Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I could deal with another Hamilton win if there's a fight for it, and not a procession like last year

On reddit i saw that rain is predicted atm for this Sunday, one way it would make the two races in Austria different

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is it wrote: »
    Anyone but Hamilton!
    Yes, this is my outlook, his whiny social media attitude is bad enough at the best of times but it's really pungent now.

TBH with two shots at the Red Bull Ring, I think max has a better chance this year at the WDC

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The new Merc reminds me of the Saubers of the early 90s.

Which were powered by Mercedes afaik. It just didnt carry the actual Mercedes name. I think it was "Ilmor" and "Sauber" the engines were badged as.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Which were powered by Mercedes afaik. It just didnt carry the actual Mercedes name. I think it was "Ilmor" and "Sauber" the engines were badged as.
    That was 93
    In 1994 they were mercedes badged. Were a factory team I think, until that honor went to mclaren mercedes in (afair) 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

pjohnson wrote: »
    It said 'Concept By Mercedes Benz' on the engine cover of the 1993 Sauber C12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

F1 session times

Friday 3rd July 2020

Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
    Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)

Saturday 4th July 2020

Austrian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
    Austrian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Sunday 5th July 2020

Austrian Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 14:10)

Betting Odds

Lewis Hamilton 2/1
    Max Verstappen 2/1
    Charles Leclerc 5/1
    Valtteri Bottas 6/1
    Sebastian Vettel 7/1
    Alexander Albon 25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, this is my outlook, his whiny social media attitude is bad enough at the best of times but it's really pungent now.

Given that most of his social media output recently has been about his support for BlackLivesMatter, you might want to explain exactly (and carefully) what you mean here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Ordinarily anyone but Hamilton and Mercedes, but as Vettel is being dumped by Ferrari I’ll support him this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Anjobe wrote: »
    Given that most of his social media output recently has been about his support for BlackLivesMatter, you might want to explain exactly (and carefully) what you mean here.

Seriously? Cop on.

Seriously? Cop on.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭seamusk84

So happy F1 is back this week. After all the announcements for 2021 you would forget we have a calendar for 2020:

Seb leaving Ferrari
    Ric moving to McLaren
    Sainz going to Ferrari
    Speculation over Hamilton in Merc

All that is a year away!

Hope we can leave all that silly season stuff aside now and focus on the racing for 2020. So many races in July and August, it's going to be a great summer.
    Just hope we don't have Hamilton driving off into the sunset when the lights go out on Sunday. I'm very dubious of Ferrari this year and think Red Bull need the rule changes before they can really take the fight to the Silver Arrows.

Anyway, crack open the beer for 2pm on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

?

“you might want to explain exactly (and carefully) what you mean here.”

Hamilton is full of it. A few recent examples:

- He attacks Marko in public based on an hearsay. Didn’t contact him to see if he said what was claimed. He was forced to apologise.

- He disregards public health advice and social distancing to protest.

- He recently repeated his claim that he is ‘working class’ and struggled to make it in motorsport. His father was an accountant from Stevenage and he had backing from McLaren early on. Most struggle, he seems to think he was the only one. Apparently Stevenage is a ‘slum’.

- He posted a ‘pride’ flag yesterday. Great, fair play. Not so long ago he ridiculed his nephew for wearing a ‘princess dress’.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This isn't a political thread. GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

g1983d wrote: »
    How did he manage to sell Jordan F1 twice
    These are the reported facts:
    Jordan sold circa 40%+ of the team to Warburg Pincus in 1998 for a rumoured 60m.

Jordan received an equity investment from Warburg Pincus in 2001 giving Warburg Pincus a 49.9% holding.

An Irish consortium fronted by Merrion Capital bought this holding for circa 10 million in 2003.

2005 : Jordan is sold for 40m ( plus Jordans debts of 15m).
    And you wonder why Bernie used to bring Eddie to banker meetings !

You can piss right off with that.

Hamilton has been a primadonna for ages on social media.

“you might want to explain exactly (and carefully) what you mean here.”

Hamilton is full of it. A few recent examples:

- He attacks Marko in public based on an hearsay. Didn’t contact him to see if he said what was claimed. He was forced to apologise.

- He disregards public health advice and social distancing to protest.

- He recently repeated his claim that he is ‘working class’ and struggled to make it in motorsport. His father was an accountant from Stevenage and he had backing from McLaren early on. Most struggle, he seems to think he was the only one. Apparently Stevenage is a ‘slum’.

- He posted a ‘pride’ flag yesterday. Great, fair play. Not so long ago he ridiculed his nephew for wearing a ‘princess dress’.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything here. These are fair examples, nicely selected to make your point, and its easy to see why he rubs people up the wrong way. However a general comment writing off his social media as "pungent whining" could easily be misinterpreted at the moment.

ELM327 wrote: »
    You can piss right off with that.

Hamilton has been a primadonna for ages on social media.

Indeed he has, but that's not what your post said!

GarIT wrote: »
    This isn't a political thread. GTFO!

I didn't bring it up, I just called it out.

Indeed he has, but that's not what your post said!

I’ve read but not posted in this forum for many years. I read that post as Hamilton is a moany minnie. Something that’s been said about him for a very long time.

I think you’re seeing something that isn’t there tbh.

I’ve read but not posted in this forum for many years. I read that post as Hamilton is a moany minnie. Something that’s been said about him for a very long time.

I think you’re seeing something that isn’t there tbh.

I was hoping that was the case, that's why I thought he deserved the chance to explain, but he just responded with abuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Can't we all just get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Can't we all just get along?

Nah, we need to chuck any Hamilton fans out the gap :p
    But seriously though, leave the "calling out" to the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'd like to see Seb win the driver's championship (never thought I'd say that) as it would be typical Ferrari to win, and then lose the driver. Would also be somewhat strange to see a WDC being forced to take a year off, unlike Rosberg making his own decision. Would also like to see Danny Ric doing well and bringing Lando along for the ride. Be nice to see Williams score some points to maybe give them back some motivation and hope.

I had grown very bored in the past few years, being less and less motivated to watch a whole procession race. Now that it's been missing a while my interest has grown again so fingers crossed for some entertainment this coming weekend.

I didn't bring it up, I just called it out.

It's not your place to call anyone out, asshole. If someone is a complete racist here and thinks black lives don't matter that's completely fine. This is an F1 thread not a political one, it doesn't matter if you're Larry Murphy as long as you're talking F1.

If you have a problem with something there is a report button. If you don't have something to say about F1 don't say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭rock22

GarIT wrote: »
    It's not your place to call anyone out, asshole. If someone is a complete racist here and thinks black lives don't matter that's completely fine. This is an F1 thread not a political one, it doesn't matter if you're Larry Murphy as long as you're talking F1.

If you have a problem with something there is a report button. If you don't have something to say about F1 don't say it.

I for one am glad Anjobe did call him out.
    Far too much racism accepted in this country , to be honest.

rock22 wrote: »
    I for one am glad Anjobe did call him out.
    Far too much racism accepted in this country , to be honest.

Ok, I don't support BLM. And I'm sick of listening to hamiltons political ****. What are you going to do about it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I’ll be cheering on Max and Charles again this year, more in hope that one of them can give Hamilton a run for his money. Really don’t want Schumi’s 7 titles being equalled. :)

I haven’t been following F1 that closely the last while but have they said how many races there will be? Will we actually have enough races to crown a champion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Last year Austria was a Red Bull track....first two races in and we could have a lovely and interesting championship leaderboard for both driver and constructor.

The order as I may see it this weekend: 1. Red Bull, 2, Ferrari, 3. Merc, 4. McLaren, 5. The other Merc-coped team (Racing-dot)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Who’s your money on, lightning?

I’m talking F1 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So, who is everyone rooting for then?

I suppose I'm a Red Bull fan but would love to see Vettel win the WDC, especially if it's to be his final season. Not a fan of Leclerc or Hamilton, for similar reasons; they're a pair of moanbags.

I read that Merc have re-engineered their engine to better tolerate higher temps, but they seriously struggled in Austria last year so if they're still having issues at altitude, they could find themselves in a hole after the first two races.

Rain forecast for the weekend too, which would be nice seeing as we've a double header.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement