Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

pjohnson wrote: »
    It doesnt stop the thread being dragged to shíte with the soapboxing. And this is the only thread for the 2020 season so when its dragged to the gutter by that one poster it affects the whole thread on everyone else.

Two posters!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Kimi
    Ricciardo
    Norris
    Russell
    Vettel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

astrofluff wrote: »
    Conversely, Racing Point did a good copy of the Merc but really haven't been at the races since the first few races this year...

Seems like since the legal challenge they went to shįt. Shame, it was a promising start but they’ve obviously made some change even though they were told they could keep using those brake ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I usually support the McLaren drivers and ex drivers so:
    Norris
    Sainz
    Kimi
    Perez
    Magnussen
    Hamilton

I'll add Ricciardo to my list next season but this season he's the competition for third in constructors. Alonso is probably the only ex McLaren that I dislike due to his toxic attitude in both stints he had at the team. I probably won't be cheering for Sainz next season as Ferrari are probably my least favourite team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Ikozma wrote: »
    For fun, what's your top 5 in order favourite drivers at the moment, not necessarily the best
    Mine would be
    Danny ric
    Lando
    Gasly
    Albon
    Ocon

Perez
    Leclerc
    Verstappen
    Norris
    Ricciardo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 aidyhawse

Räikkönen
    Ricciardo
    Sainz
    Vettel
    Hülkenberg (Done a few races this year so technically counts in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

my list is odd

Vettel
    Sainz
    Kyvatt
    Gasly
    Riccardo

I suddenly realise they are all EX Redbull , No affiliation for the Top 3 looking at the lists . I can only assume is cause we don't actually see them race , just drive off into the sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Ricciardo
    Vettel
    Sainz
    Norris
    Albon.. I like the guy. I wish things went better for him.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Daniel Ricciardo
    Lando Norris,
    Carlos Seinz,
    Charles Leclerc,
    George Russel

And Nico Hulkenberg too but only 6th because he is not full time racing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Two posters!

NONE now since the ONE has apparently stopped posting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,613 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm very interested to see how competitive Renault/Alpine will be next year. Renault have generally had a brilliant 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

vectra wrote: »
    ONE now since the OTHER ONE has apparently stopped posting :D

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm very interested to see how competitive Renault/Alpine will be next year. Renault have generally had a brilliant 2020.
    They have impressed me this year. Still need to get on top of reliability issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Same here, I've a soft spot for Renault team since Alonso days, my fav driver is Danny ric so I'll be torn between him with mclaren and Renault/Alonso again nxt year, should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Enzo Ferrari, in his last year's, was always told about the next miracle engine, that never materialized

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Isn't Dyno the name of Toyota's mini flatbed vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

flazio wrote: »
    Isn't Dyno the name of Toyota's mini flatbed vans?

Dyna

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Kimi
    Seb
    Gasly
    Russell
    Ricciardo

Including Alonso next year would put him at #1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Perez
    Ricciardo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,228 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

chicorytip wrote: »
    Russell, at present, would have to rank below Ricciardo and even Ocon simply based on results. He has yet to score a championship point which is mostly due to having an inadequate car but is a barrier to gaining promotion. Bottas had a good track record at Williams. The mistake Russell made at Imola was alarming and would cause doubts about him among potential employers.

You an't compare the 2014 williams with the 2020 williams. The former was towards the top of the car/engine rankings, the latter is towards the bottom.

Russel has great quali pace, that's pretty clear (he has never been out qualified by either F1 teammate) but his race pace is not as fast. Hard to know if it's the car or his own skill that lets him down in the race.

But the fact that he hasn't scored a point is neither here nor there, nor is the fact that Kubica did score a point in spite of being embarrassingly off the Russell's pace. We need to see Russell in another car and against a teammate who is a known quantity.

Russel has great quali pace, that's pretty clear (he has never been out qualified by either F1 teammate) but his race pace is not as fast. Hard to know if it's the car or his own skill that lets him down in the race.

Aside from the odd mistake and a lot of external causes (car failure, safety car) I can't recall Russell not running ahead of a teammate in a race. Obviously can argue about his mistakes but his pure race pace seems excellent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Still no news from Red Bull as regards next years drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They are in no rush. They can chose Albon, Perez or Hulkenberg whenever they want. Four more races to go so they will probably not announce anything until the end of the season.

The only thing that would upset that plan is if Hamilton calls it quits. That would open up a big merry go round. I'd say a lot of drivers have exit clauses if Mercedes come knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They have confirmed Max, Gastly and Tsunoda (on condition he gets his super licence which he only needs to do two F1 practice sessions to get). At the last race either Ted or Crofty said RB have said they are waiting until the end of the season to confirm the final seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I dunno? Gasly going to redbull again?? Sometimes things ain't ment to be

Aside from the odd mistake and a lot of external causes (car failure, safety car) I can't recall Russell not running ahead of a teammate in a race. Obviously can argue about his mistakes but his pure race pace seems excellent to me.

That’s probably down to the fact that his first teammate was a joke (efforts to get back in a seat were great, but his performance level was a joke). And he always out-qualified his teammate so he starts ahead every single time. But I think he hasn’t had great race pace compared to teammates.

Last year he would often out-qualify Kubica by half a second and would start second last. Kubica sometimes managed to get ahead of him in races. Russell was much faster but didn’t always overtake. When roles were reversed Russell would scarper a way from Kubica at half a second a lap again.

But I think if you watch Russell in a race, you’d see he’s not as good as his qualifying pace suggests. But that could be the car or he might set up for quali rather than the race.

We can hope it’s true but we can’t believe it just because Ferrari said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ikozma wrote: »
    I dunno? Gasly going to redbull again?? Sometimes things ain't ment to be

I doubt it. I would say it will be Gasly and Tsuondo at Alpha Tauri with Max and Danill kyvat at Red Bull.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement