Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Grand I now know you nothing about F1. Thanks for clearing that up nice and quickly

Ah no. Those are two instances that illustrate the point about Vettel's form going on two years.

At what point does his current form stop being a blip and become his current reasonable expected performance level? Do you expect Vettel to perform at his peak level these days, or more in line with his form of the last two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    Merc has totally dominated the hybrid era. Are you saying Ferrari were on par ?

Ferrari were lucky in 2007 to win. Since then it has been downhill for them.

I did reply and said not all those errors were solely his fault and I then asked you to name 5 drivers from any era that never made a driver error.
    Which you failed to address.

What has that got to do with Vettels errors? Having to go all the way back to 2007, again, what has that got to do with Vettel.

Ferrari were equally on par in 2017, but 2 of Vettel errors (losing the rag at Hamilton in Baku, and his start-line crash in Singapore) cost him higher points. So yes, they had the car, but his errors were costly.

I would argue that all of those errors were his fault, seeing as he was driving the car at the time they happened. Lots of drivers have made errors, just not as many or as frequent as Vettel in recent years.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Did he not bail out Racing Point with his own - as distinct from his sponsors - money at some stage?

I think so, but now that Stroll Snr has bankrolled them for the foreseeable, they don't really need Perez and his cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Harika

Gintonious wrote: »
    I think so, but now that Stroll Snr has bankrolled them for the foreseeable, they don't really need Perez and his cash.

Paying him out minus sponsorship money could be costly like 30 payout and 10 missing sponsorship. Will Vettel be able to provide this ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Looking forward to Vettels interview with Brundle.

Always find him entertaining. Loved the interview last year:

https://youtu.be/7X236TF7zPM

Seems more down to earth than people believe, at least compared to some of the other drivers. Loved his bit on social media and why he doesn’t partake in it.

Funnily enough when he was dominating I was never really a fan of his. Have grown to like him in recent years though.

Hoping he doesn’t leave F1 just yet. Would love to see what he’d do in another car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gintonious wrote: »
    What has that got to do with Vettels errors? Having to go all the way back to 2007, again, what has that got to do with Vettel.

Ferrari were equally on par in 2017, but 2 of Vettel errors (losing the rag at Hamilton in Baku, and his start-line crash in Singapore) cost him higher points. So yes, they had the car, but his errors were costly.

I would argue that all of those errors were his fault, seeing as he was driving the car at the time they happened. Lots of drivers have made errors, just not as many or as frequent as Vettel in recent years.

What has it got to do with Vettels errors :confused:
    As I already said, some of his errors came from having to push too hard. simple as that.

Ferrari were on par with Merc in 2017? you have evidence of this?
    I would say they were closer to Merc than any other team but not exactly on par.

Again as I already said, He was the cause of some of his errors, Baku being one,
    As for Singapore? I partly blame Max for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Grand I now know you nothing about F1. Thanks for clearing that up nice and quickly

Are you saying he didn’t do those things? There is video evidence you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Killinator wrote: »
    Senna is universally considered a great, and he ran other drivers off the road and drove into them if he felt it helped his situation....oh and he also crashed at Monaco in 1988 with a 55 second lead because of a momentary lapse in concentration under no pressure.......so......

Situations not comparable really...Senna crashed in Monaco cos he kept on pushing as hard as he could to humiliate Prost, and he won the championship by running Prost off the road. Vettel driving into Hamilton was just an act of red mist stupidity, revenge for something entirely in his own head, from which he could never gain any advantage. He was very lucky not to be more severely punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I see Kimi is doing an AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit. Maybe he’s waiting but 3 hours in he hasn’t replied to any yet.

Would be hilarious if he didn’t reply to anything or just gave one word responses haha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I see Kimi is doing an AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit. Maybe he’s waiting but 3 hours in he hasn’t replied to any yet.

Would be hilarious if he didn’t reply to anything or just gave one word responses haha

From reading it looks like he's doing his answers on Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

namloc1980 wrote: »
    From reading it looks like he's doing his answers on Sunday morning.

I was hoping he'd do it Sunday night, after a few beers.

vectra wrote: »
    What has it got to do with Vettels errors :confused:
    As I already said, some of his errors came from having to push too hard. simple as that.

Ferrari were on par with Merc in 2017? you have evidence of this?
    I would say they were closer to Merc than any other team but not exactly on par.

Again as I already said, He was the cause of some of his errors, Baku being one,
    As for Singapore? I partly blame Max for that.

If he is pushing (like pretty much all of the drivers do, FYI), it is still his fault if the car spins or he makes an error, not Ferraris.

The SF70H was very on par with Merc, evidence being the race wins and poles that it had to go with it, usually a sign of pace.

And for Singapore, he made a poor start and moved over. His error, not Ferraris or Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A little off topic but this is a cracking photo. These guys really were brave men, it is no wonder so many drivers died in that era.

https://twitter.com/TheBishF1/status/1284387462022823936?s=20

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

What an amazing picture would love to buy that framed

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It was such a shame Ascari left so early. His record for his short stint in F1 was incredible and well ahead of his time. I’m sure he was still in the top 10 most wins list in the early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

TCP/IP wrote: »
    What an amazing picture would love to buy that framed

This is the highest res version I could find on the web, if you click through, it would blow up a bit and frame nicely. It was colourised by a guy on reddit from the original B&W.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colorization/comments/7dcesv/front_row_of_the_1953_british_grand_prix/?ref=readnext

I would not wonder if the Vettel to Aston Martin rumours are pushed by red bull on purpose to destabilise the team. Politics as usual.
    Btw shocking that they are neither delivered on two tracks they won in recent years

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150641/f1-reports-two-positive-covid-test-results-in-hungary

2 positive tests for COVID in the f1 paddock. Doesn't seem to have made any difference.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is the highest res version I could find on the web, if you click through, it would blow up a bit and frame nicely. It was colourised by a guy on reddit from the original B&W.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colorization/comments/7dcesv/front_row_of_the_1953_british_grand_prix/?ref=readnext

Thank you so much the guy that did this has serious talent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

As I said in another thread and got disagreed with, the Mercedes 2020 engine has made a big leap on last year and that partially is why Ferrari looks so bad in comparison. They have progressed as much as Ferrari has regressed under their settlement. Even RedBull / Honda has say Mercedes has made a big leap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I found George Russells comments on Alex Albon very interesting - reminded me of Ron Dennis commenting to George Hill on the situation re Damon before Williams announces Frentzen had replaced him. .....is there a move to unsettle Albon at Red Bull ?....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Infoanon wrote: »
    I found George Russells comments on Alex Albon very interesting - reminded me of Ron Dennis commenting to George Hill on the situation re Damon before Williams announces Frentzen had replaced him. .....is there a move to unsettle Albon at Red Bull ?....

I think it's more a friend defending a friend, without using the absolute best wording

I don't think any of the new breed are guys who will stir shít among the other racers, Verstappen is more ruthless and competitive than the others so he'll go a bit harder but as a whole we won't see a whole lot

As I said in another thread and got disagreed with, the Mercedes 2020 engine has made a big leap on last year and that partially is why Ferrari looks so bad in comparison. They have progressed as much as Ferrari has regressed under their settlement. Even RedBull / Honda has say Mercedes has made a big leap

Mercedes might have made a big leap forward but it requires ferrari to take a relative step backwards to explain the way all the ferrari powered teams have moved towards the back of the grid.

All the teams have made a step forward in terms of both engine and aero (except ferrari engines which have had to comply with the rules this year).

Ferrari engines have mad a big step backwards relative to the others if not in absolute terms (I suspect the have gone backwards in absolute terms as they have to comply wit the rules this year as opposed to last year where they got a big advantage by getting around the rules)

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150641/f1-reports-two-positive-covid-test-results-in-hungary

2 positive tests for COVID in the f1 paddock. Doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Brawn said that they can deal with up to 10 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The people who tested positive were being brought into the "bubble" for Hungary having not attended the first two races, so that probably makes it a lot easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Inquitus wrote: »
    The people who tested positive were being brought into the "bubble" for Hungary having not attended the first two races, so that probably makes it a lot easier to deal with.

Autosport had it the other way around with others indicating that it was Austrian track workers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Does anyone here know are the two Silverston races going to be live on C4? Really hope they are.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Does anyone here know are the two Silverston races going to be live on C4? Really hope they are.

Yes at least the 1st https://www.channel4.com/4viewers/formula-1-coverage-update

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Only one as that is the British GP the other is going to be known as the 70th year GP.

The contract says the British GP is free to view where as it does not say that for other GPs in Britian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

We may as well write off this and next season to Mercedes. There will be very limited changes until end of next season due to the token system they have put in place. It's quite depressing :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement