Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

quokula wrote: »
    While BAR did buy up Tyrrell assets, they were an entirely new team with a new workforce and factory built up from scratch, so I don’t think they would count as a continuation. The rest are spot on.

They're legally the same company. The reason Craig Pollock bought Tyrrell was for the company number effectively. Once BAR was legally a rename of an existing team they were entitled to money under the Concorde Agreement immediately instead of having to wait like Stewart did. (Not sure if Haas had to wait.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They're legally the same company. The reason Craig Pollock bought Tyrrell was for the company number effectively. Once BAR was legally a rename of an existing team they were entitled to money under the Concorde Agreement immediately instead of having to wait like Stewart did. (Not sure if Haas had to wait.)

Haas did have to wait and took issue with Racing Point not having to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

quokula wrote: »
    While BAR did buy up Tyrrell assets, they were an entirely new team with a new workforce and factory built up from scratch, so I don’t think they would count as a continuation. The rest are spot on.
    British American Tobacco bought Tyrrell at the end of 1997, and ran the team as Tyrrell for the 1998 season. They changed the team name to BAR the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think you missed Super Aguri in Jordans history

• Registered Users Posts: 23,631 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

flazio wrote: »
    I think you missed Super Aguri in Jordans history

Super Aguri were a new entrant in 06.

In 06 Jordan became Midland F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pjohnson wrote: »
    McLaren used those hopeless Peugeot engines for a year before Jordan and then Prost took them until Pegueot left.

Yamaha used to power Jordan (for free irrc) and then Tyrrell.
    how dare you they lasted the race once the rolls royce engineers got there hands on the design (the conrod was made from a rolls royce alloy and Ron Dennis was mates with the head of engineering at RR) I didnt get VIP tickets to the British grand prix as I only setup the computers for the stress engineers who did the work !
    the engine lasted the next race !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

British American Tobacco bought Tyrrell at the end of 1997, and ran the team as Tyrrell for the 1998 season. They changed the team name to BAR the following season.

Yeah I was trying to say that this was on paper only - they bought the legal entity but they built their entire team from scratch at a different headquarters that had no direct link to Tyrrell.

This is unlike Racing Point for example who still have guys like Andy Stevenson in the team who have been there all the way through since the Jordan days. It’s continued as one team through successive owners and name changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Fernando Alonso finished his 1st Indy500 race in 21st yesterday and was thankfull for the experience as well as congratulating Takumo Sato on His 2nd Indy500 win. So he still has to complete the triple Crown Alonso but I am sure in time one of the best F1 drivers and a great driver he will complete it in time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Was the ban on quali modes confirmed for Spa?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AMKC wrote: »
    I see Fernando Alonso finished his 1st Indy500 race in 21st yesterday and was thankfull for the experience as well as congratulating Takumo Sato on His 2nd Indy500 win. So he still has to complete the triple Crown Alonso but I am sure in time one of the best F1 drivers and a great driver he will complete it in time.

I wouldn't be sure of it myself. Presumably it it takes luck amongst other things like skill and experience. Plus his age is against him.

The triple crown is a nice record but not achieving it doesn't take from his skill.

• Advertisement

Was the ban on quali modes confirmed for Spa?

I think it was all done last week. The can still turn down the engine in free practice so it's just quali and race mode has to be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

I think it was all done last week. The can still turn down the engine in free practice so it's just quali and race mode has to be the same

It was pushed out to Italy I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

delayed to monza

Ms

Why was it delayed?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Why was it delayed?
    I'd imagine its not straightforward to develop and test a "one size fits all" engine mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

I'd imagine its not straightforward to develop and test a "one size fits all" engine mode.

Or to supervise that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Probably not enough time to write the rules with no loopholes!

There are also reports Mercedes and Red Bulls rear wings are flexing and they've had to improve the testing to verify that they are legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wouldn't be sure of it myself. Presumably it it takes luck amongst other things like skill and experience. Plus his age is against him.

The triple crown is a nice record but not achieving it doesn't take from his skill.

Sato's older than Alonso, but that said he also has years of oval racing experience and doesn't have a contract telling him he can't come back next year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The weather for Spa this weekend is a bit ropey. Will know more towards the end of the week but Sunday looking wet.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/be/spa/29281/daily-weather-forecast/29281

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

4 new tracks added

Turkey - 15th November
    Bahrain - 29th November & 6 December
    Abu Dhabi - 13th December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sato's older than Alonso, but that said he also has years of oval racing experience and doesn't have a contract telling him he can't come back next year. ;)

In order to have a good chance at winning Indy, Alonso needs to embark into a full Indycar season - he almost got lucky on the first attempt bar for the engine blowing up, but last year's DNQ and this year's midfield run simply show you can't tackle oval racing, and especially the Indy 500, as a side project.

I frankly don't understand why he wants back into F1 so badly - he's not gonna win another title with Renault, while most top teams in Indycar would trample over one another to sign him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

antodeco wrote: »
    4 new tracks added

Turkey - 15th November

Great to see they’re going back to Turkey. Always was baffled how it was taken off the calendar because it’s a great track.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Great to see they’re going back to Turkey. Always was baffled how it was taken off the calendar because it’s a great track.

The tracks pay a fortune to hold the race. If they can't sell the tickets then it withdraws from the calendar.

This year is very different because the track are being paid to hold the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭rock22

antodeco wrote: »
    4 new tracks added

Turkey - 15th November

The ethical compass F1 are using might be faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

rock22 wrote: »
    I'd love to see an LGBT+ lives matter protest in any of those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

rock22 wrote: »

I can imagine the knee taking going well...

Ms

Would it ever have been viable for Mondelo to hold a modern F1 race under the current climate and if so why did they not try to get them to come here? It is 3.5km which is not a bad length for a track.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Would it ever have been viable for Mondelo to hold a modern F1 race under the current climate and if so why did they not try to get them to come here? It is 3.5km which is not a bad length for a track.

Could be that the surfacing isn't up to spec for F1?

• Advertisement

Without knowing much about Mondelo I'd say it's maintained to be fit for purpose and it would be crazy to maintain it to be fit for F1 if if doesn't host F1 events. Portimao is the only track to be used that hasn't hosted F1 before but it does host Moto GP which presumably has pretty high standards as these things go. Does Mondelo have room for F1 teams in the pits? And positions for TV cameras, F1 level medical facilities, along with all the questions about track surface?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement