Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling a slogan

Options
  • 30-11-2019 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has come up with a slogan for a certain type of business. There are many of these businesses in Ireland. How would he go about selling it. What would happen if they used it and then did not pay, would he have rights.. Is it possible to protect it before telling any company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What's the slogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd assume he'd need to copyright the slogan first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

What's the slogan?

m going to put it here yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's worth nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Full disclosure: I haven't a feckin clue!

He could register a trade mark that included the phrase

like "coke is it" or "Vorsprung durch Technik"

He could register a company name and have that as its phrase

Register it as a domain name .com, .org and if there is an appropriate longer (.social) top level domain do that , twitter handle, instagram handle, facebook account and page. have a look at wt.social too.

remember to do the social media and the domain name at the same time there are

It would be easy enough and not cost a lot of money and you could try selling the package to a company that was looking to rebrand or anew company setting out.

you need to tie up all the legal loose ends and put some content on the sites so you cannot be accused of cybersquatting.

So there you go
    I should get up early more often ......:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

listermint wrote: »
    It's worth nothing
    how do you know. to me its is very original

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's worth nothing as it has no intrinsic value.
    sheesh wrote: »

He could register a trade mark that included the phrase

like "coke is it" or "Vorsprung durch Technik"

Like with a website where you can be accused of cybersquatting with trademarks you need to have a demonstrable use or its of no value.

So Nike's trademarks on 'just do it' would have no ability to stop me operating a pizza shop with the slogan 'just do it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Because a slogan, by itself, has little to no inherent value. Before there were billion dollar marketing campaigns spent on them, how much do you think the phrases "Just Do It", "Every Little Helps" or "I'm Lovin' It" were worth?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Your friend could go back to college for 4 years, train as a junior marketer for another few years and then get attached to brief for a large company with serious marketing budget (no point doing it for a mom 'n pop operation) and then give a presentation which a small proportion will be a suggested new slogan (usually 3 words is considered best i.e. Every Little Helps - which itself doesn't make sense, but sticks to the three word ideal) and he might, just might, get a 'high five' if his overall presentation is good.

TLDR version, not worth a whole lot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

It's worth nothing as it has no intrinsic value.

Like with a website where you can be accused of cybersquatting with trademarks you need to have a demonstrable use or its of no value.

So Nike's trademarks on 'just do it' would have no ability to stop me operating a pizza shop with the slogan 'just do it'.

thank you for the clarification
    Kelly kelly will have to start a company themselves create the rest of the brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Is it "oooooommhh Danone"?

A slogan has no value in and of itself, has your friend just binge-watched madmen? :)

https://www.shopify.com/tools/slogan-maker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

m going to put it here yeah right

How am I supposed to buy a slogan if I don't know what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Please don't say it's "we've got you covered"
    as every flaming carper fitter, decorator and fabric outlet (and so on) has been banging this out, really ever since the big bang/dawn if time itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

crazy prices, at crazy prices

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I love this most Irish of Irish slogans. 3 shops in Dublin, Limerick and Cork:

'SHAW'S - Almost nationwide'.

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

I love this most Irish of Irish slogans. 3 shops in Dublin, Limerick and Cork:

'SHAW'S - Almost nationwide'.

:D:D

....and Carlow, Kerry, Wexford, Kildare.... Etc!!

Don Joe wrote: »
    ....and Carlow, Kerry, Wexford, Kildare.... Etc!!

When they launched that slogan they had a few (maybe more than 3) stores across the south of Ireland.

I remember laughing heartily with graphic design college mates about it. Don't get me wrong...it was brilliant (if disingenuous) marketing.

When they launched that slogan they had a few (maybe more than 3) stores across the south of Ireland.

I remember laughing heartily with graphic design college mates about it. Don't get me wrong...it was brilliant (if disingenuous) marketing.

How old are you - and did they have GD's back then? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

• Advertisement

How old are you - and did they have GD's back then? :pac:

Way the wrong side of 50 sadly. Yes, graphic design was an element of my degree.

Advertisement