Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco - Where to stay?

• 30-11-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Heading to San Francisco in Feb for a week and I'm trying to organise accommodation. Staying for a week so hotels are out as they are too expensive so we are looking at Air BnB's. I'd really, really appreciate some advice regarding which neighbourhood to stay in. It will be my wife and I and I guess we would just like to be located near the main attractions and/or transport options. Any advice would be greatly received.

El D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Very much depends on your budget. I did a low-cost tour of the US last year and spent 4 days, 3 nights in SF for $144 total. That was in an Airbnb shared self-catering place in Oakland, about 500m from the metro system for easy access to the city centre. Cheap by SF standards, but one of the most expensive places I stayed over the course of the tour, and more "hostel" standard than what I'd normally expect of an Airbnb. Still, it served its purpose and there was a good mix of people staying in the complex (three different properties sharing a common back garden).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hey folks,

Heading to San Francisco in Feb for a week and I'm trying to organise accommodation. Staying for a week so hotels are out as they are too expensive so we are looking at Air BnB's. I'd really, really appreciate some advice regarding which neighbourhood to stay in. It will be my wife and I and I guess we would just like to be located near the main attractions and/or transport options. Any advice would be greatly received.

El D

some of the hostels in San Fran are nice and they have private rooms
    much cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

Cool thanks guys. Actually thinking of just spending 3 days in the city and doing a bit of a road trip for 3 days too, just try to see as much of the greater area too as it seems like a beautiful part of the world.

the Green Tortoise hostel is the spot I stayed in before.
    great location too

Central San Francisco around Market isn't great for nightlife, eating and drinking and general neighbourhood vibe. It is cold and soulless as a place to stay imho, so if you are there for a week I would definitely stay outside the centre.

Your best bet is to stay in a neighbourhood that has easy public transport or uber access to the centre so you can get around ok. Airbnb is almost certainly your best bet.

Some options you could consider would be the area around Valencia in the mission (near the Bart) and up towards Noe Valley, the area around Church and Market / Lower Haight, Upper Haight (quite a way from the centre but some people would say this is really the centre of proper hippy San Francisco), Hayes Valley, Filmore Street north of Geary (not south of Geary!), pretty much anywhere down by Marina and North Beach would be grand too. North Beach is handy for the centre, near the bay and has bars and restaurants etc.

You could also consider Berkeley (in and out on the Bart) and parts of Oakland, but make sure you know where in Oakland. The area around rockridge bart is very gentrified for example and a straight quick ride into the city.

if you are there for a week you want to be staying somewhere with a local buzz rather than the centre. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

If you come in to a few quid before you travel stay in the Fairmont. Really nice, but pricey

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I stayed in the HI hostel (in a private room). It was cheap and clean.

Hi guys. We have decided to only stay two nights in San Fran and then go road tripping! Yosemite National Park, San Jose, Santa Cruz - those kind of places but I'm open to suggestions. We don't mind long drives (4 hours to and from Yosemite will be the longest) and we think driving yourself is a great way to see any place.

Just wondering if anyone has any things to see/do suggestions. Also do we need a visa for the one week, like an ESTA one.

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cool thanks guys. Actually thinking of just spending 3 days in the city and doing a bit of a road trip for 3 days too, just try to see as much of the greater area too as it seems like a beautiful part of the world.

Make sure you go to Yosemite national park, its amazing

Lake Tahoe (cold)
    Yosemite (cold)
    Sequioa NP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I stayed in the Tenderloin.
    So don’t stay there!

Thanks once again folks for your input!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mr.S wrote: »
    ...- make sure you prebook Alcatraz!.

Prebook everything to avoid disappointment. Yosemite also starts booking well in advance so if you plan to visit, get moving on that soon though Feb might be less in demand. Watch out if it is still in winter mode, many routes might be closed for snow.

Good call only spending 2 night in SF imho. The surrounding area is amazing, much more interesting than the city that is really not so much different to a European city.

Yosemite is amazing, but be aware it will be snowy in February or it probably will be. The pass over to the other side of the sierra nevada will probably be closed so you are limited to the valley (which is amazing to be fair) and the options for hiking will be restricted. Just check all that before you make plans.

If you ski or want to ski consider lake Tahoe.

Don't bother with San Jose but Santa Cruz, Monterey etc is worth a trip. The drive in the other direction is also excellent, basically over the golden gate bridge and keep going north. Consider going up to Humboldt which is where the really big redwoods are. It is wild and remote but a great area and shouldn't be snowy or at least I don't think it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Avoid Union Square, specifically Hotel Villa Florence which was absolutely grim in every sense of the word.

If I was going back I’d stay in or around Fisherman’s Wharf. Lovely and scenic with plenty to do and see and nice and close to Alcatraz too.

Advertisement