Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The €3,000 per month luxury welfare apartments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

All declared me hoop. I'd hazard a guess there isn't a takeaway driver in the country paying tax. Just checked the other thread and what you said was "12k per year as a PAYE worker 16 hrs per week (very little tax on that), 6k social welfare per annum and about 11k per annum as a take away delivery driver 2 nights a week." Presumably given that you've separated out the 12k as a PAYE worker, and the 11k as a takeaway driver in that sentence it means that you are not, in fact, declaring the additional income.....which of course would additionally mean that you would have to pay bit more rent on your house (if you pay it - many don't).

Typical whataboutery from the ungrateful. So if the rates are "little" in your own personal case it's not your problem........but if it's little for MNCs then that's wrong?

MNCs pay the same 12.5% corporation tax rate as every company in the country so not sure what the problem is? Presumably you're referring to Ireland's active facilitation of tax evasion by MNCs in a complicated accounting practice which requires the connivance of other countries too? Hey, it's immoral and unethical, but if they're going to be siphoning that money through a compliant country anyway, may as well make it Ireland.

You presume wrong. I'm responsible for my own taxes in the take away job which i am fully up to date with. Who said im "ungrateful"?

Thanks for the interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

All declared me hoop. I'd hazard a guess there isn't a takeaway driver in the country paying tax. Just checked the other thread and what you said was "12k per year as a PAYE worker 16 hrs per week (very little tax on that), 6k social welfare per annum and about 11k per annum as a take away delivery driver 2 nights a week." Presumably given that you've separated out the 12k as a PAYE worker, and the 11k as a takeaway driver in that sentence it means that you are not, in fact, declaring the additional income.....which of course would additionally mean that you would have to pay bit more rent on your house (if you pay it - many don't).

Out of curiosity X1111111111, if you're earning & declaring 23k per year, how do you manage to get an additional 6k (26% on top of earnings) from social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Naos wrote: »
    Out of curiosity X1111111111, if you're earning & declaring 23k per year, how do you manage to get an additional 6k (26% on top of earnings) from social welfare?
    Nefarious means, not declaring earnings outside of PAYE earnings IMO

If you want to set up a thread for my tax affairs go ahead but this thread is not about same.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Nefarious means, not declaring earnings outside of PAYE earnings IMO

In your opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In your opinion
    Yes, that's what IMO means.
    It's my hypothesis based on readily available information. If you have data to disprove the hypothesis then please present it otherwise I/we can assume the hypothesis to be true.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, that's what IMO means.
    It's my hypothesis based on readily available information. If you have data to disprove the hypothesis then please present it otherwise I/we can assume the hypothesis to be true.

Assume away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Assume away

It seems a safe assumption

Idbatterim wrote: »

I'm noticing a lot of log cabins in peoples back gardens over the last few years im guessing a lot are being used to house people because of the crisis. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm noticing a lot of log cabins in peoples back gardens over the last few years im guessing a lot are being used to house people because of the crisis. :(

Yeah and the prime culprits in the housing crisis , the councils , won’t legalize them either. Temporary and moveable structures should be permitted for a period of at least five or six years in my opinion. If you aren’t going to provide anything but extortionate housing to many people , at least they could have a roof over their head and save the extortionate deposit ...

• Advertisement

I notice the cabins seem to be big enough to require planning permission so councils are either allowing them or people are just putting them up regardless.

If you want to set up a thread for my tax affairs go ahead but this thread is not about same.

Maybe not, but it does give people some steer as to why you are saying what you're saying and how credible your opinions are.

Example 1) You've stated the majority of people in social housing are employed, yet you have not backed it up with any evidence at all.

Example 2) You state you earn 23k per annum (working 2 days part time PAYE, and 2 nights as a delivery driver) and also receive an additional 6k from the social welfare.

Jobseeker's Benefit for short-time workers:

Number of days worked: 2
    Weekly payment for a single person: €121.80

Meaning your annual payment would be €6,292 which is in line with what you've stated you receive from the social welfare.
    Are you really declaring your two days / €11k working as a delivery driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Maybe not, but it does give people some steer as to why you are saying what you're saying and how credible your opinions are.

Example 1) You've stated the majority of people in social housing are employed, yet you have not backed it up with any evidence at all.

Example 2) You state you earn 23k per annum (working 2 days part time PAYE, and 2 nights as a delivery driver) and also receive an additional 6k from the social welfare.

Jobseeker's Benefit for short-time workers:

Number of days worked: 2
    Weekly payment for a single person: €121.80

Meaning your annual payment would be €6,292 which is in line with what you've stated you receive from the social welfare.
    Are you really declaring your two days / €11k working as a delivery driver?

He doesn’t have to assuming he’s paying paye on his other income

You are looking at the wrong people.

We always have had people in need of social housing. Always will. The genuine tax payer and the odd chancer.

It's the LA's and FG paying ridiculous sums to private concerns for rentals and purchases while giving away our land for the privilege.

It doesn't matter if its obvious where the problem resides some folk will always look down upon and blame others who are a supposed class below them. Always have always will.

Like water off a ducks back to most of us. :)

Well there you go, learn something new every day.

So just to clarify, if I was to work part-time, I can claim for social welfare and also take a side job earning 11k per year and not declare it to the revenue?

How much can I earn on the side before I have to declare it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you saying that working as a delivery driver is tax-free?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Fair point. Would you agree though that those on the waiting list would be a fair reflection of those currently in social housing?

If not, could you point to any sources that would state otherwise?

From the CSO census results (2016) there were 143,178 households rented from a local authority. There were 393,198 occupying those houses. We don't have less social housing so we can assume these numbers are the same, if not higher now.

There are 117,800 unemployed aged between 15-74. Again, CSO statistics (seasonally adjusted unemployment).

As per the document you posted, there were 38,948 people unemployed who are not living in social housing.

So that's 117,800 - 38,948 = 78,852 unemployed people who could be living in social housing.

That's 20% of all the people living in social housing. What we aren't accounting for here is all those who are unemployed who still live with parents in housing that is not social housing. So the numbers will actually be lower than 20%.

The reason there are so many unemployed on the document you posted, is that in order to get HAP, you need to be deemed in need of social housing. I can't imagine we have too many unemployed people who can afford to rent privately without support, so essentially all of them are going to apply for assistance - which will in turn impact the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Muir wrote: »
    From the CSO census results (2016) there were 143,178 households rented from a local authority. There were 393,198 occupying those houses. We don't have less social housing so we can assume these numbers are the same, if not higher now.

Thank you a very interesting stat. The average house rented from the LA contains only approx 2.5 people. That's ridiculous and really poor utilisation of housing stock.

That is a real problem that isn't talked about.

Thank you a very interesting stat. The average house rented from the LA contains only approx 2.5 people. That's ridiculous and really poor utilisation of housing stock.

That is a real problem that isn't talked about.

I suppose that depends on housing size though. Some LA households are designed for 1-2 retired people. Would be interesting to see stats with the housing sizes and number of occupants.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are you saying that working as a delivery driver is tax-free?

No

• Advertisement

Well there you go, learn something new every day.

So just to clarify, if I was to work part-time, I can claim for social welfare and also take a side job earning 11k per year and not declare it to the revenue?

How much can I earn on the side before I have to declare it?
    If he’s paying paye on any income the revenue already know about it. He’s entitled to social welfare for any days he’s available for work but has no work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I suppose that depends on housing size though. Some LA households are designed for 1-2 retired people. Would be interesting to see stats with the housing sizes and number of occupants.

The smallest you would think is a one bed, which can accomodate 2 (in most cases).

No matter what way you look at it's a problem, only thing unknown is the level of it.

If he’s paying paye on any income the revenue already know about it. He’s entitled to social welfare for any days he’s available for work but has no work

Okay so it doesn't matter how much I earn in those days then?

So if I had a job where I somehow earned 50k annually working one day per week, then I can claim for the other four days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

There are 117,800 unemployed aged between 15-74. Again, CSO statistics (seasonally adjusted unemployment).

As per the document you posted, there were 38,948 people unemployed who are not living in social housing.

So that's 117,800 - 38,948 = 78,852 unemployed people who could be living in social housing.

That's 20% of all the people living in social housing. What we aren't accounting for here is all those who are unemployed who still live with parents in housing that is not social housing. So the numbers will actually be lower than 20%.

The reason there are so many unemployed on the document you posted, is that in order to get HAP, you need to be deemed in need of social housing. I can't imagine we have too many unemployed people who can afford to rent privately without support, so essentially all of them are going to apply for assistance - which will in turn impact the numbers.

Not all unemployed people live in social housing.

Not all unemployed people live in social housing.

I know. Naos mistakenly thought that 50% of people in social housing were unemployed and asked me for statistics to prove otherwise. My statistics show that even if all the unemployed people who aren't on the waiting list did live in social housing, only 20% of those in social housing would be unemployed. Obviously that's the worst case scenario as not all unemployed people actually do live in social housing or are on the waiting list.

Okay so it doesn't matter how much I earn in those days then?

So if I had a job where I somehow earned 50k annually working one day per week, then I can claim for the other four days?

No, Jobseeker's Allowance is a means tested payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I know. Naos mistakenly thought that 50% of people in social housing were unemployed and asked me for statistics to prove otherwise. My statistics show that even if all the unemployed people who aren't on the waiting list did live in social housing, only 20% of those in social housing would be unemployed. Obviously that's the worst case scenario as not all unemployed people actually do live in social housing or are on the waiting list.

You are only looking at Live Register numbers.

There are 1.3 million people in receipt of a weekly social welfare payment. Are you saying that there are more than 1.3 million social houses?

blanch152 wrote: »
    You are only looking at Live Register numbers.

There are 1.3 million people in receipt of a weekly social welfare payment. Are you saying that there are more than 1.3 million social houses?

I'm not looking at live register numbers. I'm looking at the CSO figures for unemployment that are seasonally adjusted. Not everyone who receives a social welfare payment is unemployed. The majority of the people making up your 1.3million are pensioners. I'm giving statistics on the number of unemployed people living in social housing, which is what I was asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

People who don't work should be placed outside Dublin, all they do is "commuting" to the local post office and collect the dole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    People who don't work should be placed outside Dublin, all they do is "commuting" to the local post office and collect the dole

All pensioners to Leitrim so.

Advertisement