Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Anyway, crack open the beer for 2pm on Saturday!
    I have a bottle of Jarno Trulli wine I got a while back. I just hope it will be a trulli nice wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Probably anyone but Hamilton.

I really admired LeClerc in how he handled the ferrari pressure and beat Vettel. I've always liked Vettel, so I'd like to see either of those win. I really like Max and I suspect that he'll make Schumacher look like a mild mannered diplomat when he gets into a position to challenge for the title. So I'd live to see him in contention.

I admire Bottas for his stoical attitude and he seems like a great guy. So I'd like to see him win (obviously very unlikely)
    Danny Ric, Ocon, the mclaren boys. Anyone but Hamilton.

Actually I'd like really like to see a good fight for the championship. I think Hamilton is the best driver so the only chance that he won't win at a canter is if he's not in the best car. And that's not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I like the fact that it's a tight season with a smaller number of races. Sometimes the season seems to go on and on... that's ok when there's lots of action and unexpected results, but not when it's the same thing every race.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree, anyone but hamilton.
    I think if I had to pick anyone I'd like to see Seb win. As a big FU to ferrari for writing him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am also fed up of the Mercedes and Hamilton dominance of the sport the last few years. I would love to see Vettel win it or even Max Verstappen anyond but Hamilton this year. I hope it's a good tight fight at the front with at least 4 drivers fighting to be the champion at the end. I would like to see Daniel Riccairdo and Renault do well to and McLaren also. Hopefully William's do better this season as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

AMKC wrote: »
    I am also fed up of the Mercedes and Hamilton dominance of the sport the last few years. I would love to see Vettel win it or even Max Verstappen anyond but Hamilton this year. I hope it's a good tight fight at the front with at least 4 drivers fighting to be the champion at the end. I would like to see Daniel Riccairdo and Renault do well to and McLaren also. Hopefully William's do better this season as well.

I dont care who wins once it is not a merc or a merc driver,I would love to see 4~6 driver hassling Hamilton and fcuking up his races.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I would love to see Vettel win this year and move to Mercedes for 2021 for a showdown with Hamilton. I know it would never happen but it would make an amazing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ferrari got to Ferrari

Apparently they are abandoning their planned updates for Australia Austria after not seeing the results that were expected. The car will be the same as the one that finished testing in Barcelona. The team hopes to have updates ready for Hungary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ferrari got to Ferrari

Apparently they are abandoning their planned updates for Australia Austria after not seeing the results that were expected. The car will be the same as the one that finished testing in Barcelona. The team hopes to have updates ready for Hungary

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150238/ferrari-set-for-full-revamp-of-2020-car-in-hungary

Also Red Bull expecting more spank from their Honda V6

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150232/red-bull-hopes-boosted-by-new-honda-engine

Ferrari got to Ferrari

I thought they were going a different direction rather than updates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

vectra wrote: »
    I thought they were going a different direction rather than updates?
    They have the updates downloaded. All they have to do is install them.

Ms

Ferrari got to Ferrari

Jeez that's terrible. Mercedes managed to have updates and even rework there engine and Ferrari avd nothing. They are very inefficient at Ferrari if that is the case.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

New opening credits released yesterday.

Looks like they put a video of Jos Verstappen on fire behind Max. Lots of lovely clips in there.

https://youtu.be/JBFPP_BG-qo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

New opening credits released yesterday.

Looks like they put a video of Jos Verstappen on fire behind Max. Lots of lovely clips in there.

https://youtu.be/JBFPP_BG-qo

It's not the same beat as the last 2 years intro, nice little montage thing in its own right but doesn't have the same feel into the presentation of the intro with Croft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

AMKC wrote: »
    Jeez that's terrible. Mercedes managed to have updates and even rework there engine and Ferrari avd nothing. They are very inefficient at Ferrari if that is the case.

I wonder does it have anything to do with Italy being hit so hard by the virus? Perhaps their workers were kept away from the factory for much longer than the British based teams.

Ms

I wonder does it have anything to do with Italy being hit so hard by the virus? Perhaps their workers were kept away from the factory for much longer than the British based teams.

Maybe but they could still have been doing some work on there computers surly like designing new parts with CAD and testing it in computer. I know it's still not the same as testing the real thing and the result might turn out fifgerent but at least did would have been doing something and some of it was bound to turn out good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So what do we think, Austria is at 800m above sea level which generally narrows the gap between the Honda and Ferrari engines. The Mercedes seemed to be the car to beat after testing at Barcelona, but Red Bull impressed, while Ferrari did not especially.

Bookies have Hamilton a very marginal favourite over Max or at the same price @ 2/1, whilst LeClerc comes in 3rd Favourite @ 5/1, Bottas @ 6/1, Vettel @ 7/1 and Albon at a distant 33/1.

I have to admit I just like the racing (and the drivers) and a lot of the mechanics goes over my head.

Why does altitude make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Vettel is a good outside bet IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

flazio wrote: »

I was thinking that, or LeClerc.

How small can you bet, I was thinking of opening to occasionally stick a € on a driver to make it more interesting.

I think I saw once that the odds of a safety car in Singapore were significantly below the safety car occurance chance in Singapore, some unusual things like that come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I have to admit I just like the racing (and the drivers) and a lot of the mechanics goes over my head.

I read today that the design philosophy for Mercedes runs the turbocharger at maximum allowed revs more often than the Honda or Renault power units. At higher altitudes the latter can, effectively, be run at higher revs to increase air intake and hence power whereas the Merc PU not so much.

Plus aero is less effective in thinner air.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The air is thinner as you go up higher, the Mercedes Turbo already spins as fast as it can, so they can't force more air in to compensate, whereas the Honda can be turned up at altitude, this narrows the gap between the 2.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-why-its-the-air-that-poses-the-biggest-challenge-in-mexico.6qKZ7LcCKBT7xPTihVjIoq.html#:~:text=Mexico%20City%20sits%20at%20an,circuit%20on%20the%20F1%20calendar.

flazio wrote: »
    GarIT wrote: »
    I was thinking that, or LeClerc.

How small can you bet, I was thinking of opening to occasionally stick a € on a driver to make it more interesting.

I think I saw once that the odds of a safety car in Singapore were significantly below the safety car occurance chance in Singapore, some unusual things like that come up.

Just for fun I could do a sweepstake.

I’ll use random generator to mix up the alphabetical list of drivers. The new list will be numbered 1-20.
    The first poster to say they are in will get No1, 2nd No2, etc.

Any interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just for fun I could do a sweepstake.

I’ll use random generator to mix up the alphabetical list of drivers. The new list will be numbered 1-20.
    The first poster to say they are in will get No1, 2nd No2, etc.

Any interest?

Nah, my only interest is in thinking I can beat the system

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If your getting, check out Bet365 as they seem to offer the most markets on F1. I normally place a couple of accumulators on:

Qualifying match betting: which teammate will out-qualify the other

Race group betting: which driver will win their group (the grid is grouped into 4 groups)

Keeps the interest going in Q1 and Q2, and right down the grid during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Bottas is going full robot mode this year - I can't read him at all!!

I'm hoping he's a bad robot!!

106547769_1005500389867456_7266928032908741458_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fdub5-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=1&_nc_ohc=x7XYcWRnFL0AX-y_YFH&oh=b373c922050952156dcc78a335b68038&oe=5F2703C0

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I thought there was talk of Rokit moving their sponsorship to Mercedes? No sign of it on the race suits :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

They should just leave the car and race suits that colour, far far better. They can get their point with the ‘Silver Arrows’ across with the Mercedes badge itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement