Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What do you mean, Williams Rokit to appear on the Merc. How would that work?

I think it was supposed to be, Rokit, who previously sponsored Williams...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

GarIT wrote: »
    I think it was supposed to be, Rokit, who previously sponsored Williams...

How do Rokit manage to sponsor F1 when they sell decidedly average and not very popular Android handsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Part of the thing with sky is they employ idiots. David Croft being the main one, Simon Lazenby another, I can tolerate Ted.
    Which, whether you watch live by fair means or by foul, you can't get away from unless you do some jiggery-pokery with the radio feed or put up with not understanding a word the commentary is saying. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,623 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Inquitus wrote: »
    How do Rokit manage to sponsor F1 when they sell decidedly average and not very popular Android handsets?

They seem to be a professional far less controversial version of what Rich Energy wanted to be. A succesful brand/business for absolutely no genuine reason. They have quite a few prominent sponsorships and appear to be making enough money to manage to keep pulling it off but when you peek behind the curtain its just an empty cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

35 for sky TV with f1 and broadband is a pretty good. I thought it cost far more than that. I just make do with free view and the online player apps. Maybe I've been too harsh on sky.

No broadband. Never said anything about broadband. Sky broadband not available where i live. No broadband really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mickdw wrote: »
    No broadband. Never said anything about broadband. Sky broadband not available where i live. No broadband really.

Ah ok. I always think of them coming together.

Inquitus wrote: »

They own two beer brands, they offer some insurance, I think they do vaccum cleaners, they have something like a roomba and a sci-fi water purification system that doesn't actually work. So might be making some money somewhere.

They claim to be building the first citywide WiFi infrastructure in 25 Indian cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Mugello confirmed by sources for staging its first #F1 grand prix - and the 1000th for
    @ScuderiaFerrari
    - on Sep 11-13. It means European season now runs to nine races in opening 11 weeks, with three triple-headers. Intense just doesn’t cover it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Harika wrote: »
    Mugello confirmed by sources for staging its first #F1 grand prix - and the 1000th for
    @ScuderiaFerrari
    - on Sep 11-13. It means European season now runs to nine races in opening 11 weeks, with three triple-headers. Intense just doesn’t cover it!

Looking forward to the Mugello race though There's no room for error on the first corner at Mugello with no run off area on the left in the tracks current configuration.

The Bikes reach 300km + on the main straight - the race will be interesting noting Ferrari tested there this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

@ScuderiaFerrari

It screams desperation in fact. When has cramming ever worked for anyone ever? I just cant see this going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

It screams desperation in fact. When has cramming ever worked for anyone ever? I just cant see this going well.

Might also be preemptive in case a race needs to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

@ScuderiaFerrari

Should be interesting. That long straight with heavy heavy braking at the end will give a bit of overtaking. Lots of nice sweeping turns and a great looking circuit.

Really not enamoured with Mugello. It's narrow and twisty aside from the one long straight. Hopefully the unknown will make a decent race out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-facing-insolvency/

McLaren are in serious bother by the sounds of it.
    F1 is really struggling

g1983d wrote: »
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-facing-insolvency/

McLaren are in serious bother by the sounds of it.
    F1 is really struggling

I think the situation is being slightly exaggerated - basically secured bond holders 'A' are offering McLaren a loan at x interest rate ,Another bond provider is offering a loan at a lower interest rate but want the assets held by bondholders 'A'.

This is McLaren preferred option but they need bondholders 'A' to release the assets - they won't thus the court case and the urgency and mention of insolvency.

Where Mr.LatifI ,his 10% shareholding and his loan to Williams and willingness to buy Williams (?) Fits into this 'financial ' engineering by McLaren remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Part of the thing with sky is they employ idiots. David Croft being the main one, Simon Lazenby another, I can tolerate Ted.

I was about to agree and thank this but then you said you can tolerate Ted :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I was about to agree and thank this but then you said you can tolerate Ted :pac::pac::pac:

Tolerate does not mean like :D Ted is ever present as long as I’m watching F1, the others aren’t. Bring back Jim Rosenthal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Infoanon wrote: »
    I think the situation is being slightly exaggerated - basically secured bond holders 'A' are offering McLaren a loan at x interest rate ,Another bond provider is offering a loan at a lower interest rate but want the assets held by bondholders 'A'.

This is McLaren preferred option but they need bondholders 'A' to release the assets - they won't thus the court case and the urgency and mention of insolvency.

If its that straight forward, it should be ok but something smells abit and seems that they signed up to a pretty sh1tty deal originally. Why has a bondholder seemingly got a call over the entire factory and car collection when the borrowing was only a fraction of its value.

I was under the impression that the money they was secured against the factory and cars was already spent, and they want to use the same assets again to secure a loan.

mickdw wrote: »
    If its that straight forward, it should be ok but something smells abit and seems that they signed up to a pretty sh1tty deal originally. Why has a bondholder seemingly got a call over the entire factory and car collection when the borrowing was only a fraction of its value.

My understanding albeit a quick read is that the borrowing only has a call / security over part of an asset that McLaren want to sell / refinance in full - the issue is over the releasing of that part.
    The same Bond holders want to take over all of the asset and provide finance on all of the asset thus the impasse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Williams will be revealing a revised livery for their cars before the Austrian GP. Apparently the red colour will be dropped so the car will be pale blue and white.

GarIT wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the money they was secured against the factory and cars was already spent, and they want to use the same assets again to secure a loan.

Not exactly the same assets but you are not a million miles off - a huge element of this is the lower interest rate being offered by the alternative bondholders.

Nothing too unusual - Eddie Jordan did sell Jordan F1 twice after all (but not the access driveway !).

Other news breaking is that Williams will unveil it's new livery tomorrow

Not exactly the same assets but you are not a million miles off - a huge element of this is the lower interest rate being offered by the alternative bondholders.

Nothing too unusual - Eddie Jordan did sell Jordan F1 twice after all (but not the access driveway !).

Got anything good about Jordan? Have wondered over the years about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

How did he manage to sell Jordan F1 twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ Would much prefer to see it in natural light. I wish them well this year.

https://twitter.com/williamsracing/status/1276424938002567168?s=21

I know it won’t be on it if they get sponsors but I’m loving WILLIAMS emblazoned on the rear.

I like it all and can’t wait to see it in daylight.

I like the new livery but i like the old livery too. It was called the toothpaste livery and that idea that it was ridiculous, stuck. I know it's just the way these things work, but if someone comes up with a catchy put-down, it totally takes from the question of whether it's good or not.

Last year's Williams livery was both nice looking and distinctive. The car was shyte, but that's a separate point.

Can it run under it's own power? :P

• Advertisement

those > signs at the back are very like the Mercedes three pointed star. Coincidence or subliminal marketing for Mercedes? There's very little Mercedes branding on the car at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement