Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Everything. He has a girl carrying around his bag of swag putting on his watches and caps and shades everytime he is out of the car. There is nothing he is pictured with that isnt paying him to sell.

When he is pictured with a popstar or model he is rumoured to be dating its more than likely because they need to raise their profile or sell an album.

He is a walking sandwhich board.

Can you send some links too examples of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Can you send some links too examples of this?

Tommy Hilfiger, Monster energy, puma, iwc, sony,
    Bose, bell helmets, mv augusta motorcycles and many more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.essentiallysports.com/tag/lewis-hamilton/amp/

He has aparantly sold his private jet while it is trendy to sell your private jet, how he gets from country to country now who knows, id imagine cycles or walks barefoot.

Fights racism while taking a paycheck from mercedes who took 40000 concentration camp workers into their factories for cheap labour.

In my honest opinion he is a parody of consumerism.

Made a big deal flying around on a branded scooter on sunday to go complain to the officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Everything. He has a girl carrying around his bag of swag putting on his watches and caps and shades everytime he is out of the car. There is nothing he is pictured with that isnt paying him to sell.

When he is pictured with a popstar or model he is rumoured to be dating its more than likely because they need to raise their profile or sell an album.

He is a walking sandwhich board.
    I am not a Hamilton fan at all and always feel that he feels a bit fake in the personality dept..
    My 10yr son commented on him when we were watching the after race interviews and asked why he kept fixing his watch and hat as if he was selling them. I actually hadn't noticed, but it seemed so obvious when he pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I am not a Hamilton fan at all and always feel that he feels a bit fake in the personality dept..
    My 10yr son commented on him when we were watching the after race interviews and asked why he kept fixing his watch and hat as if he was selling them. I actually hadn't noticed, but it seemed so obvious when he pointed it out.

Smart kid.:)

We need young fans like him for the future.

They all do that because the hats carry branding and are valuable selling sites for the sponsors.

If the individual driver has a contract with a watch company an assistant will pass him the watch and it gets some exposure. Because LH is so successful he will get more than drivers further down the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

elperello wrote: »
    Smart kid.:)

We need young fans like him for the future.

They all do that because the hats carry branding and are valuable selling sites for the sponsors.

If the individual driver has a contract with a watch company an assistant will pass him the watch and it gets some exposure. Because LH is so successful he will get more than drivers further down the field.

IWC are Mercedes watch partners, so wearing the watch on TV is probably part of his Mercedes contract. For better or worse this what elite sport is these days, a massive advertising and marketing exercise, Hamilton is doing nothing out of the ordinary.

Richard Mille, whose watches cost from 80K up to several million, have lots of brand ambassadors in sports, including Simon Pagenaud and Mick Schumacher (and previously Felippe Massa) in motorsports. Strangely, they don’t seem to get this sort of criticism for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Hijpo

What is everyone's thoughts on the extremely casual behaviour and interactions between some of the drivers? Russel, Norris, Ricardo.

I enjoy the friendly vibes, it's fun.

Would you rather see them take it a bit more serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Anjobe wrote: »
    IWC are Mercedes watch partners, so wearing the watch on TV is probably part of his Mercedes contract. For better or worse this what elite sport is these days, a massive advertising and marketing exercise, Hamilton is doing nothing out of the ordinary.

Richard Mille, whose watches cost from 80K up to several million, have lots of brand ambassadors in sports, including Simon Pagenaud and Mick Schumacher (and previously Felippe Massa) in motorsports. Strangely, they don’t seem to get this sort of criticism for it.

At those eye watering prices we are hardly the target market so I don't know why it should bother us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anjobe wrote: »

Bloody hell. What do them watches actually do thinking for a person too and keep you healthy or something. It's a watch for feck sake. That's just silly money but then I suppose that to them is like 100 euros for us mere peasants eh.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

User given 24hr ban for ignoring multiple warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Can't remember when exactly it was but Hamilton literally posted on twitter not too long ago re mental health and asking for help (the scumbag) that there are 2 Hamilton's, the one we see in relation to him being a race driver and the one we rarely see in private.
    He's a walking billboard but that makes him like any other race driver who generally if daddy isn't paying, have to become walking billboards to survive in the sport.
    Michael jordan, tiger woods, lionel messi...all these people sell/sold anything if the cash was thrown at them, why wouldn't you? These guys are running a limited time gig where you make as much as quick as you can because you're possibly you're next event away from being finished!
    I don't agree with everything he has to say but, for example, BLM, he's an amazingly highly rated star in his field who garners a hell of a lot of air time and he chooses it to push that topic. He could be like Tiger and completely ignore it but then he (Tiger) is getting pilloried for that so he can't really win.
    If he stays quiet he is criticised, if he speaks he criticised.
    If he congratulates a competitor (as he did with Gasly) he is a phony, if he doesn't he's a sore loser.
    For some people there is nothing, absolutely nothing he can do that would ever win them over or even convince them that's there's more to him than what we see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭vectra

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Cop on lad.

Please elaborate :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

elperello wrote: »
    At those eye watering prices we are hardly the target market so I don't know why it should bother us.

its just an example, the point was that so many top players in tennis, golf, football etc etc etc do this. The watch thing isn't even a personal sponsorship for Hamilton (its a Mercedes sponsorship) but somehow it's worse when he does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

There is an entire Thread dedicated to the discussion of Lewis and what ever he does outside of driving , It would be good if all the above could be kept there. it takes the F1 thread way off every time someone decides to drift off into his non driving antics .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

This isn't new :confused: ,wasn't it Jackie Stewart that said he had shortened the sleeves on one side of his shirts so that the watch was always on display and its also the reason you've always seen a driver zipping down their overalls or up their overalls at different points to show off all the sponsors logos etc.
    I've always got the impression Lewis hates and is crap at the corporate stuff and interviews just after a race,he is his own brand as well so you cant hate him for giving the cliched lines of best fans etc as negative comments will affect his branding. I reckon he is probably pretty ok in a private setting tbh. I still dont like him winning all the races though.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

04581466 wrote: »
    Not a lot of noise about Kimi and 2021 yet? Not that I want him gone or anything but it's disappointing to see him stuck in a car that won't score points without the aid of at least 6 retirements further up the field, and with absolutely no hope of that changing in 2021 I'd be surprised if he still has the motivation to have another season like this one.

Probably waiting to see how the F2 boys get on one of them might get a go in the Alfa

Perez leaving Racing point at the end of the season?

Just popped up on Reddit . Is that real

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/iplxxl/sergio_checo_pérez_announces_his_retirement_from/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Joeface wrote: »
    Perez leaving Racing point at the end of the season?

Just popped up on Reddit . Is that real

https://mobile.twitter.com/SChecoPerez/status/1303760511239151618

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

When will they announce Vettel.

When will they announce Vettel.

Soon :D

Harika wrote: »
    Soon :D

Ah now. How soon is soon, tomorrow, next week, next month, Christmas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Vettel to announce at Mugello that he is leaving the steaming pile of horsesh1t to join Aston Martin next season :P Perfect location and timing on Ferraris 1000th Grand Prix :D

Ah now. How soon is soon, tomorrow, next week, next month, Christmas ;)

Before the end of time!

Harika wrote: »
    Before the end of time!

Hallelujah

recyclebin wrote: »
    Vettel to announce at Mugello that he is leaving the steaming pile of horsesh1t to join Aston Martin next season :P Perfect location and timing on Ferraris 1000th Grand Prix :D

Ferrari will do something to shut him up for that race, otherwise it will take the spotlight off them and onto him, I don’t know which is worse at present

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Perez back to Sauber if Kimi retires?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

recyclebin wrote: »
    Perez back to Sauber if Kimi retires?

You mean Alda Romeo. I like Sergio and think he is a good driver that deserves to be in the sport. I think him in a Mercedes would be good. I doubt he would just lay down and take it like Valterri is. Racing point are letting go the wrong driver. Vettel and Sergio would have been a good team.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,549 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

image.jpg

Ferrari to use a retro livery this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,549 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I feel for Checo, but Aston will want a headline driver, Vettel is that guy.

Gintonious wrote: »
    I feel for Checo, but Aston will want a headline driver, Vettel is that guy.

Mercedes openly admire Vettel, chances are they can’t take him but had words behind the scenes to get him into Aston Martin. Regardless of what Vettel is, he’s not another Alonso in how Mercedes View him.

• Advertisement

I think Perez will end up at HAAS , I can see that as the better option over ALFA as they are both a feeder and retirement home for Ferrari. Not even sure HAAS will stay with Ferrari engines , with McLaren going to mercedes engine they could consider the Renault engine .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement