Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Harika wrote: »
    Now who is getting the cockpit for the last race? Fittipaldi, Schumacher, mazepin?

Fittipaldi is a waste of time. No challenge to Kmag and won’t be in the car next yea r get Schumacher in there if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

AMKC wrote: »
    You would think letting Schumacher race in that race would be a good idea get him ready for next season get some data on him maybe he might even be faster than Fittipaldi but then maybe he would be faster after have done a weekend in the car already.Be interesting to see what Haas do at Abi Dubai alright.

They have 2 new drivers for next season don't forget, it wouldn't be a good start to having some kind of healthy team dynamic if you gave a head start to one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Bit of a no-brainer to have Schumacher in the Haas car before the end of the season, but I'd fear that'll put a bit too much pressure on him. He's had a fairly busy two years in the feeder series.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton has to return 4 negative covid tests by Thursday to take part next week but still has symptoms. Can't see him in Abu Dhabi next week

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Hamilton has to return 4 negative covid tests by Thursday to take part next week but still has symptoms. Can't see him in Abu Dhabi next week

Sure George Russel won't mind that if it means him in the Merc for one more weekend.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Sure George Russel won't mind that if it means him in the Merc for one more weekend.

Really hope he gets another weekend after that. Got his first points but I’d imagine that’s absolutely no consolation

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Checo interviewed there saying he has a seat for 2022 and might take a year out (well he might be forced to).

Checo interviewed there saying he has a seat for 2022 and might take a year out (well he might be forced to).

Ocon contract with Renault runs til end of 2021. That's a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Isn't Gasly on Renaults Radar . Pretty sure that was said earlier in the year that he was probably signed for 22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

He Said if not 2021 then 2022, didn't mention anything about a guaranteed seat.
    For red bull really hard to not pick Perez. Proven race winner at the height of his possibilities with cash. Albon can be parked some where.

• Advertisement

If he has a seat for 2022 then it must be Ocon’s seat in Renault.

And if he doesn’t have a seat for next year then Albon is a very lucky boy.

Did he actually say he doesn’t have a seat for next year and does have a seat for 2022?

Harika wrote: »
    He Said if not 2021 then 2022, didn't mention anything about a guaranteed seat.
    For red bull really hard to not pick Perez. Proven race winner at the height of his possibilities with cash. Albon can be parked some where.

Yeah that’s what I thought he said. I didn’t think he confirmed anything.

Yeah that’s what I thought he said. I didn’t think he confirmed anything.

I think he said he has more options in 2022 as there appears to be a lot of drivers out of contract at the end of 2021

Ocon
    Norris (?)
    Bottas
    Hamilton might quit

If Red Bull stick with Albon and he stinks the place out early next season Checo could be getting a phone call

I think he said he has more options in 2022 as there appears to be a lot of drivers out of contract at the end of 2021

Ocon
    Norris (?)
    Bottas
    Hamilton might quit

If Red Bull stick with Albon and he stinks the place out early next season Checo could be getting a phone call

I would put my money on him joining red bull for next year.
    Else for
    Ocon - earmarked for gasly
    Norris - would not see him in a danger spot right now
    Bottas - Russell
    Hamilton - Russell and Mercedes won't swap both drivers, anyway Russell 2022 at Mercedes is given
    Realistically at Alfa if shwartzman is not promoted
    So his best bet to get a more competitive drive and just not to stay at the grid is red bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

If you're Helmut Marko, you're probably having to think about what would taking Perez say to the drivers you have in the academy? It's a long time since RB have gone outside of their own family for a driver, and if they start doing it now, then there has to be some young drivers who would start worrying that they won't have as guaranteed a route as they were promised when they signed up.

There's also the question of who would want to actually go head to head with Max? He's a clear number 1 now and Red Bull have lost a couple of very good drivers in Sainz and Ricciardo who I'm sure they'd have back in a heartbeat if they could right now

If you're Helmut Marko, you're probably having to think about what would taking Perez say to the drivers you have in the academy? It's a long time since RB have gone outside of their own family for a driver, and if they start doing it now, then there has to be some young drivers who would start worrying that they won't have as guaranteed a route as they were promised when they signed up.

There's also the question of who would want to actually go head to head with Max? He's a clear number 1 now and Red Bull have lost a couple of very good drivers in Sainz and Ricciardo who I'm sure they'd have back in a heartbeat if they could right now

They need a driver in the 2nd car who can fcuk with the Mercs strategy. Albon starting in a different timezone most weeks makes that impossible.

They need a driver in the 2nd car who can fcuk with the Mercs strategy. Albon starting in a different timezone most weeks makes that impossible.

Tbf, they had the drivers for that and let them go. Be very interesting to see what happens whenever Max leaves the stable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It was ironic watch Lance Stroll on Sky singing Checo's praises for the amazing guy he is and the great job he does for the team week in week out. Yeah, so why are you shafting him? Vettel's form has been ****e over the past season (not helped at all today by two farcical pitstops by the crew), and you can say it's the car and politics at Ferrari, but the main reason RP chose him seems to be down to money. Taking about a 90% drop in salary to join them and all the related benefits for Aston Martin of having him there, but Checo's stock has been on the rise.

It's a cruel sport at times.

I think the red bull academy is a bit of a golden cage. They have a great opportunity but they don’t have sponsorship like a normal driver so if they don’t make it they’re fcuked.

They have squandered a lot of talent over the years and they’ve lost the two you mentioned above. They have Gasley doing great at AT and crumbled in the RB. Same with Albon. I’d really wonder what they want an academy for. They might as well just buy in top drivers because they make a balls of nurturing the good drivers they bring through.

I think the red bull academy is a bit of a golden cage. They have a great opportunity but they don’t have sponsorship like a normal driver so if they don’t make it they’re fcuked.

They have squandered a lot of talent over the years and they’ve lost the two you mentioned above. They have Gasley doing great at AT and crumbled in the RB. Same with Albon. I’d really wonder what they want an academy for. They might as well just buy in top drivers because they make a balls of nurturing the good drivers they bring through.

Gasly will not be back in a Red Bull, or if he is, it'll be because he's the absolute only option left. I can see why they want an academy to save on having to pay big salaries to sign a driver, but the quality is diminishing quickly ever since the super licence rules were changed. I don't think there's many of the Red Bull drivers who've come up through the academy who would have qualified for one today.

I think they're trying to show with Albon that they've learned from their mistakes with Gasly and are willing to give him time, but Horner's headshaking yesterday said enough. I don't think they want to have Gasly back in the main team and have him fail again a second time. That does more damage than what Albon is currently doing

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

It was ironic watch Lance Stroll on Sky singing Checo's praises for the amazing guy he is and the great job he does for the team week in week out. Yeah, so why are you shafting him? Vettel's form has been ****e over the past season (not helped at all today by two farcical pitstops by the crew), and you can say it's the car and politics at Ferrari, but the main reason RP chose him seems to be down to money. Taking about a 90% drop in salary to join them and all the related benefits for Aston Martin of having him there, but Checo's stock has been on the rise.

It's a cruel sport at times.

Hold on, Stroll isn't shafting him, his father is. Stroll wants to drive, he's hardly going to hand his ticket over to Perez.

This is it wrote: »
    Hold on, Stroll isn't shafting him, his father is. Stroll wants to drive, he's hardly going to hand his ticket over to Perez.

Lawrence stroll was on sky F1 today, likely meant him.
    Was quite sympathetic until he bloated "my cash injection" "my leadership skills" besides that said what a CEO is expected to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Exactly. It's not his fault his father is a billionaire who can buy a team to keep him in the sport.

He's hardly going to buy a team and then boot him out the door.

Gasly will not be back in a Red Bull, or if he is, it'll be because he's the absolute only option left. I can see why they want an academy to save on having to pay big salaries to sign a driver, but the quality is diminishing quickly ever since the super licence rules were changed. I don't think there's many of the Red Bull drivers who've come up through the academy who would have qualified for one today.

I think they're trying to show with Albon that they've learned from their mistakes with Gasly and are willing to give him time, but Horner's headshaking yesterday said enough. I don't think they want to have Gasly back in the main team and have him fail again a second time. That does more damage than what Albon is currently doing

I think most people would rate Gasley above Albon but they’ve given Albon time and chucked Gasley out. Their approach is all over the shop.

I would prefer to see Gasley in a red bull, or go his own way with Renault. Will Buxton seems to know something about Perez so hopefully he has that RB seat next year.

Sorry, my mistake. I did, of course, mean Lawrence.

While I’m delighted for Perez, this win shouldn’t be mistaken for Perez being a top driver. He’s alright. At least average and while he’s a pay driver, he’s not there only because he’s a pay driver. And he generally comes across as a good lad.

But let’s not pretend he was the best driver today. He was incredibly lucky and lots of the faster drivers/cars were eliminated for one reason or another. I think anyone would want him to get a seat next year and this win is great for a story arc, it doesn’t change anything.

He’s a grand driver and this win will lead to outrageous exaggeration of his ability. But I wouldn’t get carried away.

While I’m delighted for Perez, this win shouldn’t be mistaken for Perez being a top driver. He’s alright. At least average and while he’s a pay driver, he’s not there only because he’s a pay driver. And he generally comes across as a good lad.

But let’s not pretend he was the best driver today. He was incredibly lucky and lots of the faster drivers/cars were eliminated for one reason or another. I think anyone would want him to get a seat next year and this win is great for a story arc, it doesn’t change anything.

He’s a grand driver and this win will lead to outrageous exaggeration of his ability. But I wouldn’t get carried away.

Fair enough, but I think if Lewis or George had come back from 18th after a collision to win we'd never hear the end of it. If Bottas did it, though, he wouldn't get any credit from some here.

Yes, two big drivers were out in that same collision and yes, Merc spectacularly fecked up, but Checo rarely makes mistakes and today he drove a flawless race. That's all anyone can do. He certainly deserves to be driving ahead of the likes of Latifi, who's only there for his funding.

Yes, two big drivers were out in that same collision and yes, Merc spectacularly fecked up, but Checo rarely makes mistakes and today he drove a flawless race. That's all anyone can do. He certainly deserves to be driving ahead of the likes of Latifi, who's only there for his funding.

Ah here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Just watched the race there now, wow what a crazy amazing race, I feel so bad for Russell though, what the hell happened at that pitstop?
    Also why did they put hard tyres on bottas for last few laps?
    Delighted for Perez and Ocon though but poor George must be sick, did he really have a puncture though???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement