Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Only shame is they are using the F1 game which is nowhere near as good as iRacing 2 or Rfactor 2! For those playing on PC like Lando its a shítty console port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

http://multitwitch.tv/iamcharlesleclerc16/nicholas_latifi/landonorris/gr63

Handy way to view some of the F1 drivers who are streaming on Twitch in one place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I saw on Twitter this morning that Pastor Maldonado will not be continuing to race in any virtual Grand Prix races. Apparently his computer keeps crashing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Helmut Marko confirms plans to hold Austria GP are progressing. It's with the Austrian government atm to verify under which conditions the races could be held. Race 2 would be on Wednesday with qualifying on Tuesday. As sunset is quite late then, could be late afternoon race.
    https://sport.orf.at/stories/3061893/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Harika wrote: »
    Helmut Marko confirms plans to hold Austria GP are progressing. It's with the Austrian government atm to verify under which conditions the races could be held. Race 2 would be on Wednesday with qualifying on Tuesday. As sunset is quite late then, could be late afternoon race.
    https://sport.orf.at/stories/3061893/

Double Austrian and Double Silverstone races would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I hope it only ends up being decent tracks that have the double headers

I'd be happy with double Austria, UK or Belgium. If they do double France or Hungary I wouldn't be a fan. Would imagine they won't go near Spain or Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I'd be happy with double Austria, UK or Belgium. If they do double France or Hungary I wouldn't be a fan. Would imagine they won't go near Spain or Italy

Why not ? , risk is equal to going to eg Silverstone.

Austria imho is an awful circuit and is only on the calendar for Red Bulls needs .The circuit is very narrow and getting around as a fan is a pain.

I wouldn't pay to much attention what Marko was saying - it's politicing with Helmut trying to put the responsibility for the race taking place in the Austrian governments hands . It's all about money - most races depend on packed stands for the promoters / circuit owners to break even - if the race was to happen behind closed doors who is going to make up the difference.

That Mark later goes to talk about having the support races on etc tells you how far removed from the reality his current position is.

A far more concerning story is Claire Williams confirming that it is critical for Williams to race this year - this would tie in with McLaren saying 4 teams are at risk of going out of business

Getting around as fan won't be an issue this year as no fans allowed, that's for sure.
    And it's not for granted that 2021 F1 can race in front of a crowd. Red bull, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain will be in a better position than Silverstone, Mexico as they depend less on spectators.
    Wondering who the four teams are, Williams, Haas for sure. McLaren eventually, who else?

Infoanon wrote: »
    Why not ? , risk is equal to going to eg Silverstone.

Probably is now, I suppose I was thinking of who was the visible front 2 in Europe

Spain I wouldn't mind missing at all in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

David Coulthard is on Newstalk now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why not Hungary? It is a great track that always has entertaining races.
    Getting around as fan won't be an issue this year as no fans allowed, that's for sure.
    And it's not for granted that 2021 F1 can race in front of a crowd. Red bull, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain will be in a better position than Silverstone, Mexico as they depend less on spectators.
    Wondering who the four teams are, Williams, Haas for sure. McLaren eventually, who else?

Renault unfortunately maybe. Would not be good to be seen spending millions on an F1 team in the middle of a recession. I am hoping they do not have to leave but the might have too. Mercedes possibly as well.
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    David Coulthard is on Newstalk now.

Was it any good? What did he talk about?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Why not Hungary? It is a great track that always has entertaining races.

Its fine but I wouldn't like to see 2 of them like is talked about for others, if there was a European leg to be missed to accommodate 2 races at multiple tracks then I wouldn't mind missing it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In fairness I'd be all for an 8-9 race season made up of old hockenheim, spa, hungary, monza, monaco, and canada. Finished in Brazil

ELM327 wrote: »
    In fairness I'd be all for an 8-9 race season made up of old hockenheim, spa, hungary, monza, monaco, and canada. Finished in Brazil

A 9 race calendar containing Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Interlagos would be good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

I would love 2 races in Baku, it will be wild (and immensely enjoyable)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,228 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

https://overcast.fm/+GUSogOmaU

There's not much f1 news but this is a very interesting chat with both Joe Saward and Matt Carter (former lotus team boss). Lots of inside gossip.

Best bit so far is that f1 marshals sometimes travel to help new countries to learn on the job. Baku had marshals come from Bahrain so they ended up with separate suni and Shia marshal stations at different corners and they ended up having punch ups between them!

Also some more context on wolff buying shares in Aston Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Harking back to my Formula 1 97 days, do 2 races per weekend, but have the second race the opposite direction :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

AMKC wrote: »

Was it any good? What did he talk about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlezDsylHYs

is on youtube. Was ok, nothing we haven't heard before to be honest. Particularly if you've listened to DC on Beyond the Grid podcast.

https://youtu.be/B6rWciKjf0M
    Suzuka GP of 1994, conditions so bad nowadays won't be started. Schumacher looking like doing warm up laps.

https://overcast.fm/+GUSogOmaU

There's not much f1 news but this is a very interesting chat with both Joe Saward and Matt Carter (former lotus team boss). Lots of inside gossip.

Best bit so far is that f1 marshals sometimes travel to help new countries to learn on the job. Baku had marshals come from Bahrain so they ended up with separate suni and Shia marshal stations at different corners and they ended up having punch ups between them!

Also some more context on wolff buying shares in Aston Martin

Pretty sure one of the Middle East races was (may still be) marshalled by Brits flown over for the event. Nice wee nixer. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Just do a double header, two races a weekend.

Are they proposing any track differences for these double-races? I'm prob in the minority, but theoretically why would a second race finish any differently from the preceding race, unless there's some sort of difference? The potential for a double-snooze fest seems really high (depending on where obviously). Even at that, wouldn't the condensed format mean they'd need to bring a LOT of spare parts, as they're risking a crash in race 1 affecting the ability to participate in a second race?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Suzuka GP of 1994, conditions so bad nowadays won't be started. Schumacher looking like doing warm up laps.
    Yes watched that yesterday. Crazy stuff.

Better spectacle to have the race than to run behind SC and as it turned out, very nearly changed the WDC outcome that year.

Pretty sure one of the Middle East races was (may still be) marshalled by Brits flown over for the event. Nice wee nixer. :pac:

Yeah could do a lot worse for a week away.

Another but that came up in the podcast was the funding model for different races.

An unusual example is Montreal. They said a million people go to Montreal for the long weekend without ever visiting the track. There are street parties, and every pub, restaurant hotel and service business does great out of the weekend. So the Grand Prix is mostly funded by the city, state and federal government as they make it all back through sales tax and employment. In other words, Social distancing and no fans in attendance means no Grand Prix funding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Canada 2011 on Sky F1 at the moment, Button and Alonso just made contact with each other. Alonso out and Button down in 21st - race over, I'd say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

There are a few segments on Sky Sport F1 Youtube that were meant to go out over the weekend of Melbourne race

Newest from Austria is that a double race on two following weekends is looking more and more likely.

Newest from Austria is that a double race on two following weekends is looking more and more likely.

I presume they're being realistic and not pretending there will be fans? And when are they talking about it taking place?

I presume they're being realistic and not pretending there will be fans? And when are they talking about it taking place?

No fans, no journalists 2000 people still seems needed to run the show. Tests taken before entering the country.

No fans, no journalists 2000 people still seems needed to run the show. Tests taken before entering the country.

Sounds very sensible. They said they won't have any exhibition races unless they can have a championship minimum 8races) but I wonder if they would have a few exhibition races. Sky would be delighted with a bit of exclusive LIVE sport. I'd say people will pay for live sport and I'd say it would suit a lot of stakeholders to have a few races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone else here this before. What could have been.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/58622/barrichello-was-almost-hamilton-s-teammate-williams-was-already-counting-on-me-.html

In the end do I think Jenson Button there was the right person even if he did not win a WDC there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement