Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

flazio wrote: »
    If it's Gillette that sponsors them and someone from W series makes the jump up, it could be rebranded "Venus Williams"
    Or the Claire name might prevail if Shannon airport company decide once travel returns to normal to promote Country Clare with a title sponsorship of the Clare Williams.

Or maybe a one-time Take That member...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Id love if there was a beer made from hake fish.

Could be WilliamS hakes beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Sticking with the music theme, Will.i.ams, for a American market :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

recyclebin wrote: »
    Willliams did have a business outside Formula one, Williams Advanced Engineering which was founded in 2010 as a spin off of the Formula 1 team. I think they sold most if in 2019 to keep the Formula 1 team afloat.

Still, doesn't make them a brand - no more than, say, HAAS is as an industrial automation company. Also, most of Williams Advanced Engineering work IS in the field of motorsport, which again, is only be known to enthusiasts and people involved.

Which is unfortunate, really - one has to wonder where would the Williams name be if, say, at the height of their dominance whereabouts 1992-1993, they made a road-going "hypercar" in partnership with Renault (slam a detuned version of the F1 V10 in it) with all of the insane technology the team used in F1, especially the reactive suspension they rocked.

Instead, we got the "Clio Williams" - nice little hot hatch, but not nearly enough for the "wow" factor.

I don't get the need for a brand outside Formula 1. Formula 1 should be self sustainable like most other sports. Bernie really ruined the sport in that regard in his last few years. Up to the late 90's, you didnt need a mega budget just to compete. The engineers and the drivers mattered much more than the big budget.

It's only in the coming years with the limited budget, and more equitable share of the prize money that Formula 1 will become sustainable again. The new owners of Williams are an investment company, just like the owners of Sauber, so they need to make money from F1 and not just use it as a marketing tool. So at least there is an incentive there to get them up the grid and earn more prize money and get bigger advertisers involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Still, doesn't make them a brand - no more than, say, HAAS is as an industrial automation company. Also, most of Williams Advanced Engineering work IS in the field of motorsport, which again, is only be known to enthusiasts and people involved.

Which is unfortunate, really - one has to wonder where would the Williams name be if, say, at the height of their dominance whereabouts 1992-1993, they made a road-going "hypercar" in partnership with Renault (slam a detuned version of the F1 V10 in it) with all of the insane technology the team used in F1, especially the reactive suspension they rocked.

Instead, we got the "Clio Williams" - nice little hot hatch, but not nearly enough for the "wow" factor.

I don't think Hypercars existed back then. They are relatively new. Supercar's did do and is what they should have done.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don't get the need for a brand outside Formula 1. Formula 1 should be self sustainable like most other sports. Bernie really ruined the sport in that regard in his last few years. Up to the late 90's, you didnt need a mega budget just to compete. The engineers and the drivers mattered much more than the big budget.

It's only in the coming years with the limited budget, and more equitable share of the prize money that Formula 1 will become sustainable again. The new owners of Williams are an investment company, just like the owners of Sauber, so they need to make money from F1 and not just use it as a marketing tool. So at least there is an incentive there to get them up the grid and earn more prize money and get bigger advertisers involved.

beefed it up, then moved it on, making a fortune in the process!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Not sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate on why you think Bernie was at fault for the move to the mega budgets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The docu movie Williams Formula 1 in the blood is free on the Sky Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

flazio wrote: »
    The docu movie Williams Formula 1 in the blood is free on the Sky Store.

It is not free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't think Hypercars existed back then. They are relatively new. Supercar's did do and is what they should have done.

The McLaren F1 wasn’t a hyper car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

mrsoundie wrote: »
    It is not free

No, but there is a free 10 quid to use on anything. Even better!

Ms

The McLaren F1 wasn’t a hyper car?

Nope it was a Supercar. I just checked and yep Supercar. Hypercars are a relatively new thing that have only been around the last 10 to 15 years or so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Apologies, it turns out it was a VIP offer.
    I didn't realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I watched the Williams tribute on Channel 4 earlier this evening with Claire Williams watching it in-vision with Steve Jones & David Coulthard interviewing her after it. I felt very teary eyed when I watched it because Claire was doing the same thing after seeing the tribute by Lee McKenzie. I felt like it was the end of an era for both Claire & Frank to not continue on their rein within the sport. Best of luck to Claire & Frank with their new future ahead. Their legacy in F1 will never be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,631 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Confirmed Renault will be rebranded as Alpine F1 and adopt a red, white and blue colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sounds like a toothpaste colour scheme, mmm alpine fresh.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I don't understand the decision to rebrand from Renault to Alpine. Renault is a recognisable brand name, the average motorist/consumer will hear Alpine and think of air freshener, toothpaste, breakfast cereal or toilet cleaner. Basically anything that's not a car

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

skipper_G wrote: »
    I don't understand the decision to rebrand from Renault to Alpine. Renault is a recognisable brand name, the average motorist/consumer will hear Alpine and think of air freshener, toothpaste, breakfast cereal or toilet cleaner. Basically anything that's not a car

They are clearly going to put a big push on the Alpine brand as their sports car arm so it makes alot of sense that way. Alonso getting podium in Alpine should bring huge exposure to the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's the exact point: to build brand awareness and associate Alpine with fast cars, not air freshener.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I wonder will that mean they will not get the legacy payment anymore or will they continue to get it? It would be a big mistake if they lost that. Maybe Renault Alpine would have been better than just Alpine F1. Renault are the ones with all the history in the sport after all and Alpine have zero even do they are owned by Renault.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Would there be financial fair play rules like in football?

I remember man city needing to justify spending their billions when they werent making any money and suddenly the owners other company bought the naming rights to the stadium for mad money. It was investigated but I think they found no wrong doing after a thorough investigation and some appeals of course.

Maybe explain renault alpine. Who knows?

It's just a branding exercise, similar to Toro Rosso changing name to Alpha Tauri and Sauber being branded as Alfa Romeo.

Behind the brand name, everything else stays mostly the same.

mickdw wrote: »
    They are clearly going to put a big push on the Alpine brand as their sports car arm so it makes alot of sense that way. Alonso getting podium in Alpine should bring huge exposure to the brand.

If it works, Won't do much good for a brand nobody cares about if it's not successful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

If it works, Won't do much good for a brand nobody cares about if it's not successful

The other options were Dacia and Lada, it's understandable that they went for Alpine :pac:

They are also pushing the french angle and im sure will keep strong Renault branding with the power units etc so its a win win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't understand everyone that is saying Renault is a bigger name so they should have kept that.

The car manufacturers name isn't supposed to be there to make the team popular. The team is suppose to use the name to make the car manufacturer popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ferrari 6th in the Constructors and in danger of being caught by Alpha Tauri

I dont think we are hearing even a fraction of the story from Ferrari. There must be a complete fallout at the factory with staff not talking to each other etc.
    Its certainly.more than an engine problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Just finished watching the recorded gp, let's just say it was a strange one, I'm delighted for gasly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement