Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Perez as an outside chance for Ferrari? Has pace, experience but unlikely to challenge the golden boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I reckon Carlos Seinz has it and Vettel will give McLaren 2 years, remember McLaren have Merc engine from next year so will be interesting to see how hed fair against Hamilton in the works team

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ELM327 wrote: »
    Bottas is like Irvine, Barrichello, Brundle, Coulthard.
    A solid driver capable of winning in the right car sometimes. But he's not a champion, let a lone a 4 time champ. So vettel deserves >4x his salary.

Not now he doesn't.

He's a 4 time world champion. That's in the bank. But his driving isn't up to that standard. He wasn't offered the same money or length of contract again this time. And nobody else will offer him the same money because he ai ply isn't worth it any longer.

It's not a slight against him. He's not even as fast as his teammate who's only entering his 3rd year. I doubt there's much between Vettel and bottas at the moment. Vettel might be a bit better but definitely not worth anything like x4 the salary - and that will be reflected in his next contract if, he gets one.

I see rumours saying sainz will get the Ferrari seat.

Would that be the youngest ever ferrari driver team? Sainz 25 and LeClerc 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Not now he doesn't.

He's a 4 time world champion. That's in the bank. But his driving isn't up to that standard. He wasn't offered the same money or length of contract again this time. And nobody else will offer him the same money because he ai ply isn't worth it any longer.

It's not a slight against him. He's not even as fast as his teammate who's only entering his 3rd year. I doubt there's much between Vettel and bottas at the moment. Vettel might be a bit better but definitely not worth anything like x4 the salary - and that will be reflected in his next contract if, he gets one.

I really don't understand how anyone with even the slightest bit of knowledge about how F1 works could think Bottas is anywhere close to being in the same league as Vettel.

Bottas is a third rate driver in a completely unbeatable car, doing the job Mercedes have asked of him, which is to not upset Hamilton and allow him to win races.

Vettel is a multiple world champion, back in the days when multiple teams were relatively competitive, and has managed to stay in touching distance of making championship challenges multiple times in the past few years despite a vastly inferior car, poor reliability, and frequent extremely poor strategy and driver management calls from the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

g1983d wrote: »
    I reckon Carlos Seinz has it and Vettel will give McLaren 2 years, remember McLaren have Merc engine from next year so will be interesting to see how hed fair against Hamilton in the works team

I feel before that were to happen, McLaren need to get ahead of the Pink Mercedes first, and then get ahead of Red Bull & Ferrari. In all likelihood, we prob won't get to see Hamilton v Vettel again (not any time soon anyway).

Harika wrote: »
    Vettel hasn't been a world champion since 2014, he was beaten by a guy in his second season who earns 10 million. How would you justify paying him three times as much?

Last year LeClerc was on about 1.3m compared to Vettel on 30m and beat him even though he was in his second season in f1 and first season in the Ferrari.

Vettel is grand but he's not great at the moment. He's probably not even very good any longer. He's certainly not worth x3 LeClerc. He's not even worth x1 LeClerc. He's trading on his reputation which is always going to bring pressure when he's beaten by a relative rookie on about 5% of his salary.

flazio wrote: »
    I'll be honest, if you're more serious about gunning for the championship and less about the moolah, I'd steer clear of Ferrari. Indications suggest to me that they are the team that will struggle the most with the cost cap.

Yeah but they'll just cheat. At the moment ferrari just produces one set of accounts for the entire business so it's already murky. It can use that to muddy the waters about what is and isn't f1 work.

I don't expect ferrari to comply with the cost cap and I don't expect f1 to look at them in too much detail.

F1 is a mixture of sport, business and entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭strawdog

quokula wrote: »

Vettel is a multiple world champion, back in the days when multiple teams were relatively competitive, and has managed to stay in touching distance of making championship challenges multiple times in the past few years despite a vastly inferior car, poor reliability, and frequent extremely poor strategy and driver management calls from the team.

I like Vettel and think on his day he's can be up there with the best. (the best are always up there even when its not their day). But I do think you're giving him too much credit. The Red Bull was head and shoulders the class of the field when he won his 4. And there was one year, the year before last I think, where Ferrari had a car good enough to challenge and he blew it with unforced errors

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Of course you can justify this. Or lets put it another way. Your the HR manager for a company looking at salary for two employees

Person A) Has over a decade of experience and was the best employee in the company 4 times.
    Person B) Has less than 2 years experience and hasnt proven themselves globally

I think Person A deserves to be paid more

Yeah but you left out a couple of important facts like the fact that last year person B out performed person A. And the fact that person A hasn't been on brilliant form for a few years.

If you're paying person A extra because they were the best in the past even though they're not at that level any longer, and aren't even better than person B any longer, that's fine. But say so.

• Advertisement

strawdog wrote: »
    I like Vettel and think on his day he's can be up there with the best. (the best are always up there even when its not their day). But I do think you're giving him too much credit. The Red Bull was head and shoulders the class of the field when he won his 4. And there was one year, the year before last I think, where Ferrari had a car good enough to challenge and he blew it with unforced errors

There were 2 years where Vettel had to really wrestle for the championship. I think the first year he didn't lead the championship until he won it in the final race. That took teat grit and we haven't seen that kind of grit in the last few years.

I like Vettel too. I'm just trying to not allow that to interfere with assessing his performance over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Reports now of Vettel going to Mclaren. He's due to be signed this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone comparing Vettel and Bottas in the same sentence needs their head examined. I'd take Vettel in a willams over bottas in a merc

I hope Alonso gets this seat in Ferrari.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Ah no. That's a really bad move.
    Just like the last multi WDC to leave ferrari for there, it's not auguring well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The Italian press have it that Sainz will be confirmed possibly as early as this week.

Harsh reality is Leclerc is Ferraris future ,Vettel was yesterday's man at Ferrari.

Before this story broke there where stories of Renault struggling to convince DR to stay - maybe DR could be McLaren bound ?

I think vettel sees his career as unfinished.
    He's gone the same as one ferrari icon (ALO) when he wanted to be like the other (MSC)

Therefore he's unlikely to come back in a midfield car. Redbull would be on the cards if it werent for max

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Sheeps wrote: »

A bunch in the guts for Vettel as very obvious Ferrari made the decision long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

vectra wrote: »
    What's that mean to show?

Art and Culture Jim.... Art and Culture. :D

• Advertisement

Yeah motorsport.com says it's happening. Fair play to Sainz. Happy for him. Ferrari has a strong lineup for next year

Ah no. I'm disappointed now, for Seb and for ALO. And for Sainz as he's ruined his career going there. He'll be #2 but never win a WDC now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ah no. I'm disappointed now, for Seb and for ALO. And for Sainz as he's ruined his career going there. He'll be #2 but never win a WDC now

I honestly believe that Sainz will finish ahead of Leclerc next year in the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sainz is such a strong driver at the moment in his career...Alonso helped him away from RB and the drive at McLaren, and now that was a lovely stepping stone to Ferrari. I think the initial move to McLaren has given Sainz a good and different perspective on any team. I don't think he'll do any wrong with Ferrari. Seb was playing the No. 1 driver card all along...Charles and Sainz will be on a level par within the team. And Sainz has shown he can drive any car given to him.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

BBC now running with Sainz to Ferrari and Ricciardo to McLaren. It does make the Renault seat more interesting as to who that'll fall to!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So Sainz to Ferrari (he really is Alonso Jr), and Ricciardo to McLaren.

Great move for both.

Question is weather Vettel sticks around now. I can see him heading off into the sunset now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

pjohnson wrote: »
    BBC now running with Sainz to Ferrari and Ricciardo to McLaren. It does make the Renault seat more interesting as to who that'll fall to!
    Would Renault approach Gasly and have an all French lineup like they did in the late 70's and early 80's?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,043 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »

I want Renault still to be in F1 next year and many years after. Do you think they will still be around next year?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Alonso back to renault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm a big Alonso fan but there's zero chance of him getting a seat in F1 again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement