Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A lot of breaking news in Germany that Seb and Ferrari have ended negotiations and he leaves at the end of 2020.

Sainz favourite ahead of Ricciardo to go to Ferrari for 2021. Vettel then replacing his replacement at McLaren/Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Announcement tomorrow.

Swap with McLaren looks likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Big fan of Sainz, would love to see him in the Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This is it wrote: »
    Big fan of Sainz, would love to see him in the Ferrari
    His daddy was an excellent really driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I know I'd prefer to see Ricciardo get the Ferrari seat myself, I'd hate for his career and title winning chances to totally fizzle out at Renault like it looks

In any case anyone joining Ferrari has to know they're the clear No.2, it would be a pity for any promising driver like Sainz to come in and have to play wingman

Hulkenberg to Ferrari anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

With all of that weight off his shoulders, I wonder if he'll finally be in the right frame of mind to go off and win another Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hulkenberg to Ferrari anyone?
    Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yup, looks like Vettel is off. Another one bites the dust at Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Worth noting that McLaren will be using Merc units next year as well.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Worth noting that McLaren will be using Merc units next year as well.

I could see Merc wanting to try and place Russell in at McLaren. This is surely his last year at Williams. Maybe Vettel moves to Renault but cant see him at McLaren tbh.

And McLaren doubling down on two young British drivers would probably appeal to them aswell tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Vettel is officially gone. Now the silly season starts:
    Sainz and Ric should b first contenders, with long shot of Hamilton. Surprise Kimi or Alonso

Harika wrote: »
    Vettel is officially gone. Now the silly season starts:
    Sainz and Ric should b first contenders, with long shot of Hamilton. Surprise Kimi or Alonso

Think the only realistic long shot/suprise would be Hulkenberg coming back to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Not a hope.

Absolutely not a hope. Why would they bother? Hulk might have been a good driver and might have been worth a seat in a top team as a no.2 at some earlier point in his career. But not anymore.

Absolutely not a hope. Why would they bother? Hulk might have been a good driver and might have been worth a seat in a top team as a no.2 at some earlier point in his career. But not anymore.

If they want a number two for two years he *might* be on the radar. Sainz would be a longer term signing.

I'd say they are annoyed they cant get to see how Shwartzman and Armstrong were doing in F2 before deciding who gets next years Alfa seat after Kimi.

pjohnson wrote: »
    If they want a number two for two years he *might* be on the radar. Sainz would be a longer term signing.

I'd say they are annoyed they cant get to see how Shwartzman and Armstrong were doing in F2 before deciding who gets next years Alfa seat after Kimi.

Highly unlikely. They would be picking a slower driver on purpose. Sainz and D-ric are both likely to be slightly slower than CL. They might best him a few times over the season but your expect CL to come out on top. That's as close to a No2 driver as they'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

No surprise at all. Vettel has been in decline for years. I hope he can have a strong end to his Ferrari career, I’d like to see him reunited with Kimi at Alfa for a year.

weekaizer wrote: »
    I’d like to see him reunited with Kimi at Alfa for a year.

Why?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ernie1c/status/1260104437315575808/photo/1

Doesn't sound as if Vettel will stay in F1, rumours now flying that he won't even start 2020.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ernie1c/status/1260104437315575808/photo/1

Doesn't sound as if Vettel will stay in F1, rumours now flying that he won't even start 2020.

Wouldnt be suprised. The relationship seems to have completely soured so wouldnt be the least suprised if he didnt start 2020 and just retired.

Wehrlein would be his replacement then for 2020 I suppose?

Now that would be a lucky break!

• Advertisement

Wouldnt be suprised. The relationship seems to have completely soured so wouldnt be the least suprised if he didnt start 2020 and just retired.

Giovanazzi, maybe Kimi.

Giovanazzi, maybe Kimi.

Could work aswell. With Kubica then filling in the vacant Alfa seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Or alonso ? (Come on alonso!!)

(Fernando. Charles is faster than you. Can you confirm you've understood this message)

Could work aswell. With Kubica then filling in the vacant Alfa seat.

Might also be Jackie Stewart filling in. Odds on Stirling Moss are only slightly longer than Kubica.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Here's a real long shot but not impossible.
    Schumacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Why?

Because i think the pressure of driving for Ferrari overpowered him. I don’t think he thrived in that environment. We saw him losing his cool on a number of occasions over radio...
    Reuniting with his favourite teammate, with much less pressure on to deliver results, I think we would see him enjoy his racing a lot more, granted he probably won’t be delivering podiums but he will be in the thick of it.
    Also if Kimi retires, he could even possibly get a season with Mick Schumacher in 2022, Michael was sebs inspiration growing it would be a great oppertunity to help develop Micks career...

Might also be Jackie Stewart filling in. Odds on Stirling Moss are only slightly longer than Kubica.

I knew it'd upset you but the fact is that Kubica is providing Alfa with their title sponsor and all the monies that go with that would give him an advantage if Alfa gets a vacancy. He is their reserve after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I guess Vettel did not like the idea of staying as the no 2 Ferrari driver. It would be strange to see Vettel at Mclaren if it happened. I am not sure if has been mentioned here before but Mclaren have been looking for 9 million from the British Government. No idea if they got it yet or if they will get it. There income has basically vanished overnight. I am surprised by that because like Lamborghini and Ferrari I would have though Mclaren would have a good order book of wealthy customers waiting and wanting to buy there for cars.

As for who gets the Ferraro seat now I have no idea but I am sure they will have lots of drivers wanting to get it. I could see Alonso trying but I doubt they will pick him. He had his turn. Kamui Kobayashi would be interesting if he decided to give them a call. I can see Romain Grosjean trying to get in there too. I think between Ricciardo and Sainj if it came down to that I would like to see Ricciardo get picked. Kimi has been at Ferrari twice so I don't see him going back. I think he is content and happy at Alfa. Less pressure on him.

Also if car companies are still struggling this time come early next year I can see Renault unfortunately maybe trying to sell there F1 team like they did that time they sold out to Genii Capital.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I knew it'd upset you but the fact is that Kubica is providing Alfa with their title sponsor and all the monies that go with that would give him an advantage if Alfa gets a vacancy. He is their reserve after all.

And a fine pay-reserve he is too - the side of a car never refused a sponsor but there's no way they'd want him to race their car.

I still wouldn't rule out Moss

• Advertisement

And a fine pay-reserve he is too - the side of a car never refused a sponsor but there's no way they'd want him to race their car.

I still wouldn't rule out Moss

Hilarious as ever its actually adorable the fetish.

Anyway Fabrega has said Ferrari want Sainz, Ricciardo or Giovinazzi in that order and all are available at the end of 2020. If Ferrari do need a replacement for a retired Vettel for 8 races I think its most likely to just use Wehrlein for 8 races than try to needlessly buy out any drivers contract. Wehrlein is already employed by them and more importantly superlicensed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement