Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i cant go into it, sorry

Fair one. I'll keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Did you keep paying for sky sports over the last few months?

I cancelled mine as there was nothing on. Only really wanted it for F1 anyway and I don’t think I’m gonna bother getting it back now.

Yes, couldnt be arsed cancelling. We have movies too and the difference between movies and movies+sports was like a tenner a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I did the NowTV EUR 10 for a 1 Day Sports Pack last year for each GP. Think it is (or was) 720p, no pausing, no rewind etc.

I would consider myself a ‘true’ F1 fan, watching every race since very early 90’s, been to lots of races around europe, but I’m not going to get Sky just to watch F1.

EUR 200 or so a year is the cut off for me. Not because I can’t afford it, but because I don’t value it much more than that. Maybe if the spectacle was better and they got rid of the lame tracks I would reconsider. We’ll see how the budget cap changes things.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ELM327 wrote: »
    Does that offer "on demand" for "live" F1 (ie can I watch the race on the day it happens but later in the day?)

The NowTV? t's Sky F1 so same as normal. They repeat the race plenty throughout the day. Let me check the on demand piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

I pay £20 a quarter for every channel I can think of. I don't care if someone calls me a genuine fan or not, I get to watch all the F1, along with football, rugby, etc., and I even get the car cams for each, though I've never really used them. I can record and have a brief EPG.

I've far too many subscriptions as it is, Sky Sports is one I'm not willing to pay for. Far too expensive.

Anyway, can't wait for the new season to start :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I have my setup for €80 a year to watch any live channel, I can torrent anything I want and have it there in a matter of minutes

Yet I have a Netflix sub, because the price is reasonable

Not only is Sky Sports much too expensive, the contract makes it a no go as well

Hopefully other sports like the football looking at their own streaming platform can either vastly reduce the cost of Sky, or have F1TV available worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is sky really that bad.
    I have the f1 channel. It costs 7.50 or so per month on top of the basic sky package that we keep regardless.
    90 quid per year is a bargain.
    I have it via the hd pack deal where sky initially offered the f1 cjannel via the jd pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

mickdw wrote: »
    Is sky really that bad.
    I have the f1 channel. It costs 7.50 or so per month on top of the basic sky package that we keep regardless.
    I have it via the hd pack deal where sky initially offered the f1 cjannel via the jd pack.

Sky as a whole is expensive in my opinion. I pay Netflix, I pay Spotify, I pay Game Pass on Xbox and I pay IPTV. I've no issue with them because I believe they're reasonable prices, I think Sky is far too expensive to have it at all, basic package, F1, sports, movies, whatever.

I understand what I'm doing is wrong but I don't care to be honest, if I'm somehow caught I'll take my punishment.

Is sky really that bad.

That would be great if you could just get Sky F1 without any other subscription, for EUR 90, but you can’t.

Is sky really that bad.

Howmuch do you pay for sky in total?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

That would be great if you could just get Sky F1 without any other subscription, for EUR 90, but you can’t.

Thays the offer I have too, free with hd from the 1st year they offered it and get the hd half price every year when I threaten to leave, of I had to may more that would be the end of f1 for me outside of maybe going to a race.
    Couldn't justifybyne cost, especially as I seem to end up recording and fast forwarding the filler and boring bits which these days is a lot unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Howmuch do you pay for sky in total?

35 or so.
    FIr enough if you dont have or want any subscription tv but we have had sky years before the f1 went to sky and to honest, i was very pleasantly surprised when they offered f1 as a stand alone as opposed to having to take sky sports - that is a non runner as i dont watch football.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jv2000

I do not agree with anybody that qualifies your fandom of F1 by the amount of money you are prepared to spend on the sport. Interest, knowledge time spent thinking about the sport would define a true fan.

I am lucky to have the Sky Sports package and see it as a luxury. I am a fan of many sports but honestly with young children do not get enough time to watch many so I am probably paying over the odds for my usage. I have very few hobbies however (no time) and almost never drink. The reason I got sky sports in the first place was because I had many friends that said it was too expensive but every weekend without fail they would be in the pub to watch the football - for the cost of a few pints every weekend and having your home comforts, it was a no brainer. Also with young children the ability to record and watch later (probably stopping several times in between) is a huge bonus.

I will finish however by saying that F1 is indeed killing itself. The technology is no longer the cutting edge, FE has huge potential. Hiding the races behind expensive pay channels is also a big problem. I can tell you in the early 90s in the west of Ireland we had the 2 standard channels, my parents would have never in a million years subscribed to the sky basic package let alone the sports package. I would likely not be a fan today and this is surely the case for many young children in today's circumstances.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

What amazes me is that people are so flippant in relation to piracy, yes Sky can be expensive but in the grand scheme of life its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Part of the thing with sky is they employ idiots. David Croft being the main one, Simon Lazenby another, I can tolerate Ted.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    What amazes me is that people are so flippant in relation to piracy, yes Sky can be expensive but in the grand scheme of life its not.

Not sure why it amazes you. Piracy of films / box sets / sport is rampant, has been for years. Personally I don’t, but I would say that most colleagues / friends do stream / download pirated material stuff regularly.

Not sure why it amazes you. Piracy of films / box sets / sport is rampant, has been for years. Personally I don’t, but I would say that most colleagues / friends do stream / download pirated material stuff regularly.

I know people do its another thing to be so open talking about it online and admitting it.

Personally, like you I don't, I have Sky Sports/Bt Sport/Premier Sport/Eir Sport and that covers me for my sporting needs without resorting to piracy.

I know people do its another thing to be so open talking about it online and admitting it.

Personally, like you I don't, I have Sky Sports/Bt Sport/Premier Sport/Eir Sport and that covers me for my sporting needs without resorting to piracy.

I don’t watch any other sport, so EUR 45 a month is too much for 4 hours a month on average. As I said not because I can’t afford it, but because I don’t think the spectacle is worth more than EUR 10 a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

TCP/IP wrote:

Broadcasters such as sky are clearly trying to monopolise broadcasting rights to exploit sports fans, I've a clear conscious with the methods I use

I’m gonna see how I get on with just watching highlights on channel 4. I think their first full race showing will be silverstone.

• Advertisement

Broadcasters such as sky are clearly trying to monopolise broadcasting rights to exploit sports fans, I've a clear conscious with the methods I use

That's your decision and best of luck with it others have a different opinion on theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

TCP/IP wrote:
    That's your decision and best of luck with it others have a different opinion on theft.

Interesting use of words, are the broadcasters the ones thieving?

35 or so.
    FIr enough if you dont have or want any subscription tv but we have had sky years before the f1 went to sky and to honest, i was very pleasantly zurprised when they offered f1 as a stand alone az opposed to having to take zky sports - that is a non runner as i dont watch football.

35 for sky TV with f1 and broadband is a pretty good. I thought it cost far more than that. I just make do with free view and the online player apps. Maybe I've been too harsh on sky.

Interesting use of words, are the broadcasters the ones thieving?

No, they are not they have purchased the rights to various global sports legally and as a business resell it to the consumer who has a choice to view the presentation legally or not to view it pretty simple business economics really.

It's then down to consumers do they subscribe and pay or do they view it through means of theft, you prefer theft where as I prefer legal means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Williams Rokit sponsorship is about to appear on the Mercedes according to rumours.

No word on the proposed sale of Williams while rumours persist that Haas is up for sale and Red Bull would happily overload Alpha Tauri

I’m gonna see how I get on with just watching highlights on channel 4. I think their first full race showing will be silverstone.

I recommend the f1 live timing app. It's 20 quid a year and you can follow the race live through the app and on the BBC 5 radio which is part of the app. You actually get a very different experience from watching the images the TV director decides to show. You can follow all kinds of battles and you begin to notice patterns that the TV commentators don't have time to talk about. Plus, looking at on track battles in terms of time time gaps between cars is actually very useful. You can actually paint a vivid image of the action on track (if you already have an idea of the track layout from watching it previously)

If you're into audio media like audiobooks and podcasts then there's a good chance you'll like it. I still watch the race highlights in the evening but you'd be surprised by how engrossed you can get in the live timing.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Williams Rokit sponsorship is about to appear on the Mercedes according to rumours.

No word on the proposed sale of Williams while rumours persist that Haas is up for sale and Red Bull would happily overload Alpha Tauri

What's the story with Rokit? I thought they were a joke company like Rich Energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Depends on perspective, if you don't have Sky at all the €400 per year is the entire annual entertainment budget for 1/3 of the population.

Part of the thing with sky is they employ idiots. David Croft being the main one, Simon Lazenby another, I can tolerate Ted.

I'm the opposite, Ted is by far the best F1 presenter I've ever seen. The only one who gets into the interesting details. I can't stand Chandhook, Plamer and Di Resta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What's the story with Rokit? I thought they were a joke company like Rich Energy.

They paid all but £1m of their sponsorship, the total was somewhere over £10m and they owed exactly £1m at the point of the agreement being terminated.

It seems like a lot of their porducts are ****e or don't exist but they do own some legitimate businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Infoanon wrote: »

What do you mean, Williams Rokit to appear on the Merc. How would that work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement