policy makers are screwed regardless of what decision they make in this situation.

If they spread out social housing so every area gets its fair share, people will shout about social tenants getting houses worth 600k+ in places like D6 or D4, how wasteful this is and how they would get better value for money on cheaper land.

But the cheaper land is in social housing areas and if they build here people will give out about concentrated social housing and the problems that go with it and are still very visible in some areas.

I'm not one of the elite so am in favor of spreading the load throughout all areas, even if it costs more in some to house social tenants. It's the lesser of the two evils. Spread the load, one shouldn't be able to avoid government policy because they earn more.

The invisible pink elephant in the room is why antisocial behavior is tolerated in areas of high social housing concentration. If the regular old law was enforced everywhere, there wouldn't be bad areas.
    You couldn't have said it better. Lock all the bad ones up and it wouldn't be an issue.
    People who live close by will say it's to do with the cost but the reality is they don't want the social housing on their door step.
    Edit: I don't know how I thumbs down that I didn't mean it and can't change it.

iamtony wrote: »
    where do you live?

The states. The commute to Dublin is killing me.

The states. The commute to Dublin is killing me.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Councils should build small infill developments in all areas, including the "good" ones, built to basic robust spec and not high end luxury and therefore much cheaper. You don't concentrate it then but you don't pay the high end price either.

The funny thing here is that DLR has delivered several similar schemes recently so they know how to do it well. This deal is something else entirely, might well be getting a tribunal in due time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

more new tents is needed for the homeless for the christmas no new appartments for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Exactly.

It is a problem. Only real solution that doesnt involve massive overhaul of the judiciary and the ASBO culture, is segmenting the social housing into the "Dundrums" and the "Ballymuns".

Far stricter regime in the "Dundrum" houses:
    -regular inspections (like every 4 -5 months) to ensure the house is being maintained/all furniture & appliances havent magically "gone" overnight, could even lax this to a once a year thing after a year or two
    -a 2 or 3 strike rule for anti-social behaviour reported by the family in the estate/area
    -if the estate has a volunteer cleaning group (picking up trash, tidying flower beds, painting fences etc) then almost mandatory signup and attendance, your given a nice house in a nice area least could be done is help keep it that way

Break any of these and yer out on your ear to the "Ballymun" houses. People would still shriek at this though, how its "demeaning" or "segregation" or "Ballymun is a nice place" but it gives the majority decent people within the social housing system a chance at a nice house since they dont act the eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Love seeing all the usual suspects frothing at the mouth at this. Only thing sweeter is when I can upgrade from the dutchie cans to a nice whiskey this week when I get the Christmas bonus. Must remember to put a bit of it away for the racing on Stephen's day, too. Thanks worker bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

You sound like a great humanitarian. Why don't you stick your hand in your own pocket(not someone else's) and pay half a mill per apartment to sort them out.

if u do i will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Love seeing all the usual suspects frothing at the mouth at this. Only thing sweeter is when I can upgrade from the dutchie cans to a nice whiskey this week when I get the Christmas bonus. Must remember to put a bit of it away for the racing on Stephen's day, too. Thanks worker bees!

I hope your children can be kept from society and one day they don’t realise that a whole generation did their part except their parent who they used to look up to but now realise everything they thought was bolloks just so their parents could lie on the couch all day.

Imagine having your kids embarrassed for you? I wouldn’t die happy if I did that to my kids.

This is hilarious hahahaha. Thanks worker bees, brilliant hahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Born in Dublin, brought up in Dublin, work in Dublin but wait can I afford to live in Dublin..... FCUK no can I FCUK......

I have to commute 183km a day to get there and home.....

FCUK you absolute a hats in guberment for selling us out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Compare it with the Rosemount scheme in Dundrum, just down the road. Brown site infill, cost the council 11.8mln to build. 44 units, mix of houses and apartments.

https://www.townlink.ie/project/rosemount-court-dundrum-dublin-14-housing-development
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-press-releases/dlr-deliver-44-new-homes-rosemount-dundrum

For the 55mln spent on Herbert Hill to rent 87 units they could build five such schemes to deliver 220 units, and own them.

How was Herbert Hill allowed to happen?

FG can't disown NAMA or the decisions made by Enda Kenny/Noonan to keep house prices high so all they can do is throw money the problem which is what they have done since Kenny stepped down.
    Throw in maniacal media campaigns against FG from the Left and poor decisions such as this are are bound to be made/allowed
    FF are supporting this government and approved the last few budgets.
    The far left would just spend more and tax moderately paid people more to do it without being able to get at the revenues of the Multi-nationals.

So...best intentions all around but no ability to lead to a solution.

FF aren't tied to FG policies(although they are supporting them and budgets don't get implemented without their approval) but they're the ones who got Ireland in its pickle so should never be let any where near the levers of power ever again.

FG can't disown NAMA or the decisions made by Enda Kenny/Noonan to keep house prices high so all they can do is throw money the problem which is what they have done since Kenny stepped down.
    Throw in maniacal media campaigns against FG from the Left and poor decisions such as this are are bound to be made/allowed
    FF are supporting this government and approved the last few budgets.
    The far left would just spend more and tax moderately paid people more to do it without being able to get at the revenues of the Multi-nationals.

So...best intentions all around but no ability to lead to a solution.

FF aren't tied to FG policies(although they are supporting them and budgets don't get implemented without their approval) but they're the ones who got Ireland in its pickle so should never be let any where near the levers of power ever again.
    So, in a way this is everyone's fault EXCEPT Fine Gael! Glad you cleared that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I honestly think ff made less of a balls of things , than fg have ! The pleasure I’m going to get from seeing mr potato head play second fiddle to Mickey Mouse is immense ! Oh there is one thing about this deal that’s good lAds, as the German fund owns it , nobody will be given the property to own for a pittance! No sell offs for massively below market value to tenants !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The exact same as direct provision hotels. Nothing will change until the middle class rock the gates of Leinster House. That day will come yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The exact same as direct provision hotels. Nothing will change until the middle class rock the gates of Leinster House. That day will come yet.

That will never happen. Middle Ireland will never stand up for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

What party actually represent people who work in this country? From what I can see Sinn fein don't, Fianna fail and FG look after the builders & all the left parties look after everyone who wants everything for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

baldbear wrote:
    What party actually represent people who work in this country? From what I can see Sinn fein don't, Fianna fail and FG look after the builders & all the left parties look after everyone who wants everything for free.

All to some degree have policies that affect workers, both negatively and positively, so take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I honestly think ff made less of a balls of things , than fg !

FF bankrupted the country and had to call in the IMF.

Like fcuking Somalia.

People have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

FF bankrupted the country and had to call in the IMF.

'Call in', I'm not so sure about that now! Again, the public books weren't too shabby at the time of the crash, with regular balanced budgets, and the odd surplus, but ff certainly played their part, encouraging a building boom, light touch regulation etc etc, causing a rapid rise in house prices, hence in private debt, and the rest is history..... the country was fine, the global banking system, including Irish banks, not so fine, so we were 'encouraged' to take on this burden by the troika, of which both ff, fg, and a few others, including some left leaning partners, gladly obliged, and here we are now, everything grand, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Born in Dublin, brought up in Dublin, work in Dublin but wait can I afford to live in Dublin..... FCUK no can I FCUK......

I have to commute 183km a day to get there and home.....

FCUK you absolute a hats in guberment for selling us out....

Is this not the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'Call in', I'm not so sure about that now! Again, the public books weren't too shabby at the time of the crash, with regular balanced budgets, and the odd surplus, but ff certainly played their part, encouraging a building boom, light touch regulation etc etc, causing a rapid rise in house prices, hence in private debt, and the rest is history..... the country was fine, the global banking system, including Irish banks, not so fine, so we were 'encouraged' to take on this burden by the troika, of which both ff, fg, and a few others, including some left leaning partners, gladly obliged, and here we are now, everything grand, apparently

The country was not fine. Separate from the banks the deficit due to current expenditure overspending was 17% in 2010.

Not calling in the IMF would have been Planet of the Apes.

The country was brought to it's knees by wreckless spending and busted banks.

If people ever put FF back in charge they deserve all they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wanderer78 wrote: »

That's some revisionism..

FF wholly own the reckless solo run bank guarantee.

That's what resulted in the IMF.

That can never be disowned.

Advertisement