Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

flazio wrote: »
    It's a wonder that Irvine didn’t stand under an Ulster flag, I know a Dutch driver in the W series stands under the flag of her Dutch region rather than the Dutch flag.

They wouldn’t allow it, here’s the post Argentina 97 article that mentions it.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/04/25/news/in-the-irish-news-on-april-25-1997-eddie-irvine-flags-up-issues-of-abuse-over-allegiance-1005853/

The tri colour and Union Jack were meant to alternate for podium finishes? What the hell?

http://www.irvtheswerve.net/faq.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Quite funny 'though. Also, AFAIK Zandvoort is in a fairly ridiculous place for a modern F1 race - basically a holiday beach village with cr@p all access roads - to the point Red Bull asked to be allowed to use 4x4s on the beach to reach the track. But they did have to do major works to adapt the track to the current standards.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's 30 mins on the tram line from Amsterdam central. Considering all the heavy machinery and work to the track and facilties, access is unlikely to be a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

F1 is cashing in on the big marketing opportunity in Holland otherwise known as Max Verstappen. Who is the last F1 driver that we can lay claim to? Ralph Firman was English born and raised with an Irish mother/licence. Eddie Irvine’s family received threats when the Irish flag was raised after Argentina 1997, also flown in Canada 1995

I don't think we can even use the granny rule for any drivers since Firman.

What's even sadder is wondering if there will ever be another Irish F1 driver. I'd imagine a few dozen Irish kids had their dreams crushed by the 2008 crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

flazio wrote: »
    It's a wonder that Irvine didn’t stand under an Ulster flag, I know a Dutch driver in the W series stands under the flag of her Dutch region rather than the Dutch flag.

You kids are so young. Irvine's racing superlicence affiliation was to the Royal Irish Automobile Club, the FIA associated body in Ireland. Like so many other sports, it covers all of Ireland and is represented by the tricolour.

Irrespective of his citizenship, he was an Irish driver and the tricolour being flown for his podium appearances was down to Formula 1 management and the FIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What's even sadder is wondering if there will ever be another Irish F1 driver. I'd imagine a few dozen Irish kids had their dreams crushed by the 2008 crash.

Check out what John Campion and CJJ motorsport are doing in Florida. Some man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

What's happening in Japan. Any chance of Suzuka and maybe Fuji before the end of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Harika

tigerboon wrote: »
    What's happening in Japan. Any chance of Suzuka and maybe Fuji before the end of the year?

Rising covid cases atm , no chance

I was going to say Adam Carroll was one who may have lost out due to the 2008 crash but he classes himself as British.

I think aside from the Middle East there'll be no flyaway races. For fairly obvious logistical reasons that they don't seem to like to mention in public. If a race in Portugal is cancelled at short-ish notice it's not that big of a deal. If a race in the Far East is cancelled at short notice then it's weeks/months of planning gone down the ****ter. Also don't they usually have a slow boat of equipment for the flyaway races and separate equipment for Europe? Going to Japan for example this year would likely mean air freight instead, unless they want to risk having a ton of stuff floating around for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Inquitus wrote: »
    He is forced to be aggressive by the lack of pace in the Red Bull compared to the Mercs, if he had an equal car and was chasing the championship and not just results, he would likely change his mindset.
    +1
    Put max in Seb's seat last year in the "quasi"legal ferrari and he'd have won the WDC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1
    Put max in Seb's seat last year in the "quasi"legal ferrari and he'd have won the WDC

Really? :rolleyes:

vectra wrote: »
    Really? :rolleyes:

I'm not understanding the comment.

Yes he would have. Max is a better driver at this point than Seb. Same as he is a better driver than lewis.

The ferrari from the first part of last season was the car to beat. Seb made too many mistakes. As always. And I'm a Seb fan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I'm not understanding the comment.

Yes he would have. Max is a better driver at this point than Seb. Same as he is a better driver than lewis.

The ferrari from the first part of last season was the car to beat. Seb made too many mistakes. As always. And I'm a Seb fan

Are you sure we were watching the same season?:confused:

I like Seb,
    I also like Max, but only "when Max behaves he does drive good"

But I still fee Seb is the better driver, I woulds go so far as to say if Seb had been Lewis's team mate since 2014, WDC's would be a different kettle of fish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Spain looking sketchy now with rising cases. Could be a tricky one for the F1 big wigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Lewis is being criticised for being anti Vax and spreading Bill Gates funding the vaccine to take over the world conspiracies on his Instagram.

It's a shame it isn't being demanded that he resign like it would be if he wasn't black.

He made a response saying he isn't anti Vax but some questions need to be answered such as the potential side effects and where the research funding is coming from and what the funder's (Bill Gates') motives are in trying to create a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He is quick enough to call everyone who doesnt support his cause ignorant. If he is taking the anti vaxer and conspiracy stance, he should look at himself and shout his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

GarIT wrote: »
    Lewis is being criticised for being anti Vax

He made a response saying he isn't anti Vax

Case closed??

Lads trip themselves up with the Lewis hate from : "he's disengenous and only says whatever is good pr" to "I cant believe he has an opinion on something,get him!!"

Is it any wonder so many don’t like Hamilton, I swear to god would he ever just fúck off and retire

GarIT wrote: »
    Lewis is being criticised for being anti Vax and spreading Bill Gates funding the vaccine to take over the world conspiracies on his Instagram.

It's a shame it isn't being demanded that he resign like it would be if he wasn't black.

He made a response saying he isn't anti Vax but some questions need to be answered such as the potential side effects and where the research funding is coming from and what the funder's (Bill Gates') motives are in trying to create a vaccine.

You'd like to demand he resign?

He really should STFU about science. I think he's done a great job on BLM. I presume he actually knows what he's talking about on that, but being anti vac is just being a tool. Do a degree in the relevant field of biology and then get into the debate.

He shouldn't resign. But he should STFU about things he doesn't have a clue about. I would never accuse Lewis of being generally very smart or articulate or well informed on many issues in the world. BLM is one that he had personal experience of through being black. Anti-vac is kinda the mark of the moron in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not sure he should resign, but he really should shut up about vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's already being discussed in the Talk about Lewis thread, that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

mmm, that huge drop towards the first corner, mix in the current field of utterly impatient drivers...I'll be waiting for this :D

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    mmm, that huge drop towards the first corner, mix in the current field of utterly impatient drivers...I'll be waiting for this :D
    The only way it would be better is if crashtor was back on the grid!

We've still got the torpedo. Hopefully he takes out both mercs and we can have a good race!

The only way it would be better is if crashtor was back on the grid!

We've still got the torpedo. Hopefully he takes out both mercs and we can have a good race!

Vettel would need to be at the front to take out the mercs. More likely he'll take out Max and the Mercs disappear into the distance with nobody to compete.

Vettel would need to be at the front to take out the mercs. More likely he'll take out Max and the Mercs disappear into the distance with nobody to compete.

I presume you're being sarcastic but for the sake of doubt avoidance, torpedo = kyvat.

I presume you're being sarcastic but for the sake of doubt avoidance, torpedo = kyvat.

I say Vettel could challenge for the title. Kvyat had been pretty sensible at the start in recent times, unlike....

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭mun1

The trolling is particularly weak today . Can we try a bit harder please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How many of the current drivers still on the grid have raced there? I can think of 3 at least , Kimi , Vettel and Lewis.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Maybe the mercs will get in on the carnage at the time they lap the rest of the field :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement