Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is a classic case of rose tinted glasses - "close racing" was utterly rare at the time, and only happened in the last few laps if at any point during the race. Refueling made it so that drivers preferred, and were often told to in no uncertain terms, to just "hold station" until the pitstops. Most races were indeed decided in the pits.

I agree with this. Remember as well team mates were usually told not to race each other after the final pit stops as well. Very frustrating for the fans if for example 2 ferraris were well out in front. Took a while for the sport to cop on that stuff like this was really bad for the product as a whole. Raising the front wings in 2005 was in hindsight once of the stupidest things the sport has ever done. Dirty air was big problem before this, but afterwards it became pretty much impossible to get near the car the front, let alone pass them. This is the Trulli trains became a common sight. The current formula is far from perfect, but the racing is generally much better than what it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fake passes though, on DRS.
    The 00's races dont include the passes in the pits, which were the big chess tactical battle of the day

On another note, has anyone got the F1 2020 game? Last one I had was F1 2017 and this year seems a lot better with the my career mode introducing a lot of management/tactical aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭quokula

OSI wrote: »
    This graph again :p

521428.png

Yeah watching people drive past slower cars on the straight with their DRS open doesn't mean anything for the quality of the racing.

This graph which shows how many people have continued to bother tuning in is probably a much more accurate reflection of the quality of the action.
    3thvpp4ari801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

quokula wrote: »
    This graph which shows how many people have continued to bother tuning in is probably a much more accurate reflection of the quality of the action.
    3thvpp4ari801.jpg

A lot of countries lost F1 from free to air in the past couple of years, which has certainly affected viewership numbers, so it's not that straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

H3llR4iser wrote: »

These games were pretty much perfect in the context of what was possible at the time - GP2 only really lacked wet weather. The level at which the Gran Prix series "reproduced" the on-track environment of a Formula 1 week end is still unmatched even today - they had that "this is an F1 race you can take part in" feeling, rather than the Codemaster's F1 series "toy" feeling of "hey kid, this is a mock up of F1 just for you". I don't know how to put it in better words :)

The biggest thing about Geoff Crammond's games were their accessibility while keeping the depth - if you really wanted, you could go full on with realistic performances, no driving aids and whatnot, but the games were so scalable that anyone could play and have one hell of a good time at them. Heck, they played perfectly even with a keyboard - F1 2019 (haven't tried 2020 yet) is nearly impossible to enjoy with an analog pad...

I looked on YouTube at some guy doing a season with the game, brought back some great memories of trying to get the last tenth out of qualy by changing wings, or gear ratio and many other things. Actually never thought I would think it, but was enjoyable watching the guy racing, and as he noted, the AI was great at silly errors and reliability for the other cars.

• Advertisement

One of my favorite races from a strategy perspective was the schumacher race in hungary, where he passed people in the pits. These are strategy passes caused by better driving

DRS now is fake, caused by fake tire wear and an overtake button.

Bring back the N/A V10 and refuelling I say

Santan wrote: »
    I looked on YouTube at some guy doing a season with the game, brought back some great memories of trying to get the last tenth out of qualy by changing wings, or gear ratio and many other things. Actually never thought I would think it, but was enjoyable watching the guy racing, and as he noted, the AI was great at silly errors and reliability for the other cars.

I really hate how much I enjoy watching people playing racing games on YouTube. :pac:

I really hate how much I enjoy watching people playing racing games on YouTube. :pac:
    I've watched two channels doing an entire season and a bit at this point.
    aarava and tiamut marduk I think are the names.

It's actually really entertaining.

ELM327 wrote: »

Enjoyed Jimmy Broadbent for a while but he's gotten a bit irritating now that he's not completely depressed the whole time. :pac:

Aye I have been following the daily ups and downs of Marduk Motorsport, find it very enjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye I have been following the daily ups and downs of Marduk Motorsport, find it very enjoyable!

Same here. Poor Mick Schumacher wasn't up to it in Season 1!

Inquitus wrote: »
    A lot of countries lost F1 from free to air in the past couple of years, which has certainly affected viewership numbers, so it's not that straight forward.

Unique viewers in 2018 and 2019 were 490m and 471m up significantly on previous years driven largely by increased Far East market and new viewers in the US and Europe brought in by Netflix's Drive to Survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

quokula wrote: »
    Yeah watching people drive past slower cars on the straight with their DRS open doesn't mean anything for the quality of the racing.

3thvpp4ari801.jpg

You know its bad when they go to the bother of introducing a decimal point:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

There is no way Im paying for a F1 Channel. Sky took mine off me after a contract change but they can stick it up their A***
    I cannot see the justification here for a unique Pay F! channel. Im sure millions of LifeLongf F! fans would feel the same as me. Especially in its current state.
    Thanks to Channel 4 for picking up some of the rigts and Highlights. Race is live there this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,208 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Parsnips wrote: »
    There is no way Im paying for a F1 Channel. Sky took mine off me after a contract change but they can stick it up their A***
    I cannot see the justification here for a unique Pay F! channel. Im sure millions of LifeLongf F! fans would feel the same as me. Especially in its current state.
    Thanks to Channel 4 for picking up some of the rigts and Highlights. Race is live there this weekend.

i certainly wouldnt be paying broadcasters such as sky, but theres plenty of 'alternatives' id certainly consider

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Parsnips wrote: »

Ive still retained my legacy right to F1 channel via hd package.
    Im quite aware that it might not be wise to cancel sky for a period as id likely lose it and have to take sky sports to get it back but currently i think its a good deal.

mickdw wrote: »
    Ive still retained my legacy right to F1 channel via hd package.
    Im quite aware that it might not be wise to cancel sky for a period as id likely lose it and have to take sky sports to get it back but currently i think its a good deal.
    I have sky sports and hd anyway for NFL and (previously) rugby.
    So I get sky f1 anyway

I have sky sports and hd anyway for NFL and (previously) rugby.
    So I get sky f1 anyway

I used to subscribe, but when BT Sports came out that drastically diluted the selection available on Sky Sports. I mainly had it for the F1 and European Rugby, and am not willing to pay for 2 channels to get what I used to have with just 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 29,208 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gintonious wrote:
    Love this a lot.

That's the job

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »

Love the dropped s:

Norri
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭This is it

Certainly becoming a fan favorite, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭blackbox

Bring back the N/A V10 and refuelling I say

You obviously don't remember the sound of the V12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

blackbox wrote: »
    You obviously don't remember the sound of the V12.

The Ferrari V12 oh good Lord the music to my ears it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭naughto

Will we ever see refueling back with the way the cars are going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No chance, You seen more over traking been done in the pits than on the track and no manufacture wants to be seen as a gas guzzling company.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,167 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it wrote: »
    Certainly becoming a fan favorite, great to see.

It's hard not to like him. He clearly has a sense of humour and doesn't take himself too seriously. I hope he has the focus and killer instinct when his opportunity comes. I'm Certainly a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Hulkenberg will now get a chance to put himself in the shop window for 2021 it seems, all he needs to do is outperform Stroll, if he can't do that he may as well retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Hulkenberg will now get a chance to put himself in the shop window for 2021 it seems, all he needs to do is outperform Stroll, if he can't do that he may as well retire.

Tough blow for Perez trying to keep his seat for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Don't you know Perez seat will go to Gutierrez, still I'd love to see something a big mad.

Who knows with the way the year is going.
    Two theories I'd love the most (from Reddit so no concrete chance of either), is:

A.) Hulk comes back, gets a podium and rides off in the sunset (would love this!)
    B.) Merc pull the Merc links, push Russell up to RP to see how he handles the faster car (and possibly an old Merc), and then Jack Aitken into Williams for a test of his ability.

I'd imagine option A (as slim as it is) is the most probable, at least for Hulk taken the spot (you may remove the podium).
    But I'd love either to happen.

See Russell in a faster car, albeit less time to prepare for the leap, or Hulkenberg having a chance to show he still has it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement