Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BikeRacer wrote: »
    I see the mental gymnastics have peaked.
    Imagine someone in their rookie year stringing 9 podiums together in his opening 9 races, with the reigning world champion as his teammate and call that 'struggled'. He embarrassed Alonso that year by beating him in the championship. To say anything else is delusional.

The alonso which even mclaren admitted were not supporting the same as lewis?
    Nothing about Button, Rosberg et al, the mediocre list of opponents lewis didnt defeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

ELM327 wrote: »
    The alonso which even mclaren admitted were not supporting the same as lewis?
    Nothing about Button, Rosberg et al, the mediocre list of opponents lewis didnt defeat?

You're calling Button and Rosberg mediocre, that's total crap. They are World Champions for crying out loud, something only 33 people have ever done. BikeRacer is right, it's mental gymnastics.

skipper_G wrote: »
    You're calling Button and Rosberg mediocre, that's total crap. They are World Champions for crying out loud, something only 33 people have ever done. BikeRacer is right, it's mental gymnastics.

Button is a wdc because of Brawn and only because of brawn. They exploited a loophole for about 10 races and managed to hold on. Rubens "Number 2" Barrichello was second that year FFS because of the car.

Rosberg the same, he had a couple of above average races in the williams but he would not have won without the exponential dominance of the mercs.

They were both mediocre. Look where button was in '08 or '10.
    They are at the level of Perez. Good solid mid tier but nowhere near top tier drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Button is a wdc because of Brawn and only because of brawn. They exploited a loophole for about 10 races and managed to hold on. Rubens "Number 2" Barrichello was second that year FFS because of the car.

Rosberg the same, he had a couple of above average races in the williams but he would not have won without the exponential dominance of the mercs.

They are at the level of Perez. Good solid mid tier but nowhere near top tier drivers.

I'm not debating it with you, I'm pointing out the fact that you're wrong.

skipper_G wrote: »
    I'm not debating it with you, I'm pointing out the fact that you're wrong.
    Fair enough.
    Everyone knows once you bring out the FACT you are right, I can't argue with your FACT. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Barrichello wasn’t second that year (2009), Vettel was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree. They are both much better than mediocre.
    Jenson but up a good fight in 09 and Rosberg in 16. Yes they were both lucky with there cars but so had Hamilton been. Who knows if Jenson had of stayed at what became Mercedes instead of going to McLaren in 10 that maybe he would have been a 5, 6 or even 7 time WDC and Lewis could still only be a 1 time WDC driver. It's the luck of the draw as much as it is the driver too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. They are both much better than mediocre.
    Jenson but up a good fight in 09 and Rosberg in 16. Yes they were both lucky with there cars but so had Hamilton been. Who knows if Jenson had of stayed at what became Mercedes instead of going to McLaren in 10 that maybe he would have been a 5, 6 or even 7 time WDC and Lewis could still only be a 1 time WDC driver. It's the luck of the draw as much as it is the driver too.
    Mediocre means middle of the pack. Non remarkable.
    "of only average quality; not very good."

It should be noted that I would not consider lewis much more than mediocre. Certainly not in the Alonso, Michael Schumacher, Senna, Hakkinen category

Barrichello wasn’t second that year (2009), Vettel was.
    Right you are. I always thought that was a 1-2 year for brawn, but checking it up, Rubens was third

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Formula_One_World_Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't class Button as mediocre in terms of drivers in general but i would class him below the median in terms of champions.

Eddie Irvine was almost a champion too and I would have also classed him as below the median of WDCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

Only following F1 since this year but I find it confusing that some people here seem to want to totally discredit world champions? Hamilton gets regularly talked down despite breaking records the whole time (yeah he's easy to dislike I know) saw vettel getting talked down a whole back, who do people think are genuinely great drivers lately? Cause it seems like it's all down to the car and you can put anyone behind the wheel the way some are talked about.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The problem isn't Lewis. It is the utter dominance of Mercedes, whoever is in those seats will be winning races and championships

klose wrote: »
    Only following F1 since this year but I find it confusing that some people here seem to want to totally discredit world champions? Hamilton gets regularly talked down despite breaking records the whole time (yeah he's easy to dislike I know) saw vettel getting talked down a whole back, who do people think are genuinely great drivers lately? Cause it seems like it's all down to the car and you can put anyone behind the wheel the way some are talked about.?

Being a champion in 2013 doesn’t mean a driver is on good form in 2020 - that’s the Vettel situation.

Hamilton just doesn’t have anyone to challenge him. If you listen to him tell the story then it sounds like he’s dragging a crap car around the track on bad tyres. But the fact is we just don’t know how good he is or isn’t and the number of championships only makes the question more interesting without answering it.

I think the top drivers are Hamilton and Max in the top category, then the likes of LeClerc, Ricciardo, and it gets harder to rank them after that. Sainz, Norris, Gasley, Russell could all be in the second tier but it’s too hard to judge their performance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

klose wrote: »

My two favorites would be Max and Leclerc.

Many believe that slightly above average drivers can win world championships given the right car.
    This is not a new theory.

Let’s not loose sight of the fact that Bottas had a different team mate even he could be leading the world championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

"So the next question is: To what do you attribute the performance gap from Leclerc back to Vettel?

Can you think of any ways to measure their relative performances which would paint Vettel in a positive light compared to his young teammate?"

How can I ( an outsider ) attribute the performance gap when the team cannot? :confused:

vectra wrote: »
    How can I ( an outsider ) attribute the performance gap when the team cannot? :confused:

Do you even know if there’s a gap between LeClerc and Vettel on recent form?

Has it occurred to you that one driver might just be faster than the other -y’know, the absolutely normal reason for a consistent performance gap between teammates?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seriously

tumblr_pu4mz7kNtD1vzhjwoo2_r1_500.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Do you even know if there’s a gap between LeClerc and Vettel on recent form?

Has it occurred to you that one driver might just be faster than the other -y’know, the absolutely normal reason for a consistent performance gap between teammates?
    I would say Leclerc is faster than Vettel but only because he is younger and has less fear. If you could take the Vettel from 8 years ago and put him beside Leclerc it could be a lot different and we would know for sure then if it's the vettel of now or the car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

AMKC wrote: »
    I would say Leclerc is faster than Vettel but only because he is younger and has less fear. If you could take the Vettel from 8 years ago and put him beside Leclerc it could be a lot different and we would know for sure then if it's the vettel of now or the car.

No point making a comparison between a young Vettel and a young LeClerc when's it's their current form that's being discussed. If you put LeClerc and Vettel in the exact same car, which for the record I've no reason to believe that is not currently the case, LeClerc would be/is faster.

I like Vettel, I don't like how Ferrari have treated him and I really hope he does well next year, but I can say, objectively, that LeClerc is currently a faster driver.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Seriously

tumblr_pu4mz7kNtD1vzhjwoo2_r1_500.gifv

Yeah, you’ve done that same gay-joke before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I thought only one of you were girls. It probably wasnt a gay joke in fairness. Duderino is feminine name but naturally presume everybody else is male for some reason.

This is it wrote: »
    No point making a comparison between a young Vettel and a young LeClerc when's it's their current form that's being discussed. If you put LeClerc and Vettel in the exact same car, which for the record I've no reason to believe that is not currently the case, LeClerc would be/is faster.

I like Vettel, I don't like how Ferrari have treated him and I really hope he does well next year, but I can say, objectively, that LeClerc is currently a faster driver.

This is precisely correct and it’s based on the observable evidence.

But isn’t it interesting to see the lengths people will go to deny the obvious truth? Some invent conspiracies about Ferrari sabotaging one of its drivers, giving him an inferior car - pretending we need to know where the time his lost before we can even observe the fact that he’s not as fast as LeClerc.

FWIW, I like Vettel too. But the question of a driver’s form isn’t about how likeable the driver is, it’s about how they’re performing on track. And Vettel is performing terribly in comparison to his young teammate.

Yeah and you've done the same Vettel is slow/Ferrari are cheaters shtick many many times before but that doesn't stop you.

I thought only one of you were girls. It probably wasnt a gay joke in fairness. Duderino is feminine name but naturally presume everybody else is male for some reason.
    Well, o at the end means it’s a masculine noun in Spanish. A would suggest feminine.
    Oh right, you know a lot of women named Duderino? Lol.

It was just a little gay-joke which the same poster enjoys doing.

Gay-jokes and Spanish nouns are all a bit off topic though, aren’t they?

Well, o at the end means it’s a masculine noun in Spanish. A would suggest feminine.

Not a gay-joke at all dont know or care what genitals you have and its irrelevant anyway.

The point is that your constant bickering and fixation on a poster and the tedious tit-for-tat is akin to a lovers tiff. It doesnt really matter if the lovers are gay/straight/bi when the sex is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Meh , couldnt be bothered with spanish stuff.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Yeah and you've done the same Vettel is slow/Ferrari are cheaters shtick many many times before but that doesn't stop you.

Yeah, it’s amazing that such an observable fact is a contested topic of discussion. Mad, isn’t it?

Not a gay-joke at all dont know or care what genitals you have and its irrelevant anyway.

The point is that your constant bickering and fixation on a poster and the tedious tit-for-tat is akin to a lovers tiff. It doesnt really matter if the lovers are gay/straight/bi when the sex is involved.

Sure, sure. If you do t like the chat, don’t take part in it. I’m not making you do anything you don’t want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm no particular fan of Lewis. But if he signed up with Red Bull for next year I would have a newfound respect for him! Then we can enjoy a race season watching the two 'top' drivers in the same machinery.

But alas, Lewis is drawing this out a little.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's an interesting question, if Hamilton moved to RB alongside Max, and Russell or Ocon moved to Merc, how would the 2021 drivers championship look? I'd say:

Max
    Hamilton
    Bottas
    Russell/Ocon

I wouldn't have much between Bottas and Russell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement