Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the meter readers must be havin a laugh

Options
  • 30-11-2019 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

was out in a house today and the water pump outside had a feed from a cu in the so called pump house through a light switch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

yhejob wrote: »
    was out in a house today and the water pump outside had a feed from a cu in the so called pump house through a light switch

What's that got to do with meter readers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 yhejob

aido79 wrote: »
    What's that got to do with meter readers?

short version of the backstory is in looking to by a house and and visiting houses for sale. when i was looking around this house i asked what was this little block build shed out the back and the auctioneer said it was a pump house. the pump house had no door on it and it had a full esb connection into a meter tails went out of the meter into a cu then no more than 4 foot away the cable coming out of it was going into a light switch which was used as a make shift junction block to wire and power the pump

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Could be all sorts of reasons for that scenario. One possible thought is that the water supply is part of a district scheme or similar, and the pump supply is paid for by a different account to the house that is nearby. Another possible is that the house supply was operating at maximum load, so the pump could not be added to it, or even it was (back in the day) cheaper to put in a separate supply than to pay the costs for the civil engineering required to put an underground feed in from the location of the house supply.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

short version of the backstory is in looking to by a house and and visiting houses for sale. when i was looking around this house i asked what was this little block build shed out the back and the auctioneer said it was a pump house. the pump house had no door on it and it had a full esb connection into a meter tails went out of the meter into a cu then no more than 4 foot away the cable coming out of it was going into a light switch which was used as a make shift junction block to wire and power the pump

I'm still confused but don't feel like you have to explain it any further because I might end up even more confused.

Could be all sorts of reasons for that scenario. One possible thought is that the water supply is part of a district scheme or similar, and the pump supply is paid for by a different account to the house that is nearby. Another possible is that the house supply was operating at maximum load, so the pump could not be added to it, or even it was (back in the day) cheaper to put in a separate supply than to pay the costs for the civil engineering required to put an underground feed in from the location of the house supply.

i accept all that but my problem is if you have this kind of a set up then but a plug for 50 cents and an outdoor socket for 20 euro and wire it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭cletus

Why is all this the meter readers' fault? Surely they just read the meter...

cletus wrote: »
    Why is all this the meter readers' fault? Surely they just read the meter...

appologies if this seems flippant, but if you walked in somewhere and saw a can of petrol sitting on top of the cu would you take it off it or leave it there? all im saying is if you walked in somewhere and saw something wrong that could cause fire or electric shock would you not tell someone?

Like clearly this is either a nixer or some rec came in took money and took the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Strange thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

appologies if this seems flippant, but if you walked in somewhere and saw a can of petrol sitting on top of the cu would you take it off it or leave it there? all im saying is if you walked in somewhere and saw something wrong that could cause fire or electric shock would you not tell someone?

Like clearly this is either a nixer or some rec came in took money and took the piss.

Is the meter reader competent to make this determination

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭cletus

dingding wrote: »
    Is the meter reader competent to make this determination

This. I didn't think meter readers' were qualified sparks, I thought they were just people hired literally to read the meter

• Advertisement
Advertisement