Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

afatbollix wrote: »
    One thing about Albon is that Red Bull is owned by a Thai family, The Yoovidhya family who I'd say is very happy that they have a Thai driver in a seat.

(I know he's British but he races with a Thai license and has a Thai flag on his car)

The Asian market is huge 4 times bigger than Europe. It makes marketing sense to have an Asian in the car.

I personally think they will keep him for next year.

Jacques Villeneuve agrees with you anyway!
    “He is only there through his passport, because he [Thai owner] owns half of the company and that’s why he is protected,”

He really does like to cause a stir in his interviews. Also said Albon was the worst second driver at Red Bull. Klein better keep his head down!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Kyvat had some speed when at redbull. He is possibly worth a shot again but not really what they need in the 2nd car. Hulk is the man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I did not know Red Bull were half Thai owned. Thought they were Austrian. Explains the patience in not sacking Albon for being worse than Gasly was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

recyclebin wrote: »
    I did not know Red Bull were half Thai owned. Thought they were Austrian. Explains the patience in not sacking Albon for being worse than Gasly was.

Me either until today. Well you know what they say. You learn something new ever day :):

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

recyclebin wrote: »

Krating Daeng came first, Mateschitz partnered with them to reformulate it and market it to Westerners.

I think the patience with Albon is more to do with (a) he wasn't as bad as Gasly had been initially even if he ended up worse, and (b) Red Bull didn't have anyone else ready to promote in his place. I feel a bit sorry for Albon now, he might have been up to it if he had a chance to develop as a driver in a less pressurized and more supportive environment, and it doesn't look like he will get another opportunity back in the junior team like Gasly and Kvyat had.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I do like the night races. Bahrain looks better at night than day in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

AMKC wrote: »
    True but he has improved since then.

Yes true if they pick Tsunoda them Alex is probably gone but I would put Tsunoda in the Alpha Tauri for a while and move Danill up to Red Bull still like I said before.
    I don't think he has improved as a driver, in overall terms. He's quick but erratic and hot-headed, certainly not the consistent type of performer Red Bull are looking for. The best thing they can do is leave Albon there for another year and see if he can toughen up mentally. That seems to be his problem rather than a lack of driving skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I wonder how many of the drivers will continue with the woke B.S with the knowledge they're (excluding the women and lgbt team members) will be going to be racing in Saudi Arabia next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Sheeps wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the drivers will continue with the woke B.S with the knowledge they're (excluding the women and lgbt team members) will be going to be racing in Saudi Arabia next year?

I know one fella who will be using his voice to advertise corporate brands while he pretends to care.

Ms

chicorytip wrote: »
    I don't think he has improved as a driver, in overall terms. He's quick but erratic and hot-headed, certainly not the consistent type of performer Red Bull are looking for. The best thing they can do is leave Albon there for another year and see if he can toughen up mentally. That seems to be his problem rather than a lack of driving skills.

I do. He does not take people out in races anymore for one and has had some good racing as well. Maybe he was erratic and hot-headed but not now. I think he would be a very good number two beside Verstappen now just what Red Bull need

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Sheeps wrote: »

I do not like that they are going there but also can not see them stopping the women members of any team or any lgbt members either as its doubtful they would know who is and it's not like that is anyone elsees business as that's private anyway. Also most of the PRs are Female.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Hope none of the lads were in Israel in the last few years or they'll be out the cost of a new passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I do not like that they are going there but also can not see them stopping the women members of any team or any lgbt members either as its doubtful they would know who is and it's not like that is anyone elsees business as that's private anyway. Also most of the PRs are Female.

If you were openly LGBT here would you go in the knowledge you could be imprisoned or executed if they caught you? The point is that it's not private business in Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There was no problem with women team members or press when Formula E was there a few years ago. Don't know if there's any openly LGBT+ members of that paddock though.

This is a good read actually: https://medium.com/@piratemoggy/what-its-actually-like-to-visit-riyadh-alone-for-formula-e-ce88cfc0f4cd

• Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Both Alfa Romeo (Ruth Buscombe) and Racing Point/Aston Martin (Bernie Collins - Irish) have female heads of strategy.

Racing Point also have at least one female mechanic and possibly another female engineer in the pit crew.

Kvyat is a weird one for me. I always felt he was hard done by.

His first full season with RB he finished ahead of Ricciardo in the standings. Had less finishes outside of the top 10 too. People may argue his car was more reliable and that Ricciardo out-qualified him (12-7) but I still thought it was a bright first season.

Ricciardo had just gotten out of beating Vettel the previous year, and he was (still is) one of the most competitive drivers on the grid.

Yes Kvyat wasn't perfect, but was looking promising. Helmut Marko was pushing and pushing him. I know he is demanding but it's not surprising Kvyat drove aggressively with Helmut pushing him towards that.

I think a lot of it had to do with who was next in line. Verstappen. He had all the talent, was wanted by the top teams, and there was pressure to promote him.

After the collision from Kvyat it offered them the best chance. Funny to think two races before he was dropped he was standing on the podium. Dropping him after 4 races always felt too soon to me, but it worked out in the long run with Max dominating.

Personally, still think people look back painting him as much worse than he was. Was he the finished product? No. Definitely not. But he had shown a lot of promise.

Delighted he's got back his swagger and his mentality has improved. Seeing the same for Gasly in my mind. Two drivers with chips on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The FIA are banning use of 3D imaging or forms of scanning to replicate other teams' aero designs. Which is a bit rich since development over the years is all based on copying designs. How in hell will any team catch up with Merc if they can't copy the idea and make it better.

Conversely, Racing Point did a good copy of the Merc but really haven't been at the races since the first few races this year.

I don't know, is banning this technique a good idea to limit teams how they develope their cars?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I don't see how it would make them look like donkeys, he has improved over the last two seasons, no harm to give him a cracking of the whip.

The only thing is why were Albon and Gasly so much better in the Alphatauri than in the RB?
    Less pressure I'd imagine

• Advertisement

For fun, what's your top 5 in order favourite drivers at the moment, not necessarily the best
    Mine would be
    Danny ric
    Lando
    Gasly
    Albon
    Ocon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ikozma wrote: »
    For fun, what's your top 5 in order favourite drivers at the moment, not necessarily the best
    Mine would be
    Danny ric
    Lando
    Gasly
    Albon
    Ocon

Ricciardo
    Albon
    Norris
    Sainz
    Leclerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Räikkönen
    Verstappen
    Vettel
    Ricciardo
    Grosjean

I used to hate Verstappen but if I'm remembering correctly he didn't Kneel at the first few races and his comments on the last race or two improved my opinion of him, saying things that normal people say and not giving a **** about PR/PC ****e.
    I think I might like Vettel and Grosjean as extensions of Kimi when they were racing with him.

GarIT wrote: »
    Räikkönen
    Verstappen
    Vettel
    Ricciardo
    Grosjean

I used to hate Verstappen but if I'm remembering correctly he didn't Kneel at the first few races and his comments on the last race or two improved my opinion of him.
    I think I might like Vettel and Grosjean as extensions of Kimi when they were racing with him.

You like the grumpy type obviously lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Danny Ric
    Norris
    LeClerc
    Vettel
    Hamilton

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You like the grumpy type obviously lol!

Except ricciardo. It's so tough, I'd probably include lando as 6, and Hulk and Alonso if they counted.

Danny ríc seems very popular, I'm happy about that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Danny ríc seems very popular, I'm happy about that
    It's very hard to dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Mine would be
    Danny ric
    Lando
    Gasly
    Albon
    Ocon

LeClerc
    Ricardo
    Sainz
    Gasly
    Norris

Special mention for Vettel too, big fan

• Advertisement

Mine would be
    Danny ric
    Lando
    Gasly
    Albon
    Ocon

It’s promising that so many people have the young future drivers there!

For me it’s:
    Lando
    Ricciardo
    Sainz
    Russell
    Vettel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement