Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its amazing how narrow sighted the F1 folks can be. You take sports off free to air the numbers of followers drops off a cliff within 10 years. Its happened to so many sports over the years.

Problem for RTL is that they lost 50% of market share for F1 coverage over the last year's. They are back where they werr 1993. Less marketing revenue and no other TV station wants to catch this falling knife. With the likely end of DTM next year, no live car motorsports besides formula E in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Harika wrote: »
    Problem for RTL is that they lost 50% of market share for F1 coverage over the last year's. They are back where they werr 1993. Less marketing revenue and no other TV station wants to catch this falling knife. With the likely end of DTM next year, no live car motorsports besides formula E in Germany.

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2020/06/22/sky-to-air-formula-1-exclusively-in-germany-in-four-year-deal/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

And they were outbid by 30million euro. Sky Germany is paying 60million a year for four years while you can use the sky F1 app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53142880

More signs that F1 teams are in trouble?
    McLaren has taken legal action to allow it to secure "urgent" refinancing to address what it says is "severe and unexpected financial difficulty".

Hopefully this all works out.

The Race have a video suggesting Mugello, Imola, Algarve and Hockenheim for a race. As much as Imola would be awesome I'd love to see Algarve get a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The Race have a video suggesting Mugello, Imola, Algarve and Hockenheim for a race. As much as Imola would be awesome I'd love to see Algarve get a race.
    Would be nice to see the Portuguese GP back on the calendar, even if it was for one year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gintonious wrote: »

It would be kinda funny if they couldnt raised the loan funding and instead had to sell heavily devalued shares to Ron Dennis.
    I believe ron sold his shares for 275 million a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Has anyone tried signing up for f1TV pro here? Thinking about it last night, with the EU geoblocking rules, in theory you should only need a VPN to sign-up, and then the subscription from your 'home' country should be available wherever you are within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you sign up from a non geoblocked country via VPN can you then use it here?
    Have a vpn already because "reasons"

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you sign up from a non geoblocked country via VPN can you then use it here?
    Have a vpn already because "reasons"

I believe that's the idea of the EU geoblocking rules, yeah. For example, if you sign up in country X, the services available in country X should still be available to you when you're in county Y - for paid services only. Not tried it with F1TV pro though. If it works, it would be much cheaper than sky/now tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Gintonious wrote: »

They've gone through over £500 million in 18 months, and even after shedding 1200 jobs they need another £280 million to make it through to 2021? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah there's much cheaper ways to get access to sky sports, and damn good service to, I go with the free options myself, which are a little problematic, but I get over it

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah there's much cheaper ways to get access to sky sports, and damn good service to, I go with the free options myself, which are a little problematic, but I get over it
    I already pay for sky sports, I watch soccer and NFL in addition to F1 so I have it (in addition to being peeved when they lost the rugby rights). I was more curious than anything.

ELM327 wrote:
    I already pay for sky sports, I watch soccer and NFL in addition to F1 so I have it (in addition to being peeved when they lost the rugby rights). I was more curious than anything.

Good for you, but sky sports has become too expensive, I know many that have switched over to alternatives, mainly football fans, and I can't blame them, some really solid services out there, and sometimes no need for extra equipment

Good for you, but sky sports has become too expensive, I know many that have switched over to alternatives, mainly football fans, and I can't blame them, some really solid services out there, and sometimes no need for extra equipment
    Anything legal?
    It is expensive as you say.

ELM327 wrote:
    Anything legal? It is expensive as you say.

Unfortunately no, so I won't go into any details, but these methods are well known. I'm amazed at the amount of lifelong sports fans going down these roads to get access to their sports, I'm also amazed sky seem to be unable to stop it, there's obviously big money in it, sky have to bring down their prices

Unfortunately no, so I won't go into any details, but these methods are well known. I'm amazed at the amount of lifelong sports fans going down these roads to get access to their sports, I'm also amazed sky seem to be unable to stop it, there's obviously big money in it, sky have to bring down their prices
    Fair enough. I know boards doesnt allow this type of thing to be discussed or advocated, so I won't do that.

I'll just say that, while I'm aware of the "grey area" methods of getting paid for TV stuff for free, none match the functionality offered with a paid sub (like live recording, epg etc). 'Spensive though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Fair enough. I know boards doesnt allow this type of thing to be discussed or advocated, so I won't do that.

I'll just say that, while I'm aware of the "grey area" methods of getting paid for TV stuff for free, none match the functionality offered with a paid sub (like live recording, epg etc). 'Spensive though :D

You'd be surprised what 10e per moth will get you. Recording and full EPG etc.

Still you won't match the quality of Sky/Cable on those services. A genuine fan should support the industry and pay to watch IMHO

It wouldn't be cheaper anywhere else unfortunately

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was using a grey service up until recently. It wasn't fully reliable and the stress of it was too much!

Paying the €23 a month for NowTV (thread in BA about it). I'll just order 1 less takeaway a month and I'm not down any cash!

antodeco wrote: »
    I was using a grey service up until recently. It wasn't fully reliable and the stress of it was too much!

Paying the €23 a month for NowTV (thread in BA about it). I'll just order 1 less takeaway a month and I'm not down any cash!
    Does that offer "on demand" for "live" F1 (ie can I watch the race on the day it happens but later in the day?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You'd be surprised what 10e per moth will get you. Recording and full EPG etc.

Still you won't match the quality of Sky/Cable on those services. A genuine fan should support the industry and pay to watch IMHO

It wouldn't be cheaper anywhere else unfortunately

A genuine fan should support the industry and pay to watch IMHO

That is the problem right there. As said in this thread many times before lots of us would like to see the races live and legally instead of having to find an illegal way to watch it live or to make do watching the highlights but Sky in there great wisdom do not allow you to just buy the Sky F1 channel which is stupid. I have zero interesting any of the other Sky sports channels but would pay for the Sky F1 channel if I could just have that. Surely it can not be that hard for them to do that. If they want to dominate the broadcasting of this sport then that is what they should do and maybe fans would then start to come back to it again instead of it losing fans and life long fans too like the poster back there. Why should he have to pay for Sky if he has no interesting in anything else on it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Does F1 TV Pro not offer all the sessions live?

Does F1 TV Pro not offer all the sessions live?
    Not in some Geofenced areas where it;s behind a TV paywall.

AMKC wrote: »
    A genuine fan should support the industry and pay to watch IMHO

That is the problem right there. As said in this thread many times before lots of us would like to see the races live and legally instead of having to find an illegal way to watch it live or to make do watching the highlights but Sky in there great wisdom do not allow you to just buy the Sky F1 channel which is stupid. I have zero interesting any of the other Sky sports channels but would pay for the Sky F1 channel if I could just have that. Surely it can not be that hard for them to do that. If they want to dominate the broadcasting of this sport then that is what they should do and maybe fans would then start to come back to it again instead of it losing fans and life long fans too like the poster back there. Why should he have to pay for Sky if he has no interesting in anything else on it.

whats a genuine and not a genuine fan?

major broadcasters such as sky are simply monopolizing markets, this is pure wealth extraction and control, viewing sport is actually a very important entity to the well being of people, these monopolies are exploiting this need

Not in some Geofenced areas where it;s behind a TV paywall.

I see, that is not great. I actually just found a great option for F1TV but don't think I can post it. Not sure how "grey" it is, it doesn't restrict on location it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

whats a genuine and not a genuine fan?

major broadcasters such as sky are simply monopolizing markets, this is pure wealth extraction and control, viewing sport is actually a very important entity to the well being of people, these monopolies are exploiting this need

I consider myself a real fan and I didn't prioritise paying for f1. I make do with listening on radio and then catch up on C4 that night. One of the lads invites us around to his house every race so I see a few races live on sky.

I wouldn't pay big money for sky just to watch f1. I pay 100 a year to watch the pro 14 live and that's all of the family income that I'm willing to pay for sports subscriptions.

I consider myself a real fan and I didn't prioritise paying for f1. I make do with listening on radio and then catch up on C4 that night. One of the lads invites us around to his house every race so I see a few races live on sky.

I wouldn't pay big money for sky just to watch f1. I pay 100 a year to watch the pro 14 live and that's all of the family income thrt I'm willing to pay for sports subscriptions.

100 euro a year could get you the lot and more, and a solid service to

I see, that is not great. I actually just found a great option for F1TV but don't think I can post it. Not sure how "grey" it is, it doesn't restrict on location it seems

Did you, by any chance, purchase F1 TV whilst visiting an EU country where the service is available, and it continued to work when you came home to Ireland? There's nothing grey about that - I believe it's fair game as per the EU geoblocking rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

100 euro a year could get you the lot and more, and a solid service to

Really? From sky and legal?

To be honest, I've gotten used to listening on the radio. As here are only 20 drivers it's easy to keep up with the action on radio, particularly if you pair it with the f1 live timing app. Listening to rugby on the ridio is much more difficult as here are nearly 50 players involved in each match.

I'm kinda used to the radio and occasional live races.

Really? From sky and legal?

To be honest, I've gotten used to listening on the radio. As here are only 20 drivers it's easy to keep up with the action on radio, particularly if you pair it with the f1 live timing app. Listening to rugby on the ridio is much more difficult as here are nearly 50 players involved in each match.

I'm kinda used to the radio and occasional live races.

i cant go into it, sorry

• Advertisement

Did you keep paying for sky sports over the last few months?

I cancelled mine as there was nothing on. Only really wanted it for F1 anyway and I don’t think I’m gonna bother getting it back now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement