Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Lando is also a marketers wet dream. A racing driver that's happy to talk to sponsors and someone that sponsors love to talk to.

Mclaren have the most PR days in the contracts of the drivers on the grid. Its why most of the big names leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

I've been watching various races in full over the last few weeks on YouTube. Any suggestions for entertaining races from 17/18/19? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This is it wrote: »
    I've been watching various races in full over the last few weeks on YouTube. Any suggestions for entertaining races from 17/18/19? Thanks :)
    2019 German Grand Prix.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

afatbollix wrote: »
    Lando is also a marketers wet dream. A racing driver that's happy to talk to sponsors and someone that sponsors love to talk to.

Mclaren have the most PR days in the contracts of the drivers on the grid. Its why most of the big names leave.

The PR events must be the worst part of the job. Even as an extrovert it must be exhausting to have to talk superficial shyte to so many people. For an introvert it must be really draining. At least while they're posing for selfies they don't have to talk or interact with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

barryribs wrote: »
    The only reason they are laying off staff is that they are not making money. Cost caps are myth. Staff will just move from Scuderia Ferrari to Ferrari. Whats to stop Mercedes investing in R&D for an energy recovery unit under the guise of using it in another series?

Isnt the issue arround ferrari that they dont issue seperate accounts so a cap might mean nothing to them.

It will be interesting to see how all this affects williams as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Rumour mill ongoing that Mercedes and Renault are looking to sell their teams. Mercedes wants to stay as engine supplier.
    Mazepin looking to be interested at least in Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well Lando only had one win in his F2 career tbf. Not everyone needs to be an F2 champ to get to F1.
    And he did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

ELM327 wrote: »
    And he did nothing.

Harsh judgment of someone who has just completed a debut season with a midfield team. Most people seem to think he did OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Harika wrote: »
    Rumour mill ongoing that Mercedes and Renault are looking to sell their teams. Mercedes wants to stay as engine supplier.
    Mazepin looking to be interested at least in Renault.
    McLaren to once again become the "works" team. All we need now is for Williams to convince Renault to stay as an engine manufacturer and we're almost back to the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

flazio wrote: »
    McLaren to once again become the "works" team. All we need now is for Williams to convince Renault to stay as an engine manufacturer and we're almost back to the 90s.

Brands such as Marlboro/West/Rothmans would cap it off or even the livery without the actual name. The Rothmans Williams Renault was one of the best liveries of all time. Modern ones are rubbish.

• Advertisement

Anjobe wrote: »
    Harsh judgment of someone who has just completed a debut season with a midfield team. Most people seem to think he did OK.

They drew 10-10 in quali. Sainz had the better results on race day. Scored twice as many points over the season 96-49 so a fair and square win for Sainz. Not a bad result for a rookie against the new ferrari signing though. Norris might be the real deal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Brands such as Marlboro/West/Rothmans would cap it off or even the livery without the actual name. The Rothmans Williams Renault was one of the best liveries of all time. Modern ones are rubbish.

That's when I fell in love with F1, Damon Hill in the Williams. I don't remember much of it but I do remember it was a fantastic looking car.

Fell away from it for a long time but Drive to Survive rekindled my loved for it and I've really enjoyed the last two seasons, and really looking forward to Sainz in the Ferrari. I'm generally not a fan of the best driver, whoever it may be, and I'd prefer the underdog. So the likes of Schumacher and Hamilton annoy me more than anything. Hopefully Hamilton's reign comes to an end this season, however unlikely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

They drew 10-10 in quali. Sainz had the better results on race day. Scored twice as many points over the season 96-49 so a fair and square win for Sainz. Not a bad result for a rookie against the new ferrari signing though. Norris might be the real deal yet.

Lando also missed out on a few unlucky points as well, 10 from Belgium among a couple others that would have seen them a lot closer in the points stakes

I just really love how all the main teams have a young guy that could genuinely be there for 10 years if things work out as they easily could, imagine these 4 decking it out for wins over the next decade plus whoever else is beside them

Leclerc - Ferrari
    Russell - Mercedes
    Norris - McLaren
    Verstappen - Red Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Norris was really unlucky last season; Points alone, when it's about a midfield team, can be a very misleading metric of comparison for drivers - there are always so many "unpredictables" compared to the frontrunners (first corner pileups, "friendly" nudges, breakdowns and so on) that it makes necessary to go check the actual races for a fair picture. Case in point, Kubica scoring Williams' only point while Russel was ahead the whole season.

Also, people seem to forget Sainz was pretty much matching Verstappen at Toro Rosso (and that's why I think the pairing with Leclerc is very interesting and there's a bit more there than a clear #1 and #2 arrangement).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anjobe wrote: »
    I see nothing to differentiate him with the likes of vandoorne.
    Sainz had a good midfield season team.

Sainz had a good midfield season team.

Vandoorne had two seasons and really didn't progress in the second season. We'll have to wait and see how Norris does in his second season. If he can make some decent progress then hell be in a category above vandoorne

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Its also worth noting that their points difference is the equivalent of Sainz finishing an average of 8th with Norris finishing an average of 9th. It's not a huge gap for a rookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently growing speculation that Wolff may be about to retire from his official role with Mercedes and instead move to a more unofficial role like what Lauda had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Stroll to replace Bottas :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

GarIT wrote: »
    Stroll to replace Bottas :eek:

Stroll to replace Hamilton if Stroll wants to go after a championship... he would also need a proper number 2 driver to help him... Does Irvine still have a super licence ;)

Stroll to replace Hamilton if Stroll wants to go after a championship... he would also need a proper number 2 driver to help him... Does Irvine still have a super licence ;)

Even now Stroll is playing support to Perez

I dont get the part involving Lawrence taking over Mercedes. Is he not basically already in charge of Racing Point/Aston Martin? (The other team Wolff owns shares in).

Unless Stroll plans to have Merc as big team with Aston Martin a junior team? But a factory junior team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Eh, except statistics, such as qualifying results and race results vs their team mate. Both of which are much more favourable for Norris.

Eh, except statistics, such as qualifying results and race results vs their team mate. Both of which are much more favourable for Norris.

Yeah but vandoorne's teammate was Alonso. That's not an effective yardstick to measure the guy against. Sainz is good but he's a normal driver, not an all time great.

Norris matched Sainz in quali (but the overall aggregate quali gap favoured sainz slightly. And sainz turned his quali into twice as many points as Norris. I think that shows good speed from Norris in his first season and good racecraft from sainz in his fifth season. That's about right to be fair.

And ROKiT Williams Racing are now just Williams Racing as thier title sponsorship has ended with immediate effect.

Williams the latest team supposedly up for sale.

And ROKiT Williams Racing are now just Williams Racing as thier title sponsorship has ended with immediate effect.

https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1266271422944403462?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Dutch GP gone now too. Its looking less and less like we'll have anything meaningful this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/11996648/williams-consider-selling-f1-team-as-part-of-strategic-review

According to Sky Sports the team is considering selling the team and are open the new investment or sale of part or the whole team.
    "Options being considered include, but are not limited to, raising new capital for the business, a divestment of a minority stake in WGPH, or a divestment of a majority stake in WGPH including a potential sale of the whole company."

Hard to see them racing later this year at all...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement