Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

AMKC wrote: »
    How many of the current drivers still on the grid have raced there? I can think of 3 at least , Kimi , Vettel and Lewis.

In Portimao?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,167 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mun1 wrote: »
    The trolling is particularly weak today . Can we try a bit harder please

Kvyat earned the nickne of torpedo for his terrible crash record earlier in his career (and a particular spell where he seemed to keep hitting Vettel) but he hasn't been in the wars at all recently. Vettel on the the other hand, has. If you class saying that as trolling then I think you're denying reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The common denominator for the phrase, the torpedo, would then seem to be all related to Vettel :D. Maybe he is the Crash-attractor?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    In Portimao?

Yes in portimao.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

So Ferrari have said they don't expect to win a race until 2022 at the earliest. It's an utter disgrace that the rules don't allow other teams to even try to catch up with Mercedes until 2 years from now. I get that they wanted to save on costs, but what is the cost of having what will essentially be a non-championship in 2021 with the exact same results as 2020? How many fans will be left to keep the teams profitable in future?

• Advertisement

Yes in portimao.

None of the drivers you mention raced there afaik....last race was 1996...Kimi started his F1 career 5 years later.

I think VDG covers it in his tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That was Estoril. Portimão was only built in 2008. Pérez raced there in GP2, don't think any other current drivers have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Most recent F1 driver to race in Portugal was Michael Schumacher i think, that was at Estoril in 1996.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Hill is glued to his gearbox for the entire time weaving around trying to force him into a mistake. Great to see it

It was close racing on a great track without DRS. Look how poor F1 is now compared to then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It was close racing on a great track without DRS. Look how poor F1 is now compared to then.

And very little downforce judging by the size and angle of the rear wing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

None of the drivers you mention raced there afaik....last race was 1996...Kimi started his F1 career 5 years later.

I think VDG covers it in his tweet.

Yes and he says it was eleven years ago so 2009. That is why I mentioned them other drivers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

At least he got the win the following year during trying times for him (missed previous races due to illness and his dad died). Fisi in the Jordan ran him kinda close, but eventually retired with a tire failure.

Yes and he says it was eleven years ago so 2009. That is why I mentioned them other drivers.

Oh if just from that season then you can possibly add Grosjean, depending on the month in question. He replaced Piquet in the Renault for the end of 2009.

duploelabs wrote: »
    And very little downforce judging by the size and angle of the rear wing
    It was brilliant times in F1
    At least he got the win the following year during trying times for him (missed previous races due to illness and his dad died). Fisi in the Jordan ran him kinda close, but eventually retired with a tire failure.

Briatore told him he wasn't racing in Hockenheim 97 and lawyers had to get involved. Yes his father died in a plane crash wasn't it? Wurz stood in for 3 races scoring a third place at Silverstone, he was catching Alesi for second and told to hold station.

Fisichella was running second that day, got back to the pits, changed the tyre and the car died on track soon after wasn't it? He hitched a lift on the back of Schumacher's Ferrari after the race.

Whether we like it or not, and i do like it, Berger was the king of the old Hockenheim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah absolutely wonderful racing. When they announced Imola was returning I recalled the last two races there with epic battles between Schumacher and Alonso, and it's depressing to know that today, even if we still had drivers of that calibre, and even if we still had cars that were competitive with each other, we still wouldn't get racing of that quality because the nature of the current cars prohibits close racing, and prohibits pushing hard for long periods of time, and even if we didn't have those problems, DRS would completely neutralise the battle anyway.

quokula wrote: »
    Yeah absolutely wonderful racing. When they announced Imola was returning I recalled the last two races there with epic battles between Schumacher and Alonso, and it's depressing to know that today, even if we still had drivers of that calibre, and even if we still had cars that were competitive with each other, we still wouldn't get racing of that quality because the nature of the current cars prohibits close racing, and prohibits pushing hard for long periods of time, and even if we didn't have those problems, DRS would completely neutralise the battle anyway.

It's what we should have every season though, close racing between 2 or 3 teams, Imola a prime example. One thing with Imola though, and i see it taking the spotlight off the race itself, is it will be Hamilton's first time there in F1 and also at the track where Senna essentially died, Hamilton will never be the driver Senna was regardless of what the records say.

Schumacher and Alonso went hammer and tongs at it in 05 & 06, clean racing with no messing.

DRS will ruin this race as well.

Oh if just from that season then you can possibly add Grosjean, depending on the month in question. He replaced Piquet in the Renault for the end of 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Algarve_GP2_Series_round

It was the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I liked the layout of the Estoril circuit when it last held a Grand Prix in 1996:
    Estoril94.cf7f4c98c33ed5a0440b617cc79be500.png

Raced on that circuit in Microprose Grand Prix 2 and Ubisoft F1 Racing Simulation.

The 1972-1993 layout was my favourite:
    Estoril72.cf7f4c98c33ed5a0440b617cc79be500.png
    Raced on that on Microprose Grand Prix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Raced on that circuit in Microprose Grand Prix 2 and Ubisoft F1 Racing Simulation.

Good good times!

• Advertisement

I liked the layout of the Estoril circuit when it last held a Grand Prix in 1996:

The Gancho chicane is where the McLarens collided in 95.

The Geoff Crammond games were my childhood.

The Gancho chicane is where the McLarens collided in 95.

The Geoff Crammond games were my childhood.

Coulthard & Hakkinen? That was 96, the final race there sadly. It was scheduled as the final race of 97 only for track standards to come into focus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,296 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For anyone with a Kindle, Adrian Newey's autobiography How to Build a Car is 99p on Amazon for today only.

Coulthard & Hakkinen? That was 96, the final race there sadly. It was scheduled as the final race of 97 only for track standards to come into focus.

Yes, you're right. McLaren were still using the Marlboro livery in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭racersedge

The 1972-1993 layout was my favourite:
    Estoril72.cf7f4c98c33ed5a0440b617cc79be500.png
    Raced on that on Microprose Grand Prix.

Them Grand Prix game memories!

First corner has changed their now, hasn’t it? Not the sweeping corner it was. Probably be of those lightbulb ideas to increase overtaking with making it a more severe breaking zone as opposed to sweeping the apex. Can recall sim-racing there a few years ago before time led to me having to hang up the gloves.

Yes, you're right. McLaren were still using the Marlboro livery in 1996.

Was it Hakkinen who hit Coulthard in that race? It’s still weird looking back seeing DC in a red racing suit, you’d be forgiven for thinking he was in a Ferrari. His only season in red at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Good good times!

Man, how good was that game, hours and hours given to it.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Santan wrote: »
    Man, how good was that game, hours and hours given to it.

Microprose Grand Prix 2 was an amazing game like you I wasted hours on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

quokula wrote: »

I'm sorry, but this is a classic case of rose tinted glasses - "close racing" was utterly rare at the time, and only happened in the last few laps if at any point during the race. Refueling made it so that drivers preferred, and were often told to in no uncertain terms, to just "hold station" until the pitstops. Most races were indeed decided in the pits.

Hockenheim was an oddball track - sort of a "light Monza" where you had a lot of straight, but that final Motodrom section required a minimum of aero load; it created an ideal situation for overtaking as the cars still punched a decent "hole" of turbulence on the straights to make slipstreaming effective.

The issue today is not the DRS, it's the lack of competition - which can't be blamed on anything but the utter sh1te job teams other than Mercedes have been doing, I'm afraid. The likes of Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren and Renault can't even use the excuse of "budget".
    TCP/IP wrote: »
    Microprose Grand Prix 2 was an amazing game like you I wasted hours on it.

These games were pretty much perfect in the context of what was possible at the time - GP2 only really lacked wet weather. The level at which the Gran Prix series "reproduced" the on-track environment of a Formula 1 week end is still unmatched even today - they had that "this is an F1 race you can take part in" feeling, rather than the Codemaster's F1 series "toy" feeling of "hey kid, this is a mock up of F1 just for you". I don't know how to put it in better words :)

The biggest thing about Geoff Crammond's games were their accessibility while keeping the depth - if you really wanted, you could go full on with realistic performances, no driving aids and whatnot, but the games were so scalable that anyone could play and have one hell of a good time at them. Heck, they played perfectly even with a keyboard - F1 2019 (haven't tried 2020 yet) is nearly impossible to enjoy with an analog pad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Zaph wrote: »
    For anyone with a Kindle, Adrian Newey's autobiography How to Build a Car is 99p on Amazon for today only.

Well worth a read. Have a hard copy somewhere, if anyone wants to pay for postage I will send it to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement