Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I’ve been to the puma store, can’t fit the life of me understand why it’s only Mercedes F1 gear and not other teams with puma clothing like red bull and Ferrari. The only other motorsport gear they have is BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I’ve been to the puma store, can’t fit the life of me understand why it’s only Mercedes F1 gear and not other teams with puma clothing like red bull and Ferrari. The only other motorsport gear they have is BMW

As much as we think motorsport is big in Ireland I think demand would not be big enough to justify it.
    Would like to see it but cant see it, to maxx at end if season is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Real pity about Perez.

Id love to see mercedes fold to public persuasion and put somebody in the car who would crash into their teammate rather than lose to them.

Imagine Perez being told to compete with Luis it would be box office. The radio cackling non stop. The scooter rides to the stewards. The poor stewards wouldnt sleep.

Mercedes would come out of it much more loved than if they won the next 5 championships. It would bring real spark back to F1 in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Next year is going to interesting ,Vettel and Riccardo getting their hands on Mercedes engines and both will be up against competitive young team members in Lando and Stroll. Returning Alonso in an ever improving Renault .

I feel like CarlosS is really drawing a short straw for a year anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Joeface wrote: »
    Next year is going to interesting ,Vettel and Riccardo getting their hands on Mercedes engines and both will be up against competitive young team members in Lando and Stroll. Returning Alonso in an ever improving Renault .

I feel like CarlosS is really drawing a short straw for a year anyway .
    It's still a great career move for Sainz, nevertheless. He and Leclerc seem evenly matched - Sainz appears a little less prone to error - so the most interesting contest between team mates will be at Ferrari. It's clear there will be no outright team leader like Vettel, in effect, was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's still a great career move for Sainz, nevertheless.

Are you serious? Next year will be a write off for him and there is no guarantees that the new cars in 2022 will be any better. McLaren are on the up. Ferrari are a mess and in terminal decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

recyclebin wrote: »
    Are you serious? Next year will be a write off for him and there is no guarantees that the new cars in 2022 will be any better. McLaren are on the up. Ferrari are a mess and in terminal decline.
    Not in terminal decline, I would say, just a change of key management personnel required. McLaren have done this and brought about a transformation in a short period of time. Ferrari is the richest team and can afford to headhunt the best design and engineering talent out there. A return to the Brawn/Byrne /Todt kind of scenario rather than promoting from in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not in terminal decline, I would say, just a change of key management personnel required. McLaren have done this and brought about a transformation in a short period of time. Ferrari is the richest team and can afford to headhunt the best design and engineering talent out there. A return to the Brawn/Byrne /Todt kind of scenario rather than promoting from in house.

Have ferrari grabbed the departing mercedes engine boss yet?
    He has been making noises about stepping into another field but surely he would just be given a blank check to sign up with any engine manufacturer. I get the whole gardening leave and the rapid development speed but he still has to be a valuable guy if you are looking to leap forward with your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Next year is looking interesting alright. I wish Vettel the best of Irish Luck in his new drive at Racing Point sorry I mean Aston Martin. It will no doubt be a defining year for him do. I hope his head and mind will be in the right place for it.
    I hope Carlos going to Ferrarì does not end up been the end of his Career as am sure if it does not go well there that McLaren would take him back.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Next year is looking interesting alright. I wish Vfttel the best of Irish Luck in his new drive at Racing Point sorry I Aston Martin. Ig will no doubt be a defining year for him do I hope his head and mind will be in thf right place for it.
    I hope Carlos going to Ferrarì does not end up been the end of his Career as am sure if it does not go well there that McLaren would take him back.

Well the team's foundations are Irish :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I feel like the Sainz thing will be another Alonso, great driver with no car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would say Ferrari are back where they were in pre schumacher days. 21 years without a title!
    We are number 13 now and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

g1983d wrote: »
    As much as we think motorsport is big in Ireland I think demand would not be big enough to justify it.
    Would like to see it but cant see it, to maxx at end if season is the way to go

Motorsport big in Ireland? Motorsport is minuscule and near the point of non existence here; Heck, if you say "racing", people understand horses :D
    vectra wrote: »
    I would say Ferrari are back where they were in pre schumacher days. 21 years without a title!
    We are number 13 now and counting.

Precisely - there's no such thing as "terminal decline" for Ferrari, they go this way every time an Italian management takes over. Give them a couple of years, they'll hire somebody competent and German/French/British and they'll be back at the front.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Give the job to Eddie Jordan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭rock22

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Precisely - there's no such thing as "terminal decline" for Ferrari, they go this way every time an Italian management takes over. Give them a couple of years, they'll hire somebody competent and German/French/British and they'll be back at the front.

This is to seriously misunderstand what the essence of Ferrari is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

antodeco wrote: »
    Couldn't be any worse than the current management :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

rock22 wrote: »
    This is to seriously misunderstand what the essence of Ferrari is.

How so? It's a proven fact - Italian leaderships within Ferrari, over the last 40+ years, only produced bickering, political backstabbing and instability, which translated into poor performance and reliability on track.

It is a cultural issue, and the team needs a strong leadership that's free from the various mental hangups that allow and even encourage that culture to proliferate - and it usually means hiring someone from the outside, most likely a foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    How so? It's a proven fact - Italian leaderships within Ferrari, over the last 40+ years, only produced bickering, political backstabbing and instability, which translated into poor performance and reliability on track.

It is a cultural issue, and the team needs a strong leadership that's free from the various mental hangups that allow and even encourage that culture to proliferate - and it usually means hiring someone from the outside, most likely a foreigner.

Ross Brawn's biography is a nice read here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Harika wrote: »
    Ross Brawn's biography is a nice read here

I'm finally getting around to reading it at the moment - finished the first section and it's amazing how much of a shambles the Ferrari setup was internally when he joined. The fact that he had to move operations back from the UK so it could all happen in the same place is mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Do you know anything about Ferrari, this is basically a pastime for them at this stage. Management works like Game of Thrones there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

antodeco wrote: »

Or even Eddie Irvine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Or even Eddie Irvine.

Kimi as a team principal when he retires :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

LeClerc had had the upper hand over Vettel in quali this season. Usually a few tenths and a few grid positions. LeClerc has often gotten to the next round of quali when Vettel has gets eliminated. But gap between the ferraris is huge this weekend.

It shows either a lack of pace that he can't keep up with LeClerc or a lack of professionalism that he isn't trying his best.

So why is the gap between them so large this year?

So why is the gap between them so large this year?
    Could be as simple as car suiting one drivers style more than the other and zero to do with professionalism. Working environment probably has a big impact too. Just like Max vs everyone else who's tried the RedBull car. Gasly struggled in the RedBull car, while he's very comfortable in the TorroRosso - he's the same driver, just in a more suited car and environment.

I wouldn't be a huge Vettel fan, but I wouldn't be quick to dismiss his performance based on a lack of professionalism or desire. The Ferrari is a dog, and the environment toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Kimi as a team principal when he retires :D

This has actually been floated as a possibility. Kimi is being paid in shares by Alfa and when he joined there was a rumor that he would take over as team principal on retirement and if not a mechanic/engineer at least.

I think it's unlikely but it's a nice thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Top Dog wrote: »
    Could be as simple as car suiting one drivers style more than the other and zero to do with professionalism. Working environment probably has a big impact too. Just like Max vs everyone else who's tried the RedBull car. Gasly struggled in the RedBull car, while he's very comfortable in the TorroRosso - he's the same driver, just in a more suited car and environment.

I wouldn't be a huge Vettel fan, but I wouldn't be quick to dismiss his performance based on a lack of professionalism or desire. The Ferrari is a dog, and the environment toxic.

Lack of adaptability maybe? Leclerc is extracting some great performances from the same dog of a Ferrari but Seb isn't. I would expect Seb to be better at adapting to a car that he doesn't like. I'd certainly expect him to much more adaptable than the likes of Albon, Kvyat or Gasley.

Last year Leclerc hadn't a great start to the season. He didn't like the car and it took him a few races to realise he couldn't set up the car as he like so he would simply have to adapt his driving style. Credit to him he has adapted to the car better than Seb has managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Is there anywhere I can get a full replay of today's race

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

naughto wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can get a full replay of today's race

C4 highlights are on at 6:30. I'm sure they'll cover all you need.

Lack of adaptability maybe?
    Yup. Some excel at it like Alonso, many others struggle when the car doesn't suit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lee McKenzie on CH4 just spoke about Ineos potentially buying 70% of the Merc team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement