Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

g1983d wrote: »
    Tough blow for Perez trying to keep his seat for next year.

Huge! He obviously contracted it while in Mexico? That’s 2 races of an already shortened season he now has to sit out, i reckon he’ll go back to Sauber for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,167 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hulkenberg will now get a chance to put himself in the shop window for 2021 it seems, all he needs to do is outperform Stroll, if he can't do that he may as well retire.

Where are the free seats for next year? Haas? Maybe Alfa? Is Ocon signed for next year? It's early days (new team and had a break) but he hasn't been very good in the first few weekends.

I'm sure Hulk would take a seat at the back of the grid but I doubt any of the big teams will want him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Huge! He obviously contracted it while in Mexico? That’s 2 races of an already shortened season he now has to sit out, i reckon he’ll go back to Sauber for next season.

I have a tenner with a pal that he goes to Haas with all of his money.

Where are the free seats for next year? Haas? Maybe Alfa? Is Ocon signed for next year? It's early days (new team and had a break) but he hasn't been very good in the first few weekends.

I'm sure Hulk would take a seat at the back of the grid but I doubt any of the big teams will want him.

People lose their seats on the eve of an F1 season, just ask Jarno Trulli

Gintonious wrote: »
    I have a tenner with a pal that he goes to Haas with all of his money.

Will they ditch Grosjean I wonder? I’d rather Magnussen to stay. Haas need the money and rid of Ferrari engines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know it probably won’t happen but would be funny if Vettel went to Racing Point and outperformed the Ferraris.

I just hope his career doesn’t end with this failed challenge. Obviously he’s spoken about his dream of racing and winning for Ferrari due to Schumi but it just didn’t happen.

Ferrari sound like next season is a write off already so makes sense to move on to a younger driver for a longer planned turnaround. Makes more sense now than when it was announced.

Anyway for the weekend I’d love to see Norris on the podium again.

Also think Russell will again show his ability on a track he knows well. Truly out driving that Williams car. Would be brilliant to get a fluke points finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know it probably won’t happen but would be funny if Vettel went to Racing Point and outperformed the Ferraris.

I just hope his career doesn’t end with this failed challenge. Obviously he’s spoken about his dream of racing and winning for Ferrari due to Schumi but it just didn’t happen.

Ferrari sound like next season is a write off already so makes sense to move on to a younger driver for a longer planned turnaround. Makes more sense now than when it was announced.

Anyway for the weekend I’d love to see Norris on the podium again.

Also think Russell will again show his ability on a track he knows well. Truly out driving that Williams car. Would be brilliant to get a fluke points finished.

I was thinking this myself this evening,
    Would be even better if he beat the RB and a Merc or two:pac::pac:

vectra wrote: »
    I was thinking this myself this evening,
    Would be even better if he beat the RB and a Merc or two:pac::pac:

Imagine haha

I’m happy for Sainz but I’ll miss the chemistry of himself and Norris.

Not sure if people have watched the McLaren teammate videos they’ve done but the two are gas and seem to be really good friends which is odd in the sport.

It's pretty likely that the Tracing Point will be better than the Ferrari again next year. Even if they're cheating by collaborating with Mercedes, the FIA rarely actually punish teams for cheating. They're much more likely to change the rules for 2022 onwards to prevent everyone from doing likewise.

I read that Tracing Point (and presumably all the customer teams) will get a freeby regarding development tokens going into next season. Any parts that Mercedes legitimately sell to them, like the engine and gearbox, will automatically be updated for customers when Mercedes works team upgrade them. So Mercedes will need to spend development tokens, but Tracing Point won't spend tokens as they get them automatically. So RP can spend it's development tokens on other parts of the car.

I presume this means all the customer teams will have a small advantage over the works reams in development (so Seb at RP will have that advantage over ferrari too)

I'd caution against crediting Russel with "Truly out driving that Williams car". We don't actually know how good either Russel or the Williams cars are. Last year the car was crap, and they had two unknown qualities in a rookie Russel and a returning after injury and a long break Bobby K. This year they probably have an improved car but also have another rookie in latifi. So we don't have any solid benchmars to measure either the car, Russel or latifi.

If, for example, Magnussen or Danny Ric was in the other Williams, then we'd have one solid benchmark to measure the car and Russell against. But we don't have any way of measuring them so we can't really declare Russel to be "truely out driving that Williams car".

I'd also wobder if the Williams,as a Mercedes customer, has also miraculously developed the "scanning" technology RP claims to have. Williams is cash strapped but I wonder if they have "scanned" a few Mercedes parts too but not as many or as obvious as RP. It might have been cheaper to "scan" those parts rather then develop their way out of the lemon of a car they had last year. They're not under the same scrutiny from other teams to the point that nobody noticed they have been running different aero packages on the cars all season so far because they only had one set of the upgraded parts. It only came to light when Williams announced both cars will run the upgrades from this weekend.

I see some F1 gear going on sale early this year.

https://www.mandmdirect.com/02/fts/?search=f1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Customer teams won't get 2021 parts without using tokens.

They will only get 2020 parts to use in 2021.

It’s Hulk in the RP!

It would be brilliant if he got a podium.
    I’m definitely rooting for him. Exciting stuff.

Pretty sure he’s finished in the point here in 8 of his 9 seasons, or something along those lines. Now possibly in the best car he’s had for a podium.

Oh I hope it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It’s Hulk in the RP!

It would be brilliant if he got a podium.
    I’m definitely rooting for him. Exciting stuff.

Pretty sure he’s finished in the point here in 8 of his 9 seasons, or something along those lines. Now possibly in the best car he’s had for a podium.

Oh I hope it happens.

It would be great if it was Nico and Sergio at Racing Point next year and Stroll could maybe go th Alfa Romeo. I do not think Kimi will stick around to long if the car is still at the back of the grid.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I see some F1 gear going on sale early this year.

https://www.mandmdirect.com/02/fts/?search=f1

Well as much as it would be nice to own something from Ferrari if I bought them trainers they would never get worn. So I bought some other bits instead lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Marko saying that if RP is deemed legal, alpha tauri will be a red bull clone next year and Vettel could drive there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

weisses wrote: »
    Marko saying that if RP is deemed legal, alpha tauri will be a red bull clone next year and Vettel could drive there. :D

Don't think he would be to keen on a clone of this year's Red Bull.!

Listening to Sky commentary team and can't but help feel that they are preparing the UK audience for Albon being demoted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Infoanon wrote: »
    Don't think he would be to keen on a clone of this year's Red Bull.!

Listening to Sky commentary team and can't but help feel that they are preparing the UK audience for Albon being demoted

For who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

namloc1980 wrote: »
    For who?

No names mentioned

Infoanon wrote: »
    No names mentioned

Hardly Gasly or Kvyat surely.

In Albon's 12 races with Red Bull he's finished in the top 6 in 10 of those races. In the other two he was taken out by Hamilton - in Brazil last year and Austria a few weeks ago. Fairly harsh to demote him in fairness.

Hardly Gasly or Kvyat surely.

In Albon's 12 races with Red Bull he's finished in the top 6 in 10 of those races. In the other two he was taken out by Hamilton - in Brazil last year and Austria a few weeks ago. Fairly harsh to demote him in fairness.

Harsh maybe, but Marko rules with an iron fist. Plus the main red bull boss is still ‘in love’ with Vettel

• Advertisement

Harsh maybe, but Marko rules with an iron fist. Plus the main red bull boss is still ‘in love’ with Vettel

Given the Mercs will always be on the podium all things considered and with Max also there and the Pink Mercedes, the most Albon can ever do is finish consistently in P4-P6 which is exactly what he's done to date. Vettel is slow even taking account of the Ferrari, he's miles behind Leclerc most of the time. Not sure he'd be doing much more in that Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

AMKC wrote: »
    It would be great if it was Nico and Sergio at Racing Point next year and Stroll could maybe go th Alfa Romeo. I do not think Kimi will stick around to long if the car is still at the back of the grid.

Isn't today the deadline for a Perez decision with RP contract?

Ms

No idea. Hopefully someone in here knows do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Given the Mercs will always be on the podium all things considered and with Max also there and the Pink Mercedes, the most Albon can ever do is finish consistently in P4-P6 which is exactly what he's done to date. Vettel is slow even taking account of the Ferrari, he's miles behind Leclerc most of the time. Not sure he'd be doing much more in that Red Bull.
    The problem with Albon, to date, is that he is too far behind Verstappen in terms of time both in qualifying and on race day. He is scoring points but finishing forty seconds adrift of his team mate. Gasly performed somewhat better and is a better driver than Albon but still got the boot. Red Bull are looking for another Webber - somebody who will push the team leader hard, pick up the occasional victory and secure second place in the constructors championship which is the most realistic goal at the moment given Mercedes dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The July 31st deadline was just a rumour according to the team
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez-racing-point-exit-clause/4847375/

AMKC wrote: »
    Well as much as it would be nice to own something from Ferrari if I bought them trainers they would never get worn. So I bought some other bits instead lol.

Those trainers are a serious statement. I'm not sure what the statement is but it's a big one!

skipper_G wrote: »
    The July 31st deadline was just a rumour according to the team
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez-racing-point-exit-clause/4847375/

Keep an eye out for Seb today. If he's walking around like the cat who got the cream, then Perez got F'ed in the A

Ms

Those trainers are a serious statement. I'm not sure what the statement is but it's a big one!

Well whatever it is it was not the statement I want go be making.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Keep an eye out for Seb today. If he's walking around like the cat who got the cream, then Perez got F'ed in the A

If its happening I'd love for all the drivers to move now, would spice up the whole lot.
    Obviously merc would be still miles out in front and it'd be sheet for Perez.
    One way to slow down the mercy I think would be for the live broadcast to barely mention them, if they concentrate on where the racing is Merc will soon decide that they need to slow down to get on the tv

• Advertisement

Interesting article by Gary Anderson on some of the reasons behind Red Bull's struggles

https://the-race.com/formula-1/has-red-bull-hit-the-limit-of-its-high-rake-designs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement