Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Joeface wrote: »
    I took google this is probably the list that is the most accurate
    Some had Gasly and Kvyat on 5 and 2million respective . I doubt that .
    I am sure there is a big difference for some of these guys
    so if Williams are Paying George 175K that 750k below is a decent bump up
    I am sure the list has massive pinch of salt throw in

1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) : € 47m
    2. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) : € 35m
    3. Daniel Ricciardo (Renault) : € 20m
    4. Max Verstappen (RBR): € 16m
    5. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) : € 9m
    6. Charles Leclerc ( Ferrari ): € 9m
    7. Kimi Raikkonen ( Alfa Romeo ): € 6m
    8. Carlos Sainz (McLaren) : € 4.5m
    9. Sergio Perez ( Racing Point ): € 4m
    10. Esteban Ocon ( Renault ) : € 4m
    11. Romain Grosjean (Haas) : € 2m
    12. Kevin Magnussen (Haas) : € 2m
    13. Alex Albon (RBR) : € 2m
    14. Lando Norris (McLaren) : € 1.5m
    15. Lance Stroll (Racing Point) : € 1.5m
    16. Pierre Gasly (Alpha Tauri) : € 1m
    17. Daniil Kvyat (STR) : € 750,000
    18. George Russell ( Williams ): € 750,000
    19. Nicholas Latifi ( Williams) : € 750,000
    20. Antonio Giovinazzi ( Alfa Romeo): € 500,000
    The figures for Alfa are believed to be in the order of Raikkonen €3m and Giovinazzi €1. €6m would be a lot for a medium sized team to pay. No F1 driver would take home less than a million per season. That's why so many of them move to Monaco. Still, those figures are chicken feed compared to what even second division footballers can earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Max Verstappen (RBR): € 16m
    Thought this would be more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,561 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,601 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pedro Piquet has claimed that Ilott had a contract signed with Haas for 2021 but Mazepin muscled in and took the seat anyway.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If I'm interpreting the BBC teams reaction to this correct, I think they are expecting Mazipan senior to buy Gene Haas out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Infoanon

flazio wrote: »
    If I'm interpreting the BBC teams reaction to this correct, I think they are expecting Mazipan senior to buy Gene Haas out.

Haas is for sale and iirc Mazepin Snr did try to buy out Williams so the story makes sense.

Alpha Tauri are also believed to be for sale at the right price.

There is a breaking story about Mazepin regarding inappropriate behaviour and Haas have issued a statement using the term 'abhorrent ' behaviour - Mazepins drive is now pprobably in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He's sorry it got posted on social media....I bet he is. Sorry not sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭This is it

Apparently tried to grab a woman's breast as she pushed his hand away, then posted a video of it to Instagram... Bar the obvious issue with grabbing anyone, he's not the brightest posting it to social media.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/09/haas-condemns-abhorrent-mazepin-social-media-video/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What an absolute moron. That could be his f1 drive gone unless daddy buys the team first a la stroll snr

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭CRI0ST0IR

Should be sacked. There is no place for him in a sport like this.

FIA will need to be seen to act so a suspension of his race licence is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That type of action boils my blood. I don't mind a dickhead of a driver on track. He's clearly an even bigger one off the track. He's not fit for the sport of Formula 1.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,601 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well if Piquet was correct then Ilott will make it to F1.

Far prefer him to Mazepin on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just to add, I saw he has 11 points on his license in F2 after last weekend's dangerous blocking. Does that mean he'll carry those 11 points into next year on a Superlicense?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In the current climate that video will lead to him being "cancelled". Finally, I have found a part of "cancel culture" that I agree with!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭CRI0ST0IR

Mazepin is dangerous on and off the track clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

vectra wrote: »
    Chery picked?
    You are a joke.:pac:
    So Vettel beat Charles by a tenth but you say he matched him?
    You are one confusing dude.:D

Which race did you "cherry pick" that from?

I consider teammates qualifying within half a tenth of each other to be matching each other.

So lets not cherry pick events. Lets look at head to heads for the season
    Quali: Vettel 4, Leclerc 12
    Race: Vettel 5, Leclerc 9
    points scored: Vettel 33 and 13th, Leclerc 98 and 6th.

What does that tell you about relative pace?

Why do you think Bottas is so far behind Hamilton, Albon behind Max and Vettel behind LeClerc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I consider teammates qualifying within half a tenth of each other to be matching each other.

So lets not cherry pick events. Lets look at head to heads for the season
    Quali: Vettel 4, Leclerc 12
    Race: Vettel 5, Leclerc 9
    points scored: Vettel 33 and 13th, Leclerc 98 and 6th.

What does that tell you about relative pace?

Why do you think Bottas is so far behind Hamilton, Albon behind Max and Vettel behind LeClerc?

You're negating the factor that different cars suit different driving styles. Some drivers prefer cars with oversteer (like Schumacher) some prefer cars with understeer (like Alonso), some drivers are kind to their tyres etc etc etc

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    You're negating the factor that different cars suit different driving styles. Some drivers prefer cars with oversteer (like Schumacher) some prefer cars with understeer (like Alonso), some drivers are kind to their tyres etc etc etc

So is your point that the car just doesn't suit Albon and Bottas and Vettel?

I've heard loads of people claim to know that the Ferrari doesn't suit Vettel, but how do you know it suits Leclerc? Leclerc said the car doesn't suit him so he adapted his driving style and now he can drag great performances out of it and thrash Vettel who is driving the same car.

Serious question: how do you know the Ferrari doesn't suit Vettel and does suit Leclerc?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Serious question: how do you know the Ferrari doesn't suit Vettel and does suit Leclerc?

Because it is well known that Vettel doesn't cope well with a car with a loose rear

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Because it is well known that Vettel doesn't cope well with a car with a loose rear

Ok so you're pointing to a weakness in Vettel's ability to drive a type of car. But what about the second half of the question? Why do you think it suits Leclerc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The best drivers get the best out of a car regardless. Le Clerc, Verstappen and Ricciardo have proved this compared to their team mates this season. The fact that Vettel has struggled the last two seasons is very concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭klose

I suppose we won't really know what state vettel is in untill the end of next season when he does a full season at racing point/Aston Martin, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love losses between himself and ferrari so maybe he's just not arsed? His pit crew really aren't helping his case this season, couple of absolute sh!t shows for some stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭This is it

klose wrote: »
    I suppose we won't really know what state vettel is in untill the end of next season when he does a full season at racing point/Aston Martin, doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love losses between himself and ferrari so maybe he's just not arsed? His pit crew really aren't helping his case this season, couple of absolute sh!t shows for some stops.

Their stops, their strategy. As bad as the car has been, they do themselves no favours. I can't understand it at all

klose wrote: »

I think not being arsed precludes him from being a top driver. If his performances were brilliant and her were getting the maximum out of the car, then he could be as nonchalant as he likes. But performing poorly, being hammered by his teammate and not getting anything like the full pace out of the car while not being arsed, means hes not a top driver at the moment. He might not even be mid tier at the moment based on his last two seasons.

If he's similar performance level to Stroll next year, I expect people to start saying Stroll is a top driver and Vettel is also a top driver and the car is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So is your point that the car just doesn't suit Albon and Bottas and Vettel?

I've heard loads of people claim to know that the Ferrari doesn't suit Vettel, but how do you know it suits Leclerc? Leclerc said the car doesn't suit him so he adapted his driving style and now he can drag great performances out of it and thrash Vettel who is driving the same car.

A cars specific nuances suits a drivers inherant skills and I've given you two very well documented examples, so it stands to reason that this could be an influence in vettles form, just because you can't grasp this concept doesn't mean it doesn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

This little prick at Haas needs to go. There is no room in F1, or anywhere in life for people that think its OK to sexually assault people. Haas have plenty of other options

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    A cars specific nuances suits a drivers inherant skills and I've given you two very well documented examples, so it stands to reason that this could be an influence in vettles form, just because you can't grasp this concept doesn't mean it doesn't exist

If it's all so simple then this bit in bold should be easy to build into your explanation and I shouldn't need to keep asking the same simple question over again.

The reality is that a good driver like Leclerc is adapting his driving to the car and getting some great performances out of it. Vettel isn't doing likewise either because he totally could do it but he doesn't want to, or he can't do it.

Do you make the same excuses for Albon and Bottas, for example? The usual conclusion when one teammate is miles ahead of the other in every metric is pretty clear-cut and doesn't need any special appeals to the car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement