Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card

• 01-12-2019 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭

If you live within your means every month is there any need to have a credit card?
    I am considering getting one for 2 main reasons one being safety and the other that I stay in hotels a couple of times a year and I think irs easier to pay with a credit card. What’s putting me off is the €30 duty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Visa Debit might be much better. No real risk of overspending, unless you have an overdraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Victor wrote: »
    Visa Debit might be much better. No real risk of overspending, unless you have an overdraft.

No debts and a bit of a surplus at the end of the month. It’s just safety for online purchases in particular I’m thinking of. I have a debit card with my current a/c already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Visa debit is not to be recommended when paying for hotels. I have had issues a couple of times. A pending charge for the total bill was put through at the beginning of my stay. When I paid upon checking out, they put through another charge rather than utilising the first authorisation. As a result, the original pending charge stayed on my current account for 10 working days, thereby cutting off access to funds. When I complained to the hotel they told me to contact my bank. When I rang my bank they correctly told me that the hotel was at fault.

Now when staying in hotels, I just pay the bill when I check in - using cash.

A credit card would be better than a debit card in such cases. If you are worried about overspending then ask for a low limit (say €650)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,019 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I use rental cars instead of owning. Some companies won't rent without a CC, others put a very large hold thru a debit card.

Are there any recommended cards out there? At the moment I’m between the Avantcard One Card and KBC credit Card but open to other options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,294 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless you're going to be doing very significant volumes and get one of the very limited number of reward cards out there, and are intending to pay off every month there is really no difference between cards. Make sure you can get online access to statements; some of the old banks make that extremely awkward if you don't use their current account.

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless you're going to be doing very significant volumes and get one of the very limited number of reward cards out there, and are intending to pay off every month there is really no difference between cards. Make sure you can get online access to statements; some of the old banks make that extremely awkward if you don't use their current account.

There is the once off benefit of "free money". Say you pay off your card every month but use, say, €1,000 on the card every month. You are €1,000 better off than not using the card. The problem arises if you don't pay off the card.

Used well it provides a free loan and you can also earn cash back. I earn €225 per year on my AIB platinum card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are there any recommended cards out there? At the moment I’m between the Avantcard One Card and KBC credit Card but open to other options
    The One Card is pointless for you, as you don't have a balance to transfer and don't plan to carry one.
    Their Rewards Plus would be more suitable, you'll get a few quid cashback each month, should easily cover the €30 stamp duty
    https://www.avantcard.ie/credit-cards/rewardplus

wench wrote: »
    The One Card is pointless for you, as you don't have a balance to transfer and don't plan to carry one.
    Their Rewards Plus would be more suitable, you'll get a few quid cashback each month, should easily cover the €30 stamp duty
    https://www.avantcard.ie/credit-cards/rewardplus

Are there any pros/cons to going with Avantcard against KBC who are a high street bank?

Are there any pros/cons to going with Avantcard against KBC who are a high street bank?

Interest free credit period 9 months direct or 12 months through An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wench

I've never banked with KBC so I couldn't say. But I've had 20 years problem free with Avantcard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I use a Curve card pointing to my Avant Card. So whenever I pay for something on Amazon it uses the Curve number and I get no foreign exchange costs.
    + Avant card give me some cashback each month.
    + Curve gives 1% back for 3 months for some retailers. They give it as an introductory offer plus they just gave it as a gift for a further 3 months for Christmas. (I've got Tesco, Lidl & Amazon as my retailers).

In the last 3 months I've gotten €20 back through Avant / Curve and I've saved about €10 in foreign exchange so that balances out the €30 fee for the year. I use the card for everything though. I'm pretty much cashless these days.

This all goes out the window if you don't pay your credit card back before the due date. Interest fees wipe out any small savings you'll make on transactions. So if you can't pay back the card on time then don't get one. The credit card companies want you to borrow money and it's too easy to do if you're not strict with yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If an annual charge of €30 is a deal breaker don't bother.

Advertisement