Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear ratios query

Options
  • 30-11-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

While running a 50/34 compact chainset with a 12/28 cassette, what would be a similar gear ratio while using a 1x chainset?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A 46 chainring with an 11/40 cassette might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

50/34 with 12/28 gives a range of 4.17 (hardest gear) to 1.21 (easisest gear)

I did this conversion this year for cyclocross racing - so was mainly interested in making sure I replicated the easiest gear
    I was working from a 40t chainring - so a 34t cassette gives me 1.18 for the easiest gear. 32t would be slightly too hard - losing 1 gear at the top end. So I settled on 34t cassette
    At the other end I have a ratio of 3.33 (40 x 11) compared to 4.17 (50 x 12) so losing quite a few gears - but as I said for my setup I'm not too concerned

So depends what you want to do?
    You can play around with different size chainrings obviously and wider ratio cassettes - make sure though if you are doing a 1x conversion that you have a derailleur with the correct capacity
    Also make sure your frame can take the size chainring you need. For mine (Giant TCX) I was limited to 40t due to chainline issues

I use this to calculate the gear ratios: https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

boomdocker wrote: »
    50/34 with 12/28 gives a range of 4.17 (hardest gear) to 1.21 (easisest gear)

I did this conversion this year for cyclocross racing - so was mainly interested in making sure I replicated the easiest gear
    I was working from a 40t chainring - so a 34t cassette gives me 1.18 for the easiest gear. 32t would be slightly too hard - losing 1 gear at the top end. So I settled on 34t cassette
    At the other end I have a ratio of 3.33 (40 x 11) compared to 4.17 (50 x 12) so losing quite a few gears - but as I said for my setup I'm not too concerned

So depends what you want to do?
    You can play around with different size chainrings obviously and wider ratio cassettes - make sure though if you are doing a 1x conversion that you have a derailleur with the correct capacity
    Also make sure your frame can take the size chainring you need. For mine (Giant TCX) I was limited to 40t due to chainline issues

I use this to calculate the gear ratios: https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

Hope that helps!

Very detailed reply and thanks for your help. Yes it's a 1x conversion. Didn't realise the chain ring size fitting the frame could be an issue

Muckers wrote: »
    Didn't realise the chain ring size fitting the frame could be an issue

You should be fine as long as you use a chainring big enough to replace your current outer ring - as Eamonnator suggest - 46t will do the trick

I was trying to use a much smaller mtb style chainring - I should clarify what i was trying to do - which was use the smallest chainring I could get away with

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

boomdocker wrote: »
    You should be fine as long as you use a chainring big enough to replace your current outer ring - as Eamonnator suggest - 46t will do the trick

I was trying to use a much smaller mtb style chainring - I should clarify what i was trying to do - which was use the smallest chainring I could get away with

I was hoping to maybe fit a 42t chainring with a 12/36 cassette. No idea whether that would do thd job for me

• Advertisement

It should, with the 42t fitted in the place of the 50t ie on the outside
    As I said above, you'll need to make sure you have a rear mech with the capacity you need

Advertisement